Author Topic: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!  (Read 38945 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Move to the worst seat on the plane so we can sit together!
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »
Like a prior poster, I always paid for the extra seat when I flew with a baby, and I always brought a carseat (I am very safety minded), and I always got hassled as it was presumed I had no right to that "extra" seat and was a special snowflake for having brought on a carseat.

We've been hassled about this issue almost every time we fly.  We always bought a seat for DS, even when he was a small baby, and we brought in a car seat. We've been questioned about it by gate agents, flight attendants, and other passengers. It got to the point where we always brought the receipt in addition to the boarding pass, just to provide all the proofs that we did pay for the seat.   My favorite is one passenger who insisted that we should give up the window seat* anyway, because "the baby doesn't need it."   Um, no. 

*We were told by the flight attendants to put the car seat in the window seat because it is out of the way for emergency evacuation purposes.

I don't understand why you'd need any more proof than 3 boarding passes, each designating the assigned seat.

Because some people cannot understand buying a seat for a musical instrument, a child, or anything other than "I want that seat so you should let ME have it" - granted, many people grow out of this stage some time before turning five...but SS don't seem to mature at the same speed as other children.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
and some airlines wont 'give' you the ticket for that third seat

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
My point was the OP of that post shouldn't have to prove she bought the seat as long as she has the boarding pass. Sure, passengers can be jerks and decide who/what is proper for a seat, but flight attendants and gate agents should know if that a ticket has been purchased if there's a boarding pass, no questions asked. That's what I don't understand.

And Dragons 8, I don't understand what you mean. If you buy a seat, you get it. Unless you're bumped but that's a whole different story.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »
Sorry.

If the Airline Staff Don't *see* a living breathing person, some dont give you that ticket for that seat

I need more coffee, sorry Im not making sence

CuriousParty

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
My point was the OP of that post shouldn't have to prove she bought the seat as long as she has the boarding pass. Sure, passengers can be jerks and decide who/what is proper for a seat, but flight attendants and gate agents should know if that a ticket has been purchased if there's a boarding pass, no questions asked. That's what I don't understand.

And Dragons 8, I don't understand what you mean. If you buy a seat, you get it. Unless you're bumped but that's a whole different story.

They should, Cass, but they don't always.  It seems it so unusual to buy a seat for under twos that it's usually assumed the parents are trying to use an "extra" seat. We also buy seats for our kids and travel with car seats, and like the PP, we've been hassled and have begun to bring receipts just to cover us.

Because flying with kids was already so much fun.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
I'm assuming these are USA airlines. Boarding passes designate seats, say 13A, 13b, and 13C. I don't understand the confusion when it's obvious right there on the boarding pass which means the seat has been bought. Maybe I'm missing something, especially when most airlines allow early boarding for people with small kids.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

CuriousParty

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »
I'm assuming these are USA airlines. Boarding passes designate seats, say 13A, 13b, and 13C. I don't understand the confusion when it's obvious right there on the boarding pass which means the seat has been bought. Maybe I'm missing something, especially when most airlines allow early boarding for people with small kids.

Yep,, US airlines, but mostly ones that don't assign seats (but we do have a boarding pass per seat). Also the early boarding with kids thing has been phased out by a lot of airlines, again adding to the joy of child travel.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »
I don't know of major US airlines other than Southwest that don't assign seats, but maybe the smaller airlines that I can't use (due to where I generally fly) don't.

As for children and people with disabilities boarding first, the last time I flew, in July on Alaska Airlines, they did this.

Perhaps it depends on the airport policy.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2013, 11:49:36 PM »
I don't know of major US airlines other than Southwest that don't assign seats, but maybe the smaller airlines that I can't use (due to where I generally fly) don't.

As for children and people with disabilities boarding first, the last time I flew, in July on Alaska Airlines, they did this.

Perhaps it depends on the airport policy.

Depending on the class of ticket and when the ticket was purchased, many people are not able to select seats when they book.  They are required to either wait until check-in 24 hours ahead of time OR wait until they actually get to the airport in order to get assigned to seats.  Airlines often overbook, and unfortunately most parents do not purchase an extra seat for their lap children.  Many parents deliberately do not purchase a seat for an infant and then put them in a seat once they are on the plane. 

So if the agent/FA sees that there is a parent with an infant, they will assume that the child does NOT have a purchased seat. If a flight is oversold, it's much easier for the agent to take that seat away from an infant, than it is to tell an adult passenger that they were booked on an oversold flight and they will have to be bumped.  They don't think about the parent who purchased that seat or that the infant has the right to be in that seat if purchased.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2013, 12:04:58 AM »
Okay, I think I see the problem. Most agents assume the parents didn't purchase the seat for their infant. However, I don't see how an agent has any more right to bump a paying passenger even if it's a baby for an adult, and I suspect any parent who purchased a seat would object.

My point is, if one has purchased a seat, the airline cannot arbitrarily tell you no, you have to give the seat to an adult. Same for a cello. Same if you weigh 400# and need both seats. Maybe I'm wrong, I know passengers are bumped, etc, but if you buy a seat you get a seat, perhaps not on the flight you requested.

Flying is such a hassle and I absolutely hate it.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
Yes, many airlines will not give you a boarding pass without a person there, regardless of who it was purchased for. 
With babies, it is quite possible that they should print one for the baby, but they know life might be easier on the airline staff if they don't. 

To put a different spin on it, I have a friend who is large.  She buys two seats to fly.  The second seat is purchased for "Right Cheek".  She has never been able to get a boarding pass for Right Cheek.  Therefore, it seems that the seat next to her is vacant because the "person" that reserved that seat hasn't checked in.  She says it seems like they are always giving out a boarding pass for the middle seat next to her.  She said she prefers Southwest because then at least someone doesn't have a boarding pass for the seat next to her.  But she does keep her receipt for two seats in her hand until they close the plane door. 

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
Sophia has a very good example of what I was attempting to say.

kckgirl

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »
Flying is such a hassle and I absolutely hate it.

Where is that "Like" button when we need it? ;)
Maryland

Paper Roses

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »
I have also had reserved, confirmed seats changed on me.  In one case, I had called to reconfirm the day before the flight, and was told we had 4 seats together on the plane - at the time, this was for myself and my husband and our 2 young children, plus one lap child (under 2).  When we got to the airport and checked in, our seats had been changed - they were 4 single seats, scattered throughout the plane. 

We haven't flown that particular airline since, and barring some unforeseen circumstance, never will again.  But, my point is, sometimes the airlines do things with no rhyme or reason, and messing with seat assignments is one of them.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Jones

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »
One of the best parts of changing from my Old Company (7 years) to New Company (2 years come December) is that I have not had to fly one single time since. Before, I was going on trips 2+ times a year, after I'd gained experience and proved my worth I was flying a whole lot more. The worst was when I flew somewhere every week 8 weeks in a row.

One (tiny) airline I flew with often, as it provides flights from small-town airports to Denver, was entirely 19 passenger planes (2 seats to a "row" and 3 seats in back). They would hand out boarding passes with random seats written on them, often 3 or 4 people with the same seat and nobody had the rest assigned. We'd be told to "just pick a seat, they aren't real assignments" but every so often there'd be a stickler who insisted on getting the ASSIGNED seat.