Author Topic: We're getting old. And it's not a bad thing.  (Read 547 times)

Phoebelion

We're getting old. And it's not a bad thing.
« on: June 22, 2013, 06:55:47 AM »
I've been setting up my own cottage business for a couple of years to get ready for retirement.  I figure between that and volunteer work, I won't go stir crazy.

DH has now jumped on the band wagon.  He's eclectic like I am, but has decided to concentrate on wood working - in a BIG way.  So his dream is to have a fully functional wood shop. While he has many large tools, we are off this AM to check out a used sander.  A sander that you would see in a shop. A big sander.  A huge sander.  While I'm in shock just looking at the pic due to the size of this thing, he's drooling.   Best part is I know he'll use it. 

Now DH and DDIL have jumped on the band wagon.  They have put an offer on property with a house and a huge pole barn. 

So now the plan is DH to start a wood working business, DS to get his blacksmithing company in full motion, and DDIL to get her bookkeeping/accounting business going. 

Now they're concerned where to stick my business.  I keep telling them all I need is a 12 ft square corner with great lighting that's clean.  They're worried that I'll feel left out/cramped/put upon/whatever because they're basically taking over.   

My other "demands" that they have agreed to:  I can bring my dog to work, we have "shop" cat/s (we plan on partitioning off the blacksmith shop with sound proofing and a blower system), and a housekeeper once a week.   

So getting old isn't a bad thing in my life. 

What are your plans?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: We're getting old. And it's not a bad thing.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »
Welcome to retirement!

Being able to do what you want when you want is a beautiful thing. 

We don't do all that much compared to you but we love the freedom to do what we enjoy. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
Sounds like a great plan and I hope it goes well for you! :) As Dh and I both turn 35 this year, we're a ways from retirement but I can just see him working in the backyard and me having to keep him from spending our retirement money on pond supplies.  ::) :) 

I think he'd really like to move to a slightly bigger house that has some land so we can have some farm animals like a horse or so, but we'll see how he feels about that once we both get to that age.  I'd love to travel, myself. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

demarco

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
DH is about seven years from retirement but there is going to be a lot of chaos in his field for the forseeable future.  I don't want him to have to put up with it at this stage of his life.  Early retirement is looking better and better. I quit working a few years ago.

We probably will relocate, probably to Texas.  My fantasy is to have a house in Texas and a little cabin in the Maine woods and spend half the year in each place but I don't know if that is feasible. I am already studying up on Texas locations and real estate.  We lived there before.  I did not want to leave  and even imagining that we could go back is making me very happy.

DH has hobby that he's very involved in and I have a lot of interests that keep me busy so I am not worried that we will be at loose ends.  I am used to being alone a lot and having DH home all the time will be an adjustment.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
Phobelion, what your family is setting up sounds wonderful. I'm happy that they want you to be in all the action, and not forgotten.

demarco, i hope you are able to be where you'd like to be at retirement. Having the DH home is a big adjustment. That is still a problem for me. DH was a long-distance truck driver, o-t-r for 3+ weeks at a time. He retired about 2.5 years ago. I'm still getting used to him being home everyday.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »
I'm still a long way from retirement  :( but I think I will probably spend time volunteering at the raptor center/center for birds of prey in my area. If not that, then definitely something with animals. My DH? I haven't a clue what he'll do with himself...probably just drive me crazy!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Phoebelion

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
Well, the sander didn't pan out.  The guy got called into work and had locked up the garage on his wife.  So we couldn't even see it to tell if was in any shape to purchase.  Such is life.

But on the way home we stopped at a couple of garage sales and a flea market.  We got to spend our money there.  Got some bargains that are immediately usable.  DS is gonna be ecstatic.  We got him between 15 and 20 blacksmith tools for a really great price.  I don't know if he needs them all, but he can resell what he doesn't need. 

And a nice morning out with the DH was great as we both work hard both at full time jobs and at home. 

We also love to travel.  So we're already planning on DH traveling with DS to smithing events and DDIL traveling with me to my events.  And knowing that each couple can have get aways while somebody minds the "store".  And the animals. 

Note to sell:  look into one of those fancy toy RV's.