Author Topic: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?  (Read 6977 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
My garbage man, plumber and septic buy all get compendated ay much higher rates than the housekeeping staff at the hotel.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
My tipping policy is, I tip on luxuries and I expect to pay for expertise on necessities.

So I tip waiters, for fancy-schmacy coffee, for manicures, hotel staff, tour guides, cab drivers, spa massages, etc.

I do not tip my doctor, my mechanic, the grocer, for regular brewed coffee, etc.

My thinking is, I don't need any of the first group, they are simply things I choose to pay for in life to make my life nicer. I don't need to eat out, or get a fancy foamy flavored coffee, or go on vacation, or travel in  cab vs a subway, etc. these are the little life perks I treat myself to when I can afford them. And to me part of being able to afford a luxury is tipping for the service. Tips to me are like whipped cream - a special extra something you put on top of an already indulgent thing.

The second group, I do not tip. I expect these people to be trained professionals who do a no nonsense job for an agreed upon professional fee. I'm not mentally in happy-land getting these services, and I certainly aren't thinking of these things as life "extras" so I'm not in the mindset to pay extra in the form of a tip.

Library Dragon

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »
I have taken envelopes with "Tips for Housekeeping" in English and Spanish on the envelope.  I mostly leave a tip at the end unless I've been unusually demanding.  I don't usually tip for a quick over night stay. 

The level of hotel doesn't come into it.  We stayed at mid-level hotel in Gatlinburg where the cleaning staff rearranged the order they cleaned rooms because DS2 took his toddler nap at the same time everyday.  They not only waited on our room, but didn't clean the rooms on either side so the vacuum wouldn't wake him up.  We tipped the ladies very well that week.  They went above and beyond to make our stay special.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

gollymolly2

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 11:26:43 PM »
I am not sure what having an "icky" job has to do with it. It's just that there are services that it is generally accepted that you tip for.

You don't normally tip your garbage man, or your plumber or the guy that comes to pump out your septic system.

But you do normally tip your hairdresser or manicurist. I don't consider those "icky" jobs. Just jobs it is customary to tip for.

Agree. I tip when it's customary. Not based on the difficulty of the job or the wages or whatever. In my experience, hotel tipping (a couple bucks a day) is customary so I do that.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2013, 11:44:46 PM »
It's just never been "customary" with anyone I know. So, while some may have had that experience, I haven't. And, to be honest, the "icky job" factor of it kind of bufuddled me anyway. I don't make that much of a mess. So it's basically replacing towels*, making the bed and cleaning the bathroom - which I don't make a mess in. Yeah, it's cleaning a toilet, but it's not an "icky" one. It's pretty quick and easy to do.

* And, these days, even that's not done every day. Most places now only totally replace the towels and sheets if you ask. Because of conservation, they allow the guest to tell them if they want fresh stuff. Since I don't change my sheets every night at home, I don't need them done at a hotel.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 01:23:24 AM »
I'm in Canada, and I never tipped hotel-cleaners until my mom told me that I ought to, in the US.  She said the same assertion as for many restaurant employees - that they do not make minimum wage and are expected to make up the balance in tips.

So, we left cash on the last day.  Now, I understand that this might not have been great, since the cleaner that had been taking care of our room could easily have the day off on our last day.  However - OTOH - I've heard that the housecleaning staff can't assume that loose change left anywhere is for them.  I understand this too - Hotel Guest might have been emptying his pockets and forgotten about the money he left lying about.

So, is there a way (in the absence of cards) to indicate that the tip is for "all" the maids during the last several days?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2013, 04:51:17 AM »
It's just never been "customary" with anyone I know. So, while some may have had that experience, I haven't. And, to be honest, the "icky job" factor of it kind of bufuddled me anyway. I don't make that much of a mess. So it's basically replacing towels*, making the bed and cleaning the bathroom - which I don't make a mess in. Yeah, it's cleaning a toilet, but it's not an "icky" one. It's pretty quick and easy to do.

You might want to ask a hotel maid about things they clean up. Maids work hard for usually not the best pay. They clean up biological stuff all the time,  from babyspit up to vomit to whited out: menstrual blood to semen and used condoms.. And they might get ten rooms in a row like this,  especially after a wedding.

menley

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2013, 05:18:33 AM »

You might want to ask a hotel maid about things they clean up. Maids work hard for usually not the best pay. They clean up biological stuff all the time,  from babyspit up to vomit to whited out: menstrual blood to semen and used condoms.. And they might get ten rooms in a row like this,  especially after a wedding.

Yes, but DottyG has pointed out that she does not do these things. Why should she pay more to housekeeping because that maid might have encountered a disgusting room somewhere in her schedule?

I agree with DottyG. I make a minimal mess in the room (I make a point to put all trash in trash cans; towels aren't replaced unless I stay longer than a week; anything else is returned to the place where it was when I entered the room). If housekeeping does something above and beyond their job for me, I will tip them. If they are doing the basics, I will not.

And, iridaceae, you may want to watch some of those news reports about what hotel maids are actually doing to clean the room. If it's anything like the several reports I've seen, they're spraying down the drinking cups with toilet cleaner or bleach and skipping the tub altogether.

iridaceae

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2013, 05:26:31 AM »

And, iridaceae, you may want to watch some of those news reports about what hotel maids are actually doing to clean the room. If it's anything like the several reports I've seen, they're spraying down the drinking cups with toilet cleaner or bleach and skipping the tub altogether.
::) ::) ::)   I work in a hotel. I have for years. I think I have a pretty good idea what maids do and I'm really pretty appalled that you see one ABC or whoever special on "what maids do" and think that that applies across the board. Do you assume all doctors are killers after watching a special on Michael Swango?

I consider tipping maids to be a social contract. If you choose not to participate that's up to you but I do.

Margo

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »
I suspect that the issue was that the envelope said 'tips' not 'housekeeping'

The times I've stayed in a hotel in the US I've left a couple of dollars every day - I left it out on the desk with a note saying 'housekeeping - thanks'. One day I just left the money but no note, and it was not moved, so I guess that (at least at that hotel) there were strict rules that the housekeepers would not take any money unless it was 100% clear that it was intended as a tip.  (I took it down to reception and explained the situation, and asked that it be passed on to whoever had cleaned my room that day - I thought that she deserved to get the tip I'd intend her to have, and for her boss to know that she was honest and sticking to the house rules!)

I've seen envelopes once of twice - mostly in with the note paper and the laundry list.

I've also learned that it;s best to tip daily, both as it is not always the same person cleaning the room every day, so it is fairer to the staff (also, unless you are a regular, they won't know, otherwise, whether you'll tip - if you tip as you go along, they know that, and if you do happen to ask for anything you've already established yourself as a thoughtful guest who rewards good service, which can't hurt if you need to ask for anything extra)

iridaceae

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2013, 06:21:09 AM »
I just asked the night housekeeper and she said the best place to leave tips is on the pillow or on something like the nightstand with an ashtray or something like that on top. Or an envelope. Either tips or housekeeping will work as to what yo write on it.

lurkerwisp

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
I usually refuse service until the last day and then leave a tip on the dresser. It's probably more work to clean up after several days of me being there than it would be if they got the chance to tidy up every day.  I wouldn't dream of not leaving any tip.

It probably depends on hotel, but I'm guessing the staff would rather tidy your room every day than once at the end. Lots of hotels pay per room.

I'm weird and picky about other people touching my things.  I don't like the idea of someone cleaning and moving things around.  It squicks me out for no good reason at all, and that's my problem, I know. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2013, 09:59:23 AM »
I usually refuse service until the last day and then leave a tip on the dresser. It's probably more work to clean up after several days of me being there than it would be if they got the chance to tidy up every day.  I wouldn't dream of not leaving any tip.

It probably depends on hotel, but I'm guessing the staff would rather tidy your room every day than once at the end. Lots of hotels pay per room.

I'm weird and picky about other people touching my things.  I don't like the idea of someone cleaning and moving things around.  It squicks me out for no good reason at all, and that's my problem, I know.

Same here. I neither need nor want someone to come make my bed, refresh my towels and straighten up my stuff every day. I clean up after myself, leave as little mess as possible at check-out, and tip on the last day IF I've stayed more than one night. I completely understand why a lot of people enjoy the extra pampering, it's just not for me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:15:48 PM by JenJay »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
Me too.  The "Do Not Disturb" sign remains on our door for the entire stay, whether it's one night or seven.  I do NOT want people moving my stuff around or touching it in any way. 

I don't need clean sheets or clean towels or anything else every day.

The only time any housekeeper should be inside my room doing anything is after I've checked out.

But I've heard that housekeepers are assigned to clean certain specific rooms each day and that if they don't "get" to clean room 102 that particular day they don't get paid for that room.  At all.  Does anyone know if that's true?   ???

Miss March

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »

Yes, but DottyG has pointed out that she does not do these things. Why should she pay more to housekeeping because that maid might have encountered a disgusting room somewhere in her schedule?

I agree with DottyG. I make a minimal mess in the room (I make a point to put all trash in trash cans; towels aren't replaced unless I stay longer than a week; anything else is returned to the place where it was when I entered the room). If housekeeping does something above and beyond their job for me, I will tip them. If they are doing the basics, I will not.

Menley, my parents run a hotel and I work in the hotel industry. I'd thank you not to make such broad and untrue statements about how hotel maids clean rooms. Any reputable hotel is going to be sure that bathtubs are cleaned daily and that drinking cups are thoroughly cleansed with safe products.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo