General Etiquette > Family and Children

Between a rock and a hard place (update post 43)

<< < (14/14)

JoyinVirginia:
I'm still confused as to why a detached house is considered so much more dangerous than a duplex or apartment building. Op, I would be interested in any info. Is their neighborhood really crime ridden more than other areas?

artk2002:

--- Quote from: JoyinVirginia on May 14, 2013, 11:49:12 AM ---I'm still confused as to why a detached house is considered so much more dangerous than a duplex or apartment building. Op, I would be interested in any info. Is their neighborhood really crime ridden more than other areas?

--- End quote ---

You're trying to apply rationality to what is, at best, an irrational fear. Or at least the magnitude of it is irrational. Certainly it's possible that someone could break in, find nothing of value and then trash the furniture. The chances of a break in in a good neighborhood are not much greater at night (if nobody is home) than during the day (when frequently nobody is home.) The chances of a break in at all in a nice neighborhood aren't that great either. The idea that someone must be in the house while the owners are on vacation, or some disaster will occur, isn't rational. Unfortunately, OP seems to have bought into this same fear.

Can stuff go wrong? Sure. There are no guarantees in life. But living ones life to avoid a .1% possibility (statistic made up, so don't go quoting me) is very unwise.

bopper:
I think this would be good for the OP to read:
http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Being-Taken-for-Granted

You have set a boundary. Yay!  What "Takers" do when shown a boundary is to push it.  So expect your mom to ramp up the guilt.  She is just trying to see how hard she has to push to get the boundary to come down.  But you have to be firm, otherwise she will learn that it takes 5 phone calls, 4 guilts and a "you will never see the pets again!" to get you to change your mind.

My stepmom has a dog.  She chooses vacation spots where they can bring the dog.  Sounds like your mom wants a vacation from the pets!

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on May 13, 2013, 07:49:02 AM ---Amusing how "sacrifices" that "must be made" don't include not taking vacations where they can't take the animals.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. The sacrifices all seem to be one-sided- and it isn't the animals actual owner who'll be making them.

caz:

--- Quote from: Sophia on May 13, 2013, 11:44:57 PM ---I am going to do a really dirty trick on you, but I think it is worthwhile.

--- Quote ---I know this goes against everything we had pounded into us since birth, but trust me, it's true: sometimes it's okay to be selfish. When you think about it, a sense of self-preservation is a form of selfishness, yet it is necessary.
--- End quote ---

(written by you in another thread)

Yes, yes, I am mean and horrible.

--- End quote ---

Great point, Sophia!  (Not that I think you're mean or horrible :))

If we all treated ourselves like we think others should be treated, we would be happier people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version