Author Topic: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?  (Read 5619 times)

Nemesis

S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?
« on: April 30, 2013, 04:02:31 AM »
I had read somewhere that is customary to also tip cleaners at the hotel using envelopes in America (maybe in this forum!). So when my spouse was in Austin, Texas for a conference, I gave him a bunch of envelopes with tips inside for everyday of his stay there.

The cleaners never took those envelopes despite them being placed on the bed, with the title "TIPS" on the envelopes.

Was I wrong?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:08:46 AM »
You weren't wrong and frankly it's odd that they didn't take the tips in my view. Housekeeping staff is used to tips.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:24:47 AM »
Could it be that they don't speak or read English?

Octavia

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:10 AM »
That is odd. It is customary to leave tips for housekeeping in US hotels, and I've never had tips refused. If it was me I would have checked with the hotel's front desk to see if that hotel has a different tipping policy.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Nemesis

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 05:40:51 AM »
Well, we have never heard of tipping housekeeping staff until I happened to come across this (I still cannot remember where I read it). My spouse, being the stereotypical absent-minded professor was not going to remember these things, so I packed it all for him. I don't think he ever ran into any of the housekeeping staff - he left early every morning and returned late for the conference. So we have no idea if the staff can speak English or otherwise.

I remember telling him to put it on the bed after the envelope was left alone when he placed it on the desk. He would never have approached the front desk to ask - he is also the stereotypical introvert who doesn't speak unless it is about his research field.

He said no one was taking the envelopes and he thought that maybe I got it wrong. I thought so too, and forgot all about it until the recent thread about tipping. Now I am just puzzled...

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:01:55 AM »
I've never left a tip in an envelope unless it was one provided by the hotel. I usually just leave a couple of dollars by the nightstand and it is always taken.

Nemesis

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:12:16 AM »
Do you leave one everyday, or one for the entire stay? And how much?

iridaceae

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »
People do it either way- all at once or daily.

I'd say 1 or two dollars a day is usual unless they had to really clean up after you or somehow went above and beyond . For that matter if housekeeping comes down to your room at 3 am to change the sheets (someone got sick in bed/diaper leaked kind of thing) you'd want to tip for that.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 06:55:11 AM »
Back in the day, there used to be envelopes in hotels that had somethng written on the front about being tips for the maids.

(I am 46, but I remember this from my teen days and staying in hotels at the Jersey shore).

I have not seen any envelopes in a long time, probably due to cost of supplying them.

We just leave a few bucks on a dresser or desk of our room.    For me, usually, I leave our tip at the end of our stay because I will usually put a notice out that we do not need maid service.  If I need new towels, I usually see the maids at some point and just ask for them. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »
I leave a couple bucks a day and then about 4 or 5 at the end.  I just put it out with a note that says "housekeeping".

MrTango

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »
I've honestly never heard of leaving a tip for the cleaning staff at hotels until this thread.

Is this something people do at all hotels, or just fancier places?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen envelopes for this. I and most people I know just leave a 5 or so on the nightstand.

iridaceae

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »
I've seen envelopes. Truthfully I usually just leave it on the table or nihtstand.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
I do it at all hotels.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:14 AM »
Some people tip and some don't and you tend to get strong opinions from both groups  :)