Author Topic: Hummus!  (Read 2646 times)

mandycorn

Re: Hummus!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
^^
I prefer to eat hummus with something crunchy. I like the difference in textures.  I like hummus with green chiles with regular Sun Chips.

I love eating mine with crunchy pita chips (Stacy's is my go-to brand). They have a good amount of crunch and some salt and that great contrasting texture Hmmmmm mentioned.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Betelnut

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
Hummus is good with almost anything crunchy.  I've eaten it with crackers, pita chips, potato chips, Fritos, Cheezits, pretzels, etc.  But, heck, I've eaten it with my finger or a spoon before!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

jmarvellous

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
I find that canned chickpeas hold the 'can' flavor more than most anything we buy canned (only beans and tomatoes, because I can't stand other canned goods). I rinse the heck out of them before using.

I might have missed it, but i recommend trying some spinach blended up in your hummus or white bean dip.
Had some avocado hummus recently -- tasty, but a very short shelf life.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
i make hummus from scratch - not with canned beans. I make it middle eastern style, and like it super smooth and lemony. here is how i do it (you need to start a day or so in advance).

1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (see no. 1)
about 1/2 cup of prepared tahini sauce (tahini paste mixed with water and lemon juice until the consitancy of thick yoghurt)
additional lemon juice
salt, cumin, garlic, hot peppers
olive oil

1. buy small garbanzo beans or organic ones - i cook one kilo at a time and freeze the extras in small bagss. pick over, rinse and soak in cold water for at least 12 hours. i soak them in the fridge - sometimes garbanzos go wacky and spoil and the fridge prevents that. now rinse well and put in a pot, add cold water and bring to a boil then simmer for 2-3 hours. Or (better method) cook in slow cooker. I don't add salt or baking soda or any of the other tricks. the baking soda does make them softer but also slimier.

2. drain (you can freeze some at this piont). some people reserve the cooking water - i prefer to use fresh water. Take about one cup - that will be your hummus. holding a handful in your hands, rubs your hands together lightly until the skins fall off. (this is an optional - but recommended step). now put the clean beans in a food processor, and start to process. after 1-2 minutes add a little water, then tahini, additional lemon juice, and pulse until it's smooth, adding additiional water if needed. season with salt, garlic, cumin.

3. if using the beans from the freezer - freeze with a little liquid, then defrost carefully in the microwave (let them heat up but not to boiling). then continue as above.

spread on a flat plate, create a crater in the middle wiht the back of a spoon and drizzle olive oil on top. i sprinkle hot paprika on top of that. it's best when it's fresh.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I *love* making hummus. I try to vary it up and so I rotate which recipes I use. Aside from the basic one, which is delicious, here are a couple to try if you want.

Black bean hummus

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-black-bean-hummus-10000001867600/
(I just blend all the ingredients together instead of drizzling stuff on top at the end, and usually end up having to use a little more lemon juice or water than it calls for to thin it out)

Spicy Sirracha White Bean dip

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/spicy-white-bean-dip/

Nikko-chan

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 02:16:39 AM »
i make hummus from scratch - not with canned beans. I make it middle eastern style, and like it super smooth and lemony. here is how i do it (you need to start a day or so in advance).

about 1/2 cup of prepared tahini sauce (tahini paste mixed with water and lemon juice until the consitancy of thick yoghurt)
additional lemon juice
olive oil

1. buy small garbanzo beans or organic ones - i cook one kilo at a time and freeze the extras in small bagss. pick over, rinse and soak in cold water for at least 12 hours. i soak them in the fridge - sometimes garbanzos go wacky and spoil and the fridge prevents that. now rinse well and put in a pot, add cold water and bring to a boil then simmer for 2-3 hours. Or (better method) cook in slow cooker. I don't add salt or baking soda or any of the other tricks. the baking soda does make them softer but also slimier.

2. drain (you can freeze some at this piont). some people reserve the cooking water - i prefer to use fresh water. Take about one cup - that will be your hummus. holding a handful in your hands, rubs your hands together lightly until the skins fall off. (this is an optional - but recommended step). now put the clean beans in a food processor, and start to process. after 1-2 minutes add a little water, then tahini, additional lemon juice, and pulse until it's smooth, adding additiional water if needed. season with salt, garlic, cumin.

3. if using the beans from the freezer - freeze with a little liquid, then defrost carefully in the microwave (let them heat up but not to boiling). then continue as above.

spread on a flat plate, create a crater in the middle wiht the back of a spoon and drizzle olive oil on top. i sprinkle hot paprika on top of that. it's best when it's fresh.

how long do you cook them in a slow cooker for? what setting? how much water? An inquiring mind wants to know!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »

additional lemon juice
olive oil

how long do you cook them in a slow cooker for? what setting? how much water? An inquiring mind wants to know!
you're going to hate me - but till they get really soft.
 ;D

OK - i cook them on high for about 2 hours. sometimes it takes longer, so really - i keep an eye on them. I rinse them (after soaking) and put them in a slow cooker bag with about 1/2 cup of water. i pour boiling water in the bottom and them put the bag on top (as per the instructions on the cooker bag). for making hummus, i like them to be really soft. for other purposes, like mixing with cooked rice, ithey can be less soft.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »

additional lemon juice
olive oil

you're going to hate me - but till they get really soft.
 ;D

OK - i cook them on high for about 2 hours. sometimes it takes longer, so really - i keep an eye on them. I rinse them (after soaking) and put them in a slow cooker bag with about 1/2 cup of water. i pour boiling water in the bottom and them put the bag on top (as per the instructions on the cooker bag). for making hummus, i like them to be really soft. for other purposes, like mixing with cooked rice, ithey can be less soft.

Until soft pretty much sums it up.

I don't pre-soak mine. I toss them in the slow cooker, check for pebbles and then cover with 3 inches of water.  I put the slow cooker on High and start checking them every half hour after 3 hours adding more water (boiling) if they're no longer covered. 3.5-4 hours is the usual amount of time but occasionally, it's been 5 hours.
The days are long but the years are short.