General Etiquette > Family and Children

Between a rock and a hard place (update post 43)

<< < (2/14) > >>

Geekychick1984:
I agree with everyone else - you should just tell them know. People shouldn't have children so that they will owe them something later in life.

ClaireC79:
From the other thread, which you linked to, it's not clear to me if you still live there.  If you do and it's rent free then I can see where they are coming from with the 'owe us' and you probably do have to suck it up as a condition of living there- however housesitting seems like a strange term to use about where you live so if you have moved out ignore the above

oogyda:
The simple solution is to let DF stay at your flat while you are pet sitting. 

Since it seems to be him that is most adversely effected by the situation, let him off the hook.

Then next time, say "No."

edited to make a complete sentence.

*inviteseller:
Tell them no.  And for now, send DF home.  His career is not worth this. 
FTR - I have 4 cats and a dog and sleeping in is not possible.  Remember,  these pets have a schedule and are used to following it and there is nothing you can convince a hungry cat or a dog who has to go out nownownow with to let you sleep in.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: oogyda on May 01, 2013, 08:06:52 AM ---The simple solution is to let DF stay at your flat while you are pet sitting. 

Since it seems to be him that is most adversely effected by the situation, let him off the hook.

Then next time, say "No."

--- End quote ---

I agree--this seems like a very simple solution.

You do *right now* have a commitment to your parents to care for their animals. But the pets don't need BOTH of you, and they don't really need you to sleep there.

So your DF can sleep in his own bed, and you can either stay at your folks' or not, and you can decide on a night-by-night basis, based on the logistics of traveling back and forth, etc.

OK, so you don't get to sleep together for a few days. You'll live.

The animals need someone to feed and water them and to let them out to go to the bathroom. When I have a cat sitter, he only stops by once a day to put out fresh water, clean the box, and

Dogs need more frequent bathroom trips, that's true. So maybe sleeping there is the easiest way.

And then the NEXT time, you tell them no. Suggest they find some neighbor kid (middle school is good, bcs parents often serve as backup) to stop by.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version