Author Topic: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!  (Read 42398 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 11:22:40 PM »
Then they assigned us seats in the exit row- but no one minded switching to those.
Really? They put a baby and a small child in the exit row? That is supposed to be occupied only by people who are old enough and able-bodied enough to be able to assist others to get out in case of emergency. Most countries have laws that specify that.
I think that is what she meant about it being easy to find people to switch with her. It doesn't surprise me, I've had it happened 2x.

1. sis and I were 5 and 9 or there abouts. We were sitting separate from our parents, who were in the smoking sections. When we got to our seats there were three obnoxious 20 somethings in our row. We slid into the exit row and tried to explain to them they were in our seats. Then the man who should have been on the aisle of our row showed up. They wouldn't move for him either. He called the attendant over. If looks could kill - we would have all been dead. She told us to sit in the emergency row. I was torn between breaking the rule about sitting in the emergency row and the rule about doing what the attendant says to do. So I said "but we are too young to sit here Ma'am" she smiled and said are you smart enough to know not to try and open the door in flight?.  I replied You don't even touch the windows unless a crew member tells you to pull down the curtain because it makes my Mom nervous. Dad's face when he came up to check on us, but the adults around us assured him everything was ok. (The 20 somethings had tried to open the emergency door in flight. I surprised they weren't arrested.)

2. I was traveling with 2 cousins age about 4 and 6. We were seated in the emergency row. I complained about this at the desk, at the gate, when we boarded. I was assured it was fine - until the middle of take off when the attendant moved my cousins but wouldn't let me move. It was an Austin to Houston flight so go up go down. The seatbelt light never went off. I could hear the 4 yo tormenting his sister. The other people on the flight were asking the attendant to let me move back to the kids. She refused. Finally after the 6 year screamed in terror. I undid my belt and moved back to them. They were seated with no other passengers around them - no one to help them if the o2 masks came down or we had to evacuate. She threatened to have me arrested - but the guys in the 3 piece suits made it clear they were going to raise hell about how she treated us. When we got off I told my Aunt - the kids Grandmother about what had happened. We went to complain - and found out 3/4 of the passengers had complained about how the kids and I were treated.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

menley

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 09:24:50 AM »
Bravo, OP! I know it can be hard but the "it won't be possible" was the perfect response.

I had a situation recently where I was traveling alone. I specifically picked an aisle seat near the restroom as I have IBS. The woman sitting in the center asked if I would switch with her husband and said, "Oh, he's in an aisle seat too, it shouldn't be a problem." Well, we went to his seat and I saw he was in a middle seat, basically as far from any restroom as you can be! I said, "I'm sorry, but this won't be possible." She made an annoyed noise but ignored me the rest of the flight, luckily. I still don't know why she lied about which seat he was in... it's not like I wouldn't very quickly find out! :)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
She probably thought that she could pressure you into taking the seat after she got you to move. 

Ginger G

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 11:50:53 AM »
I had a business trip a couple of weeks ago travelling from SC to Wyoming, so a long way to go and several different planes.  On my longest stretch, I was looking at the seating chart on the monitor before boarding and was happy to see that the middle seat of my row was not filled (I had an aisle seat).  Of course my luck did not hold and sure enough by the time I got to my row there was a woman sitting in the middle seat.  Her husband comes up to me and asks me if I would switch seats.  I asked if it was a middle seat, of course it was (2 rows in front of mine), so I politely declined.  I had booked my flights as soon as I found out about the trip specifcally to avoid having to sit in the middle seat, so there was no way I was going to change for a 4 hour flight.  He gave me the rudest scowl imaginable, and walked away.  Somehow he still managed to find someone to switch because a young guy came over and he and the woman switched.  I told the young guy he was very nice to give up his aisle or window seat for a stranger! 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
I will happily move to an equivalent or better seat, if asked.  But to give up my aisle seat as close to the front of the plane as I was able to book it for a middle seat at the back of the plane?  Not going to happen.  Ever.

(I suffer from severe motion sickness.  I find it much worse in the back of the plane than if I'm close to the wing or forward.)

OP - you did great!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
My daughter and her friend were on a flight but were not sitting together.
But one lady was happy to move from her middle seat to an aisle seat farther up the plane that had extra legroom!
We thought ahead of time of how we could offer a better seat to someone so they could sit together.

misha412

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »
Sorry I am coming late on this one.

A number of years ago I was traveling across country from NC to Nevada. I had an aisle seat. I got seated early and the flight was full. Towards the end of boarding, a lady came up who was assigned the middle seat. She asked me if I minded trading seats as her traveling companion was seated in the seat across the aisle from me. I said I would be happy to trade with her companion if they wanted to sit together.

Her reply?

"No. We both want the aisle seats. They are more comfortable."

"Then I will have to say no." was my reply.

I like the aisle or the window seat because the middle seat makes me a bit claustrophobic. I prefer aisle to window. This was the only leg of this trip that I actually got the aisle seat. I was not giving it up.

stkatie00

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
DH and I were flying from DC to Phoenix with our 20 month old twins (last trip before we have to pay for seats for them). It's important to know that each section of a plane has one extra air mask for a lap child, so we cannot sit together (so, in this case, where it was a plane with 3 seats on each side of the aisle, we could sit across the aisle from each other, but not in the same set of 3 seats). In order to get aisle seats across from each other, we were in the very back row. When we boarded, there was a man in DH's seat. He had originally been assigned the middle seat next to me, but he was flying with his daughter (she was probably 9 or 10), and refused to move. The flight attendant ended up asking the lady in the aisle seat a row ahead to move to that middle seat next to me, since, as I said, DH and I could NOT sit next to each other. The lady was very gracious about it, but her husband was ticked off they would be sitting apart from each other. If the first man's daughter had been younger, I could have understood a bit better, but she seemed old enough that sitting apart shouldn't have been an issue-especially since he's whole attitude just screamed that he didn't care about the inconvience to others he was causing.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »

A number of years ago I was traveling across country from NC to Nevada. I had an aisle seat. I got seated early and the flight was full. Towards the end of boarding, a lady came up who was assigned the middle seat. She asked me if I minded trading seats as her traveling companion was seated in the seat across the aisle from me. I said I would be happy to trade with her companion if they wanted to sit together.

Her reply?

I like the aisle or the window seat because the middle seat makes me a bit claustrophobic. I prefer aisle to window. This was the only leg of this trip that I actually got the aisle seat. I was not giving it up.

Of course you were fine to deny their request - but, in fact many couples (especially if at least one of them is on the larger-body-size) do in fact prefer facing-aisle seats.  Sometimes it's the best version of sitting "together".

missmolly

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »
Any David Sedaris fans here? He wrote about a flight where a woman tried to pressure him to swap with her husband for a seat that he hated and acted very petulant when he politely refused.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 01:17:45 AM »

Her reply?

Of course you were fine to deny their request - but, in fact many couples (especially if at least one of them is on the larger-body-size) do in fact prefer facing-aisle seats.  Sometimes it's the best version of sitting "together".

But that doesn't sound the reason.  It was ok for the op to be uncomfortable in a middle seat at least ro them.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
DH and I were flying from DC to Phoenix with our 20 month old twins (last trip before we have to pay for seats for them). It's important to know that each section of a plane has one extra air mask for a lap child, so we cannot sit together (so, in this case, where it was a plane with 3 seats on each side of the aisle, we could sit across the aisle from each other, but not in the same set of 3 seats). In order to get aisle seats across from each other, we were in the very back row. When we boarded, there was a man in DH's seat. He had originally been assigned the middle seat next to me, but he was flying with his daughter (she was probably 9 or 10), and refused to move. The flight attendant ended up asking the lady in the aisle seat a row ahead to move to that middle seat next to me, since, as I said, DH and I could NOT sit next to each other. The lady was very gracious about it, but her husband was ticked off they would be sitting apart from each other. If the first man's daughter had been younger, I could have understood a bit better, but she seemed old enough that sitting apart shouldn't have been an issue-especially since he's whole attitude just screamed that he didn't care about the inconvience to others he was causing.

Wait!  He was sitting in your dh's assigned seat and he wouldn't move and the GA didn't make home move either? 

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 11:27:32 AM »
I would have told your DH to go ahead and sit in the guy's lap, and that way DH would be sitting in his assigned seat.  But yes, I am a bad person willing to start something.

stkatie00

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »

Wait!  He was sitting in your dh's assigned seat and he wouldn't move and the GA didn't make home move either?

Yup-he said something like, "No, I refuse to move. I MUST sit with my daughter." Since the other lady said she would move, it got worked out, but I'm not sure what would have happened if she hadn't.

Asharah

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »

Yup-he said something like, "No, I refuse to move. I MUST sit with my daughter." Since the other lady said she would move, it got worked out, but I'm not sure what would have happened if she hadn't.
Well, why didn't he book two seats together. If he waited until the last minute to book the flight and then couldn't get two seats together I would say that falls under "Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
Asharah