Author Topic: The joys of being retired . . .  (Read 2938 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
The joys of being retired . . .
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
I really had to laugh at Thipu1's latest comment in the thread "finding odd things that make you go hmmmm"

Thipu's comment was "Now, it's time to go and make dinner for 17 people."

I had to check the calendar. Yup. It's Monday night. Who on earth has time to cook dinner for 17 people on a Monday night?

I'm laughing because I talk to my parents and my MIL, who are retired, and I secretly whine "I wanna be retired!"

Both my parents and my MIL travel extensively. They have their clubs, community involvement and get-togethers. Understandably, those that are retired have earned these years of doing what they want to do when they want to do them.

While I'm actively involved in a few things, I'm normally "too tired" to take on the things that I would really enjoy doing if I didn't have any other responsibilities.

I still have 10+ years before I can enjoy my retirement years.

To those that are retired: What is the best/worst thing about being retired?

To those that dream of retirement: What would you like to do after you retire? How would your life be different?

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: The joys of being retired . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »
We have more time to do things, like travel, host family, and be on our Early Responders Team, but then we don't have the energy, stamina and strength to do our bast at all of those things - easier hikes, getting exhausted in the middle of the day when family is here, not being able to work at full capacity at disasters. We also get to spend more quality time with our physicians and lab techs.

Lucas is 69, I am 68. I retired in '96 but subbed, he retired in 2001.

One thing so many people complain about is having trouble adjusting to being together so much, and annoyingly  trying to micromanage the way each other does things. Because we were educators, we had summers to work together when Lucas wan't taking courses or doing a summer job, so we were accustomed to being together for long periods of time and have not had that problem.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »
One of the odd things about being retired is that the week has lost its rhythm. You  know, the part where every week day the alarm went of at some horrible hour and you had to get up & be functional. But on weekends,you sleep in. Saturdays are for house cleaning & errand running. Friday& Saturday are the best days for a bit of nightlife. Sunday is for leisure. And then it's Monday again.

We joke that now, it's sometimes hard to remember what day it is, except that on Sundays the newspaper is bigger than usual.

We can go grocery shopping at 1 PM on a Tuesday, when the store is pretty deserted. I don't have to do endless negotiating with my employer and with some repair person as to when I can be at home for the repair.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

SheltieMom

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
I taught middle school for 29 years, and retired 7 years ago. What I love is that there are so many things I have time to do now, like Ladies' Bible Class at church. I'm also doing transition foster care, caring for babies that are waiting for their adoption to go through. I love this so much.
The best part? I have a brand new grandson, just 3 days old. When his mom goes back to work, he will be staying with me. They live close by, and I've told her and my son that my job for the next few months is to make things as easy as possible for them, in any way they need.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
SIL' DH calls retirement 'the Saturday life'.  That about sums it up.

We can shop when the stores aren't crowded. 

We can take advantage of weekday lunch specials in restaurants and have left-overs for another night's dinner. 

Travel is much easier because we don't have to coordinate vacation times.  We can also take advantage of short notice discounts.  When ships don't sell out they offer deep savings on cruises a week or two before sailing. 

We save money because we don't have to spend for commutation and business clothes.  Also, our
pensions are exempt from state and local taxes.  Our combined monthly income is actually higher
now than it was when we were working. 

The only down side of retirement is that it can make you very lazy if you're not careful.  You tend to
put things off because you can always do it tomorrow. 

There's also the saying about travel to be considered. 

When you're young, you have the energy and the time but not the money.
When you're Middle-Aged, you have the money and the energy but not the time.
When you're retired, you have the money and the time but not the energy.

We've found that, even though we're in good health,  we have to slow down our schedule when we travel.  The days of running from one point of interest to another are over. Now, we plan on one major thing in the morning and, if we feel like it after a nice lunch, do something less strenuous in the afternoon.  If we see it, all well and good.  If we don't, we can arrange to be back in a year or two and the Pantheon will still be there.   
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:52:42 AM by Thipu1 »

learningtofly

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:48:09 AM »
My parents are retired and the traveling they have done, I am so jealous!  But it's motivated me to plan better for my retirement.  I have seen some of those places, but now I need to save enough to live and travel as well.  My parents volunteer and take classes.  I'm enrolled in a Masters and working full time while parenting, so I don't think I'll ever want to take classes when I retire but who knows.

I just love seeing them happy and together.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »
DP has been retired since the cancer diagnosis (she wasn't quite ready, but didn't really have a choice). She's also nocturnal, become very retreating and introverted since the cancer, and loves to watch old movies and play on her computer.

Retirement for her is basically heaven.

She gets up in the afternoon, before I get home, and has her coffee and watches the birds in the back yard. I get home, make dinner, we watch TV/run errands/play Wii until it's time for me to go to bed. She plays all night on her computer, watches TV uninterrupted, and then when I get up in the morning, I make her breakfast before I leave for work. She goes to bed after breakfast.

workerbee

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
I'm a LOT of years out from retirement, but I do dream about it!  :)  We recently visited my aunt and uncle, who are retired, and my uncle is militant about his naps! After so many years of hard work, he feels entitled to his daily afternoon rest hour, which I completely respect.

I am happiest when I can control my own schedule, and I'm very much an introvert. While I enjoy being around others, I need time alone to recharge. My perfect retirement will involve quiet mornings over a cup of coffee and the newspaper, volunteering for all the causes that I wish I had time to devote to now, exercise, cooking, travel, visiting family, and reading (and hopefully doing all this with my dear husband).

exitzero

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
It seems like many of my friends are older than me and are retiring in DROVES and I'm so jealous, I could spit!

They go to lunch, take classes, don't care how late they will be out, volunteer, travel at a moment's notice. Grrrrrr1

Not that I'm counting or anything, but I have 7 years, 4 months and 25 days left until I can retire.  :)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
My DH has been retired for about 2 years. He says that every day feels like a Saturday.

He had been a long-distance truck driver for 30+ years, starting his day at 3am just about everyday during that time.

He still wakes up at about that time. He starts the coffee maker, lets our cats outside, goes back to bed, plays on his Android device, listens to The Weather Channel, and leisurely enjoys his coffee. I get up about 5:30am, get dressed, and leave for work around 6am. DH stays in bed until 9, gets up and dressed, and eats his Cheerios in the living room. He takes a morning nap, watches TV, takes an afternoon nap, and when I get home from work about 1am, he goes outside to work in the barn or on the landscaping.

On Wednesdays and/or Thursdays, he goes to his parents' house and plays cribbage with his Dad and visits with his Mom. Sometimes other mornings, he goes to Wal-Mart, sometimes he goes fishing.

Shalamar

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
The earliest I can retire is 2019 (I'll be 55) with a reduced pension.  My husband and I are still debating - our younger daughter will be only 22 at that point, and she might still need some financial help.   

I love my job, but some days (especially when the weather is horrible and the morning commute takes forever) retirement sounds awfully good ...

juliasqueezer

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
My retirement is full of taking care of my frail, elderly, but fiercely independent mother.
I have no siblings, husband or children to share this with; no help from anyone, really.
She fears letting "strangers" into her house, so hiring help is out of the question. I feel fortunate that she can live in her own home but she can't drive and there is no public transportation in her tiny town. She refuses to move. I like having my own place, too, even if it's only a place where I sleep.
My last vacation was in 2002.
My schedule is hardly my own. My life seems to consist of shuttling her to multitudes of doctors' appointments. keeping her house clean, shopping and seeing to her needs.
At times, it seems the only mystery left is whether she will outlive me!
Yes.... the joys of being retired.

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
I could retire in September, but I would have to sell my house and live off of generic macaroni and cheese.  If I wait 10 years, I'll still probably have to sell the house, but at least I can buy Kraft macaroni and cheese.   ;)

Seriously, though, I plan on selling my house and moving to a condo.  It will be hard, as I grew up in this house.  However, the house is pretty high maintainance, requiring a lot of either energy or money, often both.  I don't want it to turn into a dump because I can't keep it up properly.  A couple of my friends have parents who retired to the country, and now their children have drive hundreds of miles to keep up their property and drive them to doctor appointments.   I don't have children to do that.  I only hope I'll have the courage to do sell my house when the time comes.

The condo has to be in a building with elevators, close to public transportation for when driving becomes a problem, and close to shopping and interesting things.  So, instead of moving to the country, I may be moving to the city.  Hopefully, I'll save enough money to do some travelling as well.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »
A good friend retired recently and she threw every clock and calendar out of the house.  For various reasons (school, job, kids' activities) she had to live for decades on a very complicated schedule. 

Now she doesn't care what day or time it is, and only knows it's Sunday because a big paper is delivered.   :D

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »
Some of these stories make me sad. It seems like just an existence, no growing or fun.