Author Topic: Needing help re. Sydney and/or Olympic Park area (accommodation), please  (Read 1709 times)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
I've been waiting 3 years for my guest, so I am over the moon! It was so unexpected I still don't think I can believe it. Can't wait!  :D ;D

Katana_Geldar

I want to see Patrick Stewart and tell him how much I loved him in I,Claudius and get him to sign two posters of Sejanus. One for me, and one for my aunt who also likes him.

He's my dream guest but I'm not sure if he'll come, he was in Melb last year.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Sometimes things work out and they get the same guest for different cities, in consecutive years, so you might be lucky.  ;) :) 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:07:26 AM by sammycat »

Katana_Geldar

DH and I would probably also be garbed in our Star Trek gear to see him.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
I've only been  to 2 Supanovas so far (or any fan conventions actually), and was absolutely amazed and impressed at the effort some people put into their costumes.  :D  I think DS and I were in the minority in our 'regular' clothes.  ;D

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Last year they had Christopher Lloyd, and DH and I loved meeting him. Great up, very underrated as an actor and I did enjoy the Martys who were behind us in the line. CL did call them Marty and also had a photo with Matthew Riley and his Delorean.

Christopher Lloyd is great. He was actually sitting at the next autograph table over when I went to the Brisbane show last year, so I saw him for a bit.

No advice, but jumping on this thread, because I've been wondering the exact same thing! I'm in Canberra, and never been to a Supanova before, but am considering going to either the Sydney or Perth one this year. 

Any particular announced guests you're considering going to Supanova for?

Would like to see Eve Myles and Kai Owen (who play Gwen and Rhys, respectively, on Torchwood). Also Alan Tudyk, who played Wash on Firefly.

But I'd really just like to check it out, soak up the atmosphere, maybe listen to a panel, etc.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Hello again. :)

I now have a rough plan worked out based on our flights. We'll arrive at the domestic airport mid Thursday morning and plan on staying in Sydney overnight so we can sightsee for Thursday and part of Friday. On Friday afternoon we'll move to Olympic Park and stay there Fri/Sat/Sun nights before flying home Monday afternoon.

So, my questions now are -

Best area to stay in order to see the most sights (Opera House, The Rocks, Centrepoint Tower etc). I'm assuming the CBD? Don't want to spend more than $150/night.
Best/cheapest way to get to hotel area from the airport? 
Best/cheapest way to get to to Olympic Park on Friday?
Best option from Olympic Park to the airport?

A quick check of  the Airport Train, normal trains/buses and shuttles indicates they're all around the same price I think.

We'll be 1 adult, 1 child, hand luggage only (checked luggage costs more than the plane ticket!  >:( :o

Thanks!

katycoo

Hello again. :)

I now have a rough plan worked out based on our flights. We'll arrive at the domestic airport mid Thursday morning and plan on staying in Sydney overnight so we can sightsee for Thursday and part of Friday. On Friday afternoon we'll move to Olympic Park and stay there Fri/Sat/Sun nights before flying home Monday afternoon.

So, my questions now are -

Best area to stay in order to see the most sights (Opera House, The Rocks, Centrepoint Tower etc). I'm assuming the CBD? Don't want to spend more than $150/night. These things aren't very far from eadh other.  The Rocks is at one end of Circular Quay.  The Opera House is at the other.  It's about a 15 minute walk around.  From the middle of Circular Quay it's about a 25 minute walk to Central Station which is at the far away end of the CBD.  Centrepoint is pretty much in the middle in Pitt Street Mall.  Darling Harbour is over to the right (facing Central, back to CQ) and again about a 15 minute walk from CQ.  Its about 20 to walk all the way around or you can cross the pedestrian bridge.  So you can pretty much stay anywhere and you won't be too far from the action.  You might want to invest in a My Multi Day Pass to use all public transport (except the monorail) for the day.

there's not a lot in town for $150p/n, especially on a Friday.  Look at Travelodge or Ibis options.

Best/cheapest way to get to hotel area from the airport?  Train or cab.  Cab to city is about $20, more ift here's traffic.  Train is about the same for 2ppl (maybe a smidge more) but at least its a fixed price. Train can be substantially quicker - there is often a long queue for cabs.

Best/cheapest way to get to to Olympic Park on Friday?Train or cab.  Cab from city to OP is probably about $40 (guess).  Train would be cheaper but obviously depends how far your accomodation is from the station.  You'd catch the train on the yellow western line, purple inner west line or blue south line to Lidcombe station then change platforms to get the sprint train to OP.

Best option from Olympic Park to the airport? Train or cab.  I'd expect a cab to cost $60+ so train is cheaper and can be more reliable in terms of arrival time

A quick check of  the Airport Train, normal trains/buses and shuttles indicates they're all around the same price I think. You don't want a bus or a shuttle I don't think.  But then I hate buses and haven't used a shuttle in Sydney so may be talking out my butt.

You can see the Cityrail train station map here: http://www.cityrail.info/stations/network_map

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Many thanks KatyCoo! That was very helpful info.  :)

I've now booked the Olympic Park accommodation (3 nights) and bought the tickets to the expo.  Just need to book Sydney hotel now and wait impatiently for the dates to roll around.  :D 8)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Hey all,

I (and DF) managed to get tickets for Supanova! (just the Saturday). Yay! Not sure if we'll dress up though...

Sammycat and Katana, are you guys still going? Any other Aussies on eHell going too?

Katana_Geldar

Yes, we got our weekend exhibitor passes! $35 each!

We'll be there with the 501st. Far corner near artists alley.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Katana_Geldar and LifeOnPluto

yes, I'm still going! :D

DS and I are mainly going to see the 'Merlin' cast, and I'm waiting (impatiently) for the official programme to be released so we can make some sort of plan for the weekend. We have the special Excalibur pass, so can't wait to meet/see them!

Katana_Geldar

I'm hoping to see Carrie Fisher, it's $80 but I would like to meet her and have a photo. Se may even come over for a group photo with us.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
I couldn't believe it when  saw the price of Carrie's photo and autographs ($50), but I guess it's worth it for die hard fans.

As an exhibitor do you get special access to the celebrities as well?

Katana_Geldar

No, we don't. We have to pay like everyone else. But we do get to go in early without lining up and a place to sit down and stash our stuff.

i recommend coming to see the 501st around 3pm on Saturday as we have a group photo planned.