Author Topic: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?  (Read 5952 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
I can only remember leaving a tip once.  Our then four year old daughter wet her bed.  I mean REALLY wet her bed.  Soaked it right through the mattress.

We knew that was going to present a real cringe worthy problem for staff, so we tipped very generously, although I don't recall exactly how much it was at the time. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
We're talking 2 to 5% tip so nothing massive. And while a lot of people have "ocky" jobs, a whole lot of those jobs pay better than hotel housekeeping.

Miss March

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
I hate to say it, but in the hotel where I work (and I suspect other hotels as well), there have been issues with maintenance workers, front desk staff, bell-hops, even other maids, etc, poking their heads into checkouts in the mornings and grabbing any tips that have been left for housekeeping.  >:(  Management has even had to do a few 'sting' setups where they deliberately set a marked $5 bill out in plain sight in a checkout room and then sent certain suspected employees in to check something, just to confirm if they do, indeed, take tips meant for the maids. For this reason, I recommend leaving a tip somewhere that a good maid will find it, rather than leaving it in plain sight. I usually leave a tip in the desk drawer where the hotel provides free stationary, because I know the maid will need to check that area when she/he cleans, and it's unlikely that any one else casing the room quickly will find it there.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »
We're talking 2 to 5% tip so nothing massive. And while a lot of people have "ocky" jobs, a whole lot of those jobs pay better than hotel housekeeping.

Like I said, if that's what you're led to do, go for it. :)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
I never tipped at a hotel (or saw my parents or grandparents, who travel a lot, do it) until a few weeks ago when DD and I stayed at a hotel. She was sick in the middle of the night. Luckily I was able to contain most of it, bagged the towels, and stripped the bed. There was a spot on the floor that I pointed out would probably need to be washed. I felt so badly about leaving that kind of mess that I left $10 and a note apologizing for what happened (and in some detail so they'd know what was icky.)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
I usually refuse service until the last day and then leave a tip on the dresser. It's probably more work to clean up after several days of me being there than it would be if they got the chance to tidy up every day.  I wouldn't dream of not leaving any tip.

It probably depends on hotel, but I'm guessing the staff would rather tidy your room every day than once at the end. Lots of hotels pay per room.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »
I always tip around $2 per night. When I travel for work, my company even lets me expense it, so I even get reimbursed when I tip  :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »
I never tipped at a hotel (or saw my parents or grandparents, who travel a lot, do it) until a few weeks ago when DD and I stayed at a hotel. She was sick in the middle of the night. Luckily I was able to contain most of it, bagged the towels, and stripped the bed. There was a spot on the floor that I pointed out would probably need to be washed. I felt so badly about leaving that kind of mess that I left $10 and a note apologizing for what happened (and in some detail so they'd know what was icky.)

That makes sense.  If it's an unusual amount or type of mess, I'd leave something.

reflection5

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »
I tip because it is an unpleasant job that doesn't pay well. If I can tip my cab driver, hair dresser, nail tech, etc. beyond what they already earn I am not going to see their meager salary as a reason not to tip hotel housekeeping.

Which is fine if you want to do that.

However, I can't tip everyone out there.  I just can't.  I don't have that kind of money.  And "icky job" can't be a criteria.  There are a lot of jobs that are done that make my life easier that aren't the most pleasant.  But we don't tip all of them.

If people feel led to tip Housekeeping, I'm all for it.  Go for it.  But that doesn't make those of us who don't lesser people for not doing it.

Right.  And it certainly doesn't make those who do tip anyone and everyone any better.   I also know of people who brag about generous tipping yet they would be better off paying their own bills.

As I said (several times) in the most recent tipping thread I usually tip waiters/servers (based on level of service and my experience) and, although I don't often stay in hotels I tip housekeeping.  I tip if they do a good job, and if they are pleasant - it has nothing to do with an obligation to supplement their salary).  But like you, DottyG, I can't tip everybody who does something for me and I will not make up for low salaries and icky jobs by tossing dollar bills at people.  I don't have that kind of money, and I wouldn't even if I did.

One of my ex SOs has an unpleasant job - he's a plumber.  But he's not hurting financially.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:22:57 PM by reflection5 »

bonyk

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
I tip, but DH does not, and he just can't wrap his head around it.  I leave it on the night table; he takes it off and tells me I forgot some money on the night stand.  Then we start all over again.   ;D

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
I had never heard of tipping in hotels until I was an adult.  Of course we've never been anywhere fancy enough to have bellhop service but for the housekeeping staff?  ??? ??? 

We also don't really leave messes beyond the norm: bed is unmade after we've slept in it, pile of dirty towels in the bathroom floor after we've showered. 

And I've never seen envelopes for housekeeping tips either, including staying at Disney Florida, Europe, the UK, and various places around the States.  Where do you find these items??

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »
My first encounter with envelopes was on a cruise. I have never seen them in a hotel.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
In my experience, everyone staying in the room leaves a dollar a day, except on the last day when everyone leaves 5 dollars. That's just my family, though.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

CL32

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »
I leave $2 per person each day of my stay. I leave something every rather than at the end because if a different person cleans my room each day, I want them to get the money for that day. YMMV.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
I am not sure what having an "icky" job has to do with it. It's just that there are services that it is generally accepted that you tip for.

You don't normally tip your garbage man, or your plumber or the guy that comes to pump out your septic system.

But you do normally tip your hairdresser or manicurist. I don't consider those "icky" jobs. Just jobs it is customary to tip for.