Author Topic: Is it rude for a child to ask a salesperson for help?  (Read 5369 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Is it rude for a child to ask a salesperson for help?
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
I work as a cashier and, while there are several reasons I might be less than thrilled to have a certain person as a customer, that person's age isn't even on the list. Your daughter was wonderful, and the kind of person I'd really enjoy helping.

I also work in retail, and whyile I don't get very young kids, every now and then I've had one maybe 8+ who will come out and politely ask (for their mom) if we have a cetain item in a different size or color. To me, they are just another customer. And I am happy to help them, regardless of their age.  If i were in a situatuion like you were with your daughter, I wouldn't have had any problem at all. SHe was polite, and knew what she was looking for.

For me, its the kids who come in and run amok while mom shops and isn't at all attentive that gets me.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »
    AS someone with years of retail/customer service experience, the standard I'd like parents to apply ,"can my child conduct the transaction in the normal expected manner?"  Your daughter did that  ;)   

Jocelyn

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
Reading the first post, I was struck with sadness at a parent thinking that interacting with his child could only be an imposition. And even if the clerk thought that, it's HIS PROBLEM. When you work retail, you have to be prepared to serve a variety of customers. It wouldn't be acceptable for a clerk to feel imposed upon because a customer was of the 'wrong' race, or gender- it's no more acceptable to think that certain customers are unacceptable because they are either too young or too old.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2013, 12:33:46 PM »
I actively encourage my son to handle simple transactions on his own.  It teaches him how to 'talk to strangers' and ensures that he is comfortable asking help from adults when needed.

He loves going to yard sales and 'bargaining'.  His favorite technique is to find something that costs a dollar and then tell the proprietor that he only has a quarter, then break out the gap-toothed grin and long eye-lashes.  Fortunately, he is willing to take 'no' for an answer and come back with 'I asked my mommy for another dollar' if it is something he really wants.

He is getting to the point where he'll find something for $10, offer $5, and haggle to the $8 or so mark. 

JeseC

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
Honestly?  Having worked retail, actual children were quite often a refreshing change from some of the adults!