Author Topic: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?  (Read 6242 times)

turnip

Re: S/O tipping waiters - what about cleaners in the hotel?
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
I hate to say it, but in the hotel where I work (and I suspect other hotels as well), there have been issues with maintenance workers, front desk staff, bell-hops, even other maids, etc, poking their heads into checkouts in the mornings and grabbing any tips that have been left for housekeeping.  >:(  Management has even had to do a few 'sting' setups where they deliberately set a marked $5 bill out in plain sight in a checkout room and then sent certain suspected employees in to check something, just to confirm if they do, indeed, take tips meant for the maids. For this reason, I recommend leaving a tip somewhere that a good maid will find it, rather than leaving it in plain sight. I usually leave a tip in the desk drawer where the hotel provides free stationary, because I know the maid will need to check that area when she/he cleans, and it's unlikely that any one else casing the room quickly will find it there.

If I put cash in the desk drawer in a hotel, it's probably because I was emptying my pockets and needed a place to stash things.  I'd be rather surprised if the housekeeper took it as a 'tip'.

It's an odd thing to say, but one of the reasons I think I don't tend to tip housekeeping much is because there is no across-the-board accepted way to do it.   We all know how to tip waiters and hairdressers, but housekeeping - on the nightstand? In the desk? in an envelope?  What do you write, and in what language?   By the time I've spend 5 minutes thinking about it, I decide to go the easiest route and just not tip at all.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »

I always tip the hotel cleaning staff daily. While I wouldn’t consider someone a “lesser person” if they don’t I would also not consider them to be an ideal traveling companion. Tipping housekeeping at a hotel is "the way it is done" as a previous poster pointed out, and part of the social contract. While it is completely someone's business whether or not they tip, I would not want to room with a non-tipper any more than I would want to dine with one. As much as I like camping I also enjoy hotels, and there are a few that are my personal favorites. I just wouldn't feel right not tipping. The "extra" goes both ways, as well. I may not make a lot of mess, but I love coming back to a tidied up room, and maybe an extra mint on my pillow. It makes me happy.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

reflection5

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Miss March, I think you should ease up on Menley.  There have been reports - I've seen the ones referred to.  Just because your parents' hotel is 'reputable' or even stellar does ot mean all hotels are, so you shouldn't take it so personally.  You can't possibly know what every housekeeper in every hotel is/is not doing.

I stayed at a hotel a few yrs ago where the housekeeping ranged from pathetic to nonexistent.  I complained to the manager, gave a terrible review online, and certainly did NOT leave any tips.

(btw, everyone:  always use the glasses wrapped in plastic )

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:53:57 PM by reflection5 »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »
Tipping housekeeping at a hotel is "the way it is done"

The "way it's done" in your circles or your area or whatever.  However, that's simply not true everywhere.  It just isn't, despite what you want to think.  It's never been my experience in all my years of travel - alone or with other people.

I do tip in many places.  I tip at restaurants and pretty much all of the other places mentioned.  However, this is not one of them.  I give my money away to many people in tips, but I kinda resent the fact that people are pretty much making those of us who are not accustomed to tipping hotel staff feel like we're subhuman or violating some kind of "social contract" that really isn't there across the board.

If you want to tip someone, it's great.  And, seriously, more power to ya.  I'd love to be able to tip every person I come across "just because" they did something.  However, at some point, there is tipping bleed that starts to be called a "social contract" that's not really true.  Waiters in restaurants are not the same as hotel staff.  They're not paid the same way (possibly with exceptions, however, I'm speaking in a general sense).  So the tipping is not a required part of their pay.

Like I said earlier, if there is a significant or unusual type of mess, of course I'd do something extra.  That would be instinctive.  However, the basic hotel visit does not require the same kind of clean up as others have mentioned with vomiting or other things of that nature.

I think that there is, to some degree, a "holier than thou" attitude here (even if it's trying to be subtle) of those who are tipping in this situation.  I would bet, though, that there are places that I tip that you don't see a need.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
Slart's post in #14 is true.  You're going to find strong opinions on both sides of this.  And neither one is "better" or "worse" than the other.  They're just different.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
Tipping housekeeping at a hotel is "the way it is done"

The "way it's done" in your circles or your area or whatever.  However, that's simply not true everywhere.  It just isn't, despite what you want to think.  It's never been my experience in all my years of travel - alone or with other people.

I do tip in many places.  I tip at restaurants and pretty much all of the other places mentioned.  However, this is not one of them.  I give my money away to many people in tips, but I kinda resent the fact that people are pretty much making those of us who are not accustomed to tipping hotel staff feel like we're subhuman or violating some kind of "social contract" that really isn't there across the board.

If you want to tip someone, it's great.  And, seriously, more power to ya.  I'd love to be able to tip every person I come across "just because" they did something.  However, at some point, there is tipping bleed that starts to be called a "social contract" that's not really true.  Waiters in restaurants are not the same as hotel staff.  They're not paid the same way (possibly with exceptions, however, I'm speaking in a general sense).  So the tipping is not a required part of their pay.

Like I said earlier, if there is a significant or unusual type of mess, of course I'd do something extra.  That would be instinctive.  However, the basic hotel visit does not require the same kind of clean up as others have mentioned with vomiting or other things of that nature.

I think that there is, to some degree, a "holier than thou" attitude here (even if it's trying to be subtle) of those who are tipping in this situation.  I would bet, though, that there are places that I tip that you don't see a need.

I think you are reading into that more than there is. It is you who suggested that non-housekeeping-tippers are not "lesser people" when no one had made anything close to that assertion.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Miss March

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
Miss March, I think you should ease up on Menley.  There have been reports - I've seen the ones referred to.  Just because your parents' hotel is 'reputable' or even stellar does ot mean all hotels are, so you shouldn't take it so personally.  You can't possibly know what every housekeeper in every hotel is/is not doing.

I stayed at a hotel a few yrs ago where the housekeeping ranged from pathetic to nonexistent.  I complained to the manager, gave a terrible review online, and certainly did NOT leave any tips.

(btw, everyone:  always use the glasses wrapped in plastic )

Here's something I have learned about Etiquette Hell- people of every profession read this site. So if you make a post about "waitresses do this bad thing," or "nurses cut corners when they can get away with it," or "housekeepers don't bother to clean the tub," chances are that you are insulting the profession of someone who is an active member of this site. So tread carefully when you make a blanket statement about a profession.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
I think this is a perfect YMMV situation. I tip housekeeping staff and that does not make me any better or worse than someone who doesn't.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
I think you are reading into that more than there is. It is you who suggested that non-housekeeping-tippers are not "lesser people" when no one had made anything close to that assertion.

I disagree.  While I made the "lesser person" designation, I do feel that there is an undercurrent of that feeling present in the thread.  That's why I said "even if it's trying to be subtle."  Because that's the vibe that I feel coming from some of the comments made.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2013, 06:15:54 PM »
I think this is a perfect YMMV situation. I tip housekeeping staff and that does not make me any better or worse than someone who doesn't.

And I think this is a good statement here.  It is a YMMV situation.  And those of you who tip hotel staff are no "better" than someone who doesn't (who probably tips elsewhere that you don't).  This goes back to how you spend your money and that no one has a say in that.  Everyone's free to give money to whomever they want to - be that a store, another person or whatever.

reflection5

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:33 PM »
While I made the "lesser person" designation, I do feel that there is an undercurrent of that feeling present in the thread.  That's why I said "even if it's trying to be subtle."  Because that's the vibe that I feel coming from some of the comments made.

Whether it's this thread or one of the other threads (about tipping or anything else), I take many comments made by strangers on the internet with a big grain of salt.  Some of those who go on about how they always tip may, in fact, have never left a tip in their lives.  Or, they make high-handed, pretentious comments to try to make themselves look and feel superior.  Whatever.  ::)

Furthermore, generally speaking, I would never allow message board comments from people I don't even know (and will never know) to influence how I feel about myself.  I don't give strangers that type of power.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:41:25 PM by reflection5 »

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
Yes, but DottyG has pointed out that she does not do these things. Why should she pay more to housekeeping because that maid might have encountered a disgusting room somewhere in her schedule?

I agree with DottyG. I make a minimal mess in the room (I make a point to put all trash in trash cans; towels aren't replaced unless I stay longer than a week; anything else is returned to the place where it was when I entered the room). If housekeeping does something above and beyond their job for me, I will tip them. If they are doing the basics, I will not.

And, iridaceae, you may want to watch some of those news reports about what hotel maids are actually doing to clean the room. If it's anything like the several reports I've seen, they're spraying down the drinking cups with toilet cleaner or bleach and skipping the tub altogether.

Menley, your post was fine until you made a dig, across the board, about hotel maids. It's offensive and a huge generalization.

I disagree.  While I made the "lesser person" designation, I do feel that there is an undercurrent of that feeling present in the thread.  That's why I said "even if it's trying to be subtle."  Because that's the vibe that I feel coming from some of the comments made.

Dotty, I don't see it that way but that's an opinion. It's also my opinion that you're a bit defensive about this. I'm sorry your feelings are hurt but when I read the above post it came across as manipulative.

Reflection5, enough. Your last comment is very telling as it's indicative as to what your motive was here.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2013, 07:27:41 PM »
This is one of those subjects I've always been confused about, so I'm a bit of a haphazard tipper myself.  I mainly stay at hostels or B&Bs, where tipping seems less expected. When I stay at hotels, it's usually for work, where the office is covering my hotel room and meals -- but not my tips for waiters, maids, or taxi drivers, which come out of my pocket. 

If hotel staff have done something extra for me (brought up extra shampoo or towels for my hair) I make a point of tipping, but usually at the end of my stay (1-3 nights), so I'm not even sure if the person who helped me got the tip.  I'm also terrible about remembering to carry small change to tip with, and too cheap to leave a $20 bill for a 1-3 night stay. 

And then when it comes to bed and breakfast places, where the owners are also the "maids", what do you do?  Still tip?  Not tip, and think of it like the owner of a hair salon, where the owner doesn't receive tips? 

I wish there were more clear "rules" about this.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
Dotty, I don't see it that way but that's an opinion.

True.  But one that I do have about some of the comments made here.  It's not that my "feelings are hurt." I simply feel like this is a case where there is another side to this issue that needs to be recognized as well.  There's a reason why the comment made earlier in this thread is true - it is a situation where you're going to find opinions on both sides of this.  And, as I said above, I do not feel that one side is "right" or "wrong" - just different.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »
If hotel staff have done something extra for me (brought up extra shampoo or towels for my hair) I make a point of tipping

As would I.  That falls into the category I mentioned earlier about doing something that's beyond the expected.

A concierge getting me restaurant reservations would be another in that category.