Author Topic: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!  (Read 40282 times)

illini27

Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.  I really enjoy the stories/ethical dilemmas but have never offered one before. 

BG.  Thursday morning I board a flight to Las Vegas.  I was traveling alone but meeting some close friends for an annual guys trip.  I get seated early in the boarding process and settle into a window seat in a middle row of the plane. It is a four hour flight and I planned to work on my laptop for the better part of the trip.  I start reading a book until we takeoff and the use of electronic devices became permitted.  Midway through boarding, 3 women, late-40ish (10 years my senior), stop at my row. 

They spend 10 seconds looking at their boarding passes and then ask if I would kindly trade seats with one of their group so they could sit together. 

What seat, I ask.  "Uh, the middle seat in the last row." 

Now if this were a family with children or an issue of special needs, I think I would have approached this slightly differently. 

I thought for a moment and responded, "I am afraid that won't be possible," and turned my attention back to my book. 

The two ladies took their seats, with the third lady hovering in the row in front.  I generally ignored the continued pleas, which ranged from slight flirtation to the "but we want to sit together" rant I expect to hear from my own children when they do not get what they want.   They pleaded with the stewardess for some assistance.  Turns out the rear seat passenger had just assumed they were all sitting together and she never bothered to actually check if the airline had assigned her a seat.  After a few minutes, the stewardess took a stand and told them if they wanted to sit together, they could  all move to the back of the plane.  They took her advice, and two travelers stuck on the last row eagerly accepted the move to seats that actually recline and were not in direct proximity to the bathrooms. 

It was nice to have a succinct, polite response to what I viewed to be an unreasonable request.  I avoiding moving out of some perceived obligation to be the nice guy to these ladies, or starting an argument.  Either would have put a cloud on my trip.  Thanks!

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
Love to hear about great experiences!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
Love to hear about great experiences!

...especially when they involve air travel! Good stuff!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
You handled that well, and it seems it worked out well for all involved, thanks for sharing!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »
Bravo.  It's irritating when people presume that their desire to sit together on a plane trumps your being comfortable and being able to work. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:14:36 AM »
If it was so important that they sit together, why didn't they make sure they had seats together when they first booked the flight?  Not your problem.  You were fine.

mime

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
Well done! I hope that in the same situation I can display such a polite spine.

I really like the flight attendant's advice, too: if they want to sit together then they can sacrifice their own comfort.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »
Good job. Glad the flight attendent handled it the correct way.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
Nicely done!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »
They were SS'y to not think of all moving to the back of the plane themselves. 
But, the result was good.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
As a little tag onto this story, when we flew to England last May our tickets were booked by a third party (it was a school trip).  The Eagle and I were flying from Denver to Toronto and my mother was flying from Seattle to Toronto.  There was no way we could try to book seats together on the flight from Toronto to England.  When we boarded the flight, I asked a few people sitting around us if they were traveling with anyone and if they would mind switching with my mother.  The Eagle and I were seated at the very back of the plane and my mother was about 10-15 rows ahead of us.  Everyone declined quite politely...and that was that!  I said thanks for at least listening to my request and settled in for the flight.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think they were out of line at all to ask...just that they didn't accept the decline gracefully.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Rohanna

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
The last flight I took was overbooked and we almost were bumped- they tried to seat me, my then 9 month old and my 4 year old in different seats. *I* thought that would make for a quiet flight for me, personally  ;) Then they assigned us seats in the exit row- but no one minded switching to those.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
Then they assigned us seats in the exit row- but no one minded switching to those.
Really? They put a baby and a small child in the exit row? That is supposed to be occupied only by people who are old enough and able-bodied enough to be able to assist others to get out in case of emergency. Most countries have laws that specify that.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
Then they assigned us seats in the exit row- but no one minded switching to those.
Really? They put a baby and a small child in the exit row? That is supposed to be occupied only by people who are old enough and able-bodied enough to be able to assist others to get out in case of emergency. Most countries have laws that specify that.

I think what she was saying, was that they were assigned the exit row seats, and then people with other assigned seats were willing to swap with them.  So, the plane didn't take off with kids in the exit row. 

Basic idea, is that the person that doesn't have to swap should get at least a tiny upgrade. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
Ah! I interpreted "but no one minded switching to those." as "none of us minded switching.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data