Author Topic: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!  (Read 31486 times)

CharlieBraun

Re: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 01:28:36 AM »
For those that have had seats switched on you at the last minute.  I don't know if all airlines do this, but all the ones I flew on as a road warrior did.  24 hours in advance you can print a copy of your boarding pass.  Once you have a boarding pass, you are considered almost unmovable by the airline.  Also, if you go in 24 hours in advance and find that they've moved you, then is the time to complain.  The closer you get to boarding time, the harder it will be for the airline to move you.

This doesn't work if you already have checked in online. Once you are checked in online, you can't change your seats,

But the airline can.  And generally, their excuse is "change in equipment".
"We ate the pies."

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
Just to add a bit more, while speaking to the CS person on the phone I was told, "the FAs would NEVER place a child alone on the plane....unless the child is over 9, because at 9 a child is fine flying by themselves."

Isn't it interesting how the airlines decide when a child is old enough/mature enough to be alone?  I get that kids fly as unaccompanied minors all the time (and the airlines set those age guidelines), but to basically imply that I was being unreasonable by wanting my child next to me (it was in the tone, impossible to convey in text).

I offered to pay for upgraded seats and was bluntly told no.  They basically told me that there was nothing I could do and I would have to take my chances at the airport.

It was super stressful for me.  I will say that I plan to do EVERYTHING in my power to avoid flying with this airline ever again.  I can see why they are in bankruptcy and hope the courts make it very painful for them to ever recover.
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2013, 09:04:46 AM »
For those that have had seats switched on you at the last minute.  I don't know if all airlines do this, but all the ones I flew on as a road warrior did.  24 hours in advance you can print a copy of your boarding pass.  Once you have a boarding pass, you are considered almost unmovable by the airline.  Also, if you go in 24 hours in advance and find that they've moved you, then is the time to complain.  The closer you get to boarding time, the harder it will be for the airline to move you.
This doesn't work if you already have checked in online. Once you are checked in online, you can't change your seats,
I guess I left it unsaid that if they've moved you don't check-in, but do call in to complain right away. 

Sidenote:  It is really such a shame that most airlines seem to actively work at making the travel experience so miserable.  \

suzieQ

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »
Not to defend the guy with the daughter, but we had a similar situation recently.  I booked our flight over 3 months in advance.  I was allowed to select our seats on the out bound flight, but the website would NOT allow me to choose our seats for the return flight.  I tried multiple times over the months to book our seats, but the website always showed all seats (except one or two single seats at random intervals) as filled.  I finally called the airline and they were quite rude and unhelpful.  They basically told me I would have to wait until we got to the airport for our return flight to select our seats because only the gate agent could do it. It sounded ridiculous.  I asked for a supervisor, but she was even less helpful than the first agent.

My daughter is 10.  While she is quite independent and doesn't need mom and dad holding her hand to fly...I was uncomfortable with not knowing who would be sitting next to her.  Due to her looks (I get stopped by strangers telling me how beautiful her hair is) she draws lots of unwanted attention.  She's still learning how to cope with this unwanted attention.  On a recent trip a strange man cornered her after she left the ladies room and started petting her head and telling her how beautiful she is.  My husband had to physically remove the guy and save my daughter.  So, with that fresh on our minds I was facing the fear of DD being stuck next to some perv and not knowing what to do.

Luckily, it all worked out for us.  The gate agent was very apologetic (for the way phone support had treated us) and upgraded us to business class so the three of us could be together.  I'm not sure what I would have done if he hadn't been able (and willing) to help us.
Is she a redhead? I got that kind of attention growing up too. Good for you for protecting her from it!

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
Is she a redhead? I got that kind of attention growing up too. Good for you for protecting her from it!

She has waist length strawberry blonde hair that we take very good care of.  It shines red gold in sunlight.  :)
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
Just to add a bit more, while speaking to the CS person on the phone I was told, "the FAs would NEVER place a child alone on the plane....unless the child is over 9, because at 9 a child is fine flying by themselves."

Isn't it interesting how the airlines decide when a child is old enough/mature enough to be alone?  I get that kids fly as unaccompanied minors all the time (and the airlines set those age guidelines), but to basically imply that I was being unreasonable by wanting my child next to me (it was in the tone, impossible to convey in text).

I offered to pay for upgraded seats and was bluntly told no.  They basically told me that there was nothing I could do and I would have to take my chances at the airport.

It was super stressful for me.  I will say that I plan to do EVERYTHING in my power to avoid flying with this airline ever again.  I can see why they are in bankruptcy and hope the courts make it very painful for them to ever recover.

All airlines work this way. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »

yes you can..
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »
Not online and not by phone.   You have to take your chances at the airport.  I learned this the hard way.  The boarding pass has been issued once you check in.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
Not online and not by phone.   You have to take your chances at the airport.  I learned this the hard way.  The boarding pass has been issued once you check in.

Right, but your post made it sound like you can never ever change your seat after check in.  It is possible and often doable.  I fly a lot and have only had a few instances where I haven't been able to change my seat at all
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

JacklynHyde

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
The last time I asked if someone on a flight would change seats with me, it was offering up my solo chair closer to the door for her window seat in the last row next to a big guy with a ponytail.  I was extremely polite and even apologized for approaching her.  She was all too happy to fly with nobody bothering her.  I got to sit with an old friend who happened to be booked on my flight.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »
Yes.  I also fly a lot.  I meant after checking in online. You can't change your seats ONLINE after you have checked in.  You have to do it at the airport. This is why it is important to choose yoir seats as far in advance as possible. I was responding to the person who complained te airline wouldn't change her seats until the airport.

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
Yes.  I also fly a lot.  I meant after checking in online. You can't change your seats ONLINE after you have checked in.  You have to do it at the airport. This is why it is important to choose yoir seats as far in advance as possible. I was responding to the person who complained te airline wouldn't change her seats until the airport.

I had never checked in, so that wouldn't apply.  I couldn't select seats when I booked, I couldn't select seats during the 7 weeks prior to our flight, I couldn't select seats two days before my flight.  We checked in AT the airport because I didn't want to check in without guaranteed seats.  I promise I'm not ignorant of how airlines work.  This was NOT normal.  I've never had this much trouble getting assigned seats before a flight.  I feel like they just do not care about decent customer service and will be voting with my feet and my $$$$ by never flying with them again.  I can see why they are failing.

Library Dragon

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
The last time I asked if someone on a flight would change seats with me, it was offering up my solo chair closer to the door for her window seat in the last row next to a big guy with a ponytail.  I was extremely polite and even apologized for approaching her.  She was all too happy to fly with nobody bothering her.  I got to sit with an old friend who happened to be booked on my flight.

You're so nice! 

On our last trip to visit DH's family in NYC our plane had been changed due to weather.  DH's aisle was now the middle next to me (I always book two aisles due to DH's big shoulders and my claustrophobia).  There were two seat left empty, the window seat in our row and the single seat by the door. 

A dad and his teenage daughter came on. She looked at her seat (the single) and her dad's seat.  Being the nice person I am ::)  ;) I spoke up. 'Would the two of you like to sit together? My husband will be glad to move over there.'

They were so thankful.  So was DH.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
I was forced to change seats only once that I remember.  I had the window seat in the last row, and when I arrived, all three seats in that row were filled.  In my seat was a felon, manacled, apparently being transported by two federal agents.  Cue great confusion and cries of "She can't sit here!"  (Like I really wanted to.)

The FA put me in the seat right in front of the felon.  I spent the rest of the trip hearing his horrible jokes and imagining him reaching over and wrapping his manacles around my neck.  Next time I'll insist on a move to first class.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »

I had never checked in, so that wouldn't apply.  I couldn't select seats when I booked, I couldn't select seats during the 7 weeks prior to our flight, I couldn't select seats two days before my flight.  We checked in AT the airport because I didn't want to check in without guaranteed seats.  I promise I'm not ignorant of how airlines work.  This was NOT normal.  I've never had this much trouble getting assigned seats before a flight.  I feel like they just do not care about decent customer service and will be voting with my feet and my $$$$ by never flying with them again.  I can see why they are failing.

Was it an international flight? 

If you couldn't checkin online or preselect seats, then maybe no one could.   if no one could, I could understand why they wouldn't let you choose seats.  That would be giving you a benefit that no one else received. 

Sometimes they flight is fullish and they leave blocks of seats for their loyalty programme customers and other passengers cannot preselect.  I just booked several flights with them and was able to choose my seats no problem. 

I fly that airline a lot and never have problems.