Author Topic: Needing help re. Sydney and/or Olympic Park area (accommodation), please  (Read 1918 times)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
DS (12) and I are hoping to attend the Supanova Convention at the Sydney Showgrounds, Olympic Park in late June. It's been years since I went to Sydney so my knowledge is quite rusty. 

Can any locals please advise whether we'd be better off staying in the Olympic Park area or travelling to and from the CBD each day?  We'll likely be at the con most of Saturday and Sunday, and perhaps late Friday afternoon/early evening.

We'd probably fly into Sydney on Thursday and do some sightseeing. We won't have a car. Would spending Thursday night in the CBD, then travelling to the Olympic Park area on Friday (via train? bus? taxi?) and staying there the weekend be a reasonable plan?

Also suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in the Olympic Park area, and suggestions for travel to/from the airport would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help ehellions can provide!  :)

Awestruck Shmuck

I live right near Olympic Park, and there's a few good hotels there, the Pullman, the Novotel, and another big chain one...the Ibis maybe? Ibis is probably most budget conscious of the three

If you're going to be at the convention most of the weekend, i'd definitely stay in one of the hotels onsite at Olympic Park.

To get to the city is easy via train (go to Strathfield on the train, and change to city/city circle), If you feel like some shopping, Homebush DFO is a short trip from there (get the 525 bus from Olympic Park Station).

Hope that helps - if you have any other questions, please do ask :o)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
That's very helpful, thank you.  :)

By the sounds of it, I think we will stay in the OP area, as it'll probably be more convenient. I've checked out the Ibis/Accor hotels, and will check the Pullman next, so thanks for the suggestion.

Is OP far from the airport and easy to get/to from?  Would it be easier/best to head straight to OP from the airport and then go into the CBD for sightseeing on the first day, or just go straight to the CBD, spend the night there, and then travel to OP on the Friday?  It's DS's first trip there so I want to show him the sights. ;)

Thanks!  :D

Katana_Geldar

I'll be at Supanova! Be ure to drop by the 501st booth and see me and the guys!

Staying on site nt a bad idea but Olympic Park des sort of die after a certin time.

OP isn't that far from the city.

Awestruck Shmuck

No trouble at all :)

To check out public transport options, go to www.131500.info  - but as others say, it's a pretty quick and easy trip to the city.

There's also the wharf, if you wanted to do something a bit different, get a ferry from O/P Wharf, up to Circular Quay

katycoo

To get to the city is easy via train (go to Strathfield on the train, and change to city/city circle), If you feel like some shopping, Homebush DFO is a short trip from there (get the 525 bus from Olympic Park Station).

The Olympic Park train doesn't go to Strathfield.  You can change at Lidcombe although when special events are on they sometimes have trains running directly to the city.  Either way, the train is very easy to use.

You can get a bus, or the ferry into the city too.

Is OP far from the airport and easy to get/to from?  Would it be easier/best to head straight to OP from the airport and then go into the CBD for sightseeing on the first day, or just go straight to the CBD, spend the night there, and then travel to OP on the Friday?  It's DS's first trip there so I want to show him the sights. ;)

Depending on what time you get in, the train from the airport may be cheaper than a cab.  City traffic or queues may make getting a taxi unappealing and the train is very easy to use.

Honestly I'd probably stay in the city, rather than OP.  The nightlife in OP is pretty non-existent.  There are a few bars and resturants around which might be busier than usual because of the event.

BUT, its certainly feasible to spend the Thursday night in the city only if thats your preference.  What's your city accom budget?  I personally love the YHA at Circular Quay.  You can get harbour views and private rooms and bathrooms and its so cheap.

Bluenomi

We always stay at one of the hotels on site. You'll have to factor in parking though, it's avaliable through the hotls but it isn't cheap!

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Thanks everyone for the feedback! :D

I think we'll stay on site, just to make sure we don't caught in any traffic snarls or anything every day. I'm not worried about lack of nightlife as I'm not really into that anymore, and I'm not sure DS12 would be the best bar-hopping companion, lol. ;D :P

Now to hope that the actor I'm going to all this trouble for doesn't have to cancel (for a new TV/film role) once I've booked flights etc.  :-\ :(

Iris

Thanks everyone for the feedback! :D

I think we'll stay on site, just to make sure we don't caught in any traffic snarls or anything every day. I'm not worried about lack of nightlife as I'm not really into that anymore, and I'm not sure DS12 would be the best bar-hopping companion, lol. ;D :P

Now to hope that the actor I'm going to all this trouble for doesn't have to cancel (for a new TV/film role) once I've booked flights etc.  :-\ :(

Who are you going for, if you don't mind me asking. I looked at it after reading this thread, but most of the people I'd really like to see are only at Melbourne/Gold Coast.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
The cast of 'Merlin', specifically Bradley James (King Arthur). I've met a couple of the cast at my homecity Supanovas, but now that my favourite one is coming he's going to Sydney and Perth but not here (:-[ :-\).

Are you near GC or Melbourne?  Who would you like to see?

Iris

I'm near Sydney, which is why I thought "Cool!" when I saw your post. More DD than me, but she would love, love, love to see Alex Kingston. She's a Dr Who nut (I'm a fan, but she can quote every episode) and River Song is about her favourite character ever.

Although I have to agree with her that 'Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought "Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish."' is right up there with the best lines in any show, ever  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Katana_Geldar

Last year they had Christopher Lloyd, and DH and I loved meeting him. Great up, very underrated as an actor and I did enjoy the Martys who were behind us in the line. CL did call them Marty and also had a photo with Matthew Riley and his Delorean.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
No advice, but jumping on this thread, because I've been wondering the exact same thing! I'm in Canberra, and never been to a Supanova before, but am considering going to either the Sydney or Perth one this year. 

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Last year they had Christopher Lloyd, and DH and I loved meeting him. Great up, very underrated as an actor and I did enjoy the Martys who were behind us in the line. CL did call them Marty and also had a photo with Matthew Riley and his Delorean.

Christopher Lloyd is great. He was actually sitting at the next autograph table over when I went to the Brisbane show last year, so I saw him for a bit.

No advice, but jumping on this thread, because I've been wondering the exact same thing! I'm in Canberra, and never been to a Supanova before, but am considering going to either the Sydney or Perth one this year. 

Any particular announced guests you're considering going to Supanova for?

Katana_Geldar

I'm expecting more guests to be announced in the lead up to get people in.