Author Topic: Was I "lippy"? Update post #17.  (Read 5132 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Was I "lippy"?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »

From the original post:  "She very abruptly said that "well, can't someone else just give me the information? I don't want to wait until Friday." I took a second to think it over and then said, "okay, come ahead this afternoon." She said okay and then hung up."

When I read the original post, my immediate understanding was that the OP was getting someone else to give Caroline the info, just as Caroline asked (demanded) that she do. 

I agree with this, actually. I was a bit surprised that Caroline WASN'T expecting to meet with someone else.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Was I "lippy"? Update post #17.
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »

As either seller OR buyer, I'd be really upset that you were not going to do anything to help me until the end of the week--especially considering that I'm interested enough to come into the office and sign *anything,* even a confidentiality agreement.

I think you'd have lost the right to be upset when you blew off the original meeting in the morning.

This.  It is also the roadblock, not the OP's schedule.  The roadblock arose when Caroline blew of the originally scheduled meeting.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Miss Unleaded

Re: Was I "lippy"?
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »
I think you should have told her that she could come by that afternoon (if it was ok) but that she would be dealing with your coworker.  You left out an important piece of information for her.  She still thought she'd be dealing with you and was confused.  I don't blame her there.  No, she shouldn't have been grouchy.  And no, she wasn't completely in the right.  But you should have told her that you weren't actually going to be the one that would helping her.

In the context of what the woman said:
She very abruptly said that "well, can't someone else just give me the information? I don't want to wait until Friday." I took a second to think it over and then said, "okay, come ahead this afternoon." She said okay and then hung up.

I would have thought that would be implied.  She asked if someone else could give her the info.  I don't see what the OP did wrong.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
You know, sometimes it seems as if people on e-hell just look for a reason to criticize the original poster.

The OP asked for our feedback.  It was not criticizing her; it was giving her the feedback she requested.  In response, she agreed that there might have been another way that might have been better in handling it.  So I'm really not seeing how the above is true.

I think different perspectives are often taken as criticism when really, they are not.  Sometimes someone completely removed from a situation can point out things we ourselves did not consider, and if this advice is given in the correct way, I don't exactly see it as criticism.

I do agree that Caroline was a bit snotty and entitled, but in the OP's position, I would rather roll my eyes privately and be all sugar and honey to a person I am hoping to make a sale with.

I agree with this. If I ask for feedback on this forum, I'm not wanting people to just nod and agree with me. From what the OP posted, Caroline sounds like a difficult person. 

But you don't know Caroline just decided to blow off the meeting. Who knows what she had going on. Maybe a Drs appointment ran over because of an emergency. Maybe a client of hers came in late causing her schedule to back up. Maybe the plumber who was supposed to arrive at 8am didn't make an appearence till 10am. And she did call to reschedule at 11. Maybe she had a bad reaction to medication she's taking. If she'd try calling at 12:30 or not at all then I'd consider her blowing the schedule off.

As a professional in a sales situation, I agree with Toots that the OP should never had referred to having to "wait all morning" to Caroline. If the OP didn't want to spend the morning in the office then she should have made a specific appointment time with Caroline.

I know sometimes a sales person has to gauge if a buyer is really interested or is just curious. So postponing the meeting till later in the week can help you decide if the person is really interested. And once Caroline indicated she'd like the information that afternoon, OP, as the seller's rep, should have gone out of her way to find a solution to get the info to her, difficult client or not.

I think the OP did a great job of calling Caroline back. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
It doesn't matter why Caroline couldn't make it when she said she would, it matters that she didn't.  That was the catalyst for the entire situation.  On top of that, she was short and rude to both the OP and her colleague.  I have a feeling even if the OP had set up a specific time to meet Caroline, Caroline would have acted exactly the same way (as far as her tone goes).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
It doesn't matter why Caroline couldn't make it when she said she would, it matters that she didn't.  That was the catalyst for the entire situation.  On top of that, she was short and rude to both the OP and her colleague.  I have a feeling even if the OP had set up a specific time to meet Caroline, Caroline would have acted exactly the same way (as far as her tone goes).

Oh, I agree that Caroline would most likely have still remained unpleasent. But the OP intentionally or unintentionally shared that she was not happy about having waited all morning for a no show. And sharing that irritation was in no way going to improve the situation. And as the seller's rep, it is the OP's responsibility to try and create a professional atmosphere that increases opportunities to sell the property.

But I also disagree that why Caroline missed the appointment doesn't matter. Life happens. I don't equate having a valid reason, giving notice and trying to reschedule within an acceptable time frame as "blowing off an appointment". Blowing off an appointment is "I decided I wanted to stay home and watch Judge Judy" and I didn't let you know till the time of or before the appointment.