Author Topic: YOUR girl?  (Read 12345 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: YOUR girl?
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
Variation on this I have 1 sister.  Dad taught us to use power tools, build things, shoot -  lots of things people want to call Male. We would get "Wow your Dad really wanted a boy." If Dad heard he got cold angry. He was teaching us to be self  sufficient and he had guns in the house so gun safety was a priority.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
Variation on this I have 1 sister.  Dad taught us to use power tools, build things, shoot -  lots of things people want to call Male. We would get "Wow your Dad really wanted a boy." If Dad heard he got cold angry. He was teaching us to be self  sufficient and he had guns in the house so gun safety was a priority.

I've gotten this as well.  I work on my own car, can mange with almost every power tool in my father's extremely well-stocked garage (three car garage packed to the gills with pretty much every tool imaginable), won't blink twice at even substantial home repair projects, and tote around either a Glock 9mm or a Colt 45.  My father, as yours, simply wanted us to be self-sufficient and safe around the guns that were in the house.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2013, 06:49:15 AM »
My best friend is like that as well.  She's the younger of two sisters and her dad taught her to use tools and such so now that he's gone and her brother in law is also deceased, anytime her sister needs anything done around the house that involves tools, she goes over to handle it. :)

I learned how to use tools in shop, in middle school and can wield tools pretty well myself. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jaelle

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
A friend of mine (a guy who has three daughters), who is a huge Star Wars nut (like DH and I), once got "Oh, you must try for a boy! Don't you want to be able to buy Star Wars toys?!" (From a woman)

Fortunately, I was sputtering so hard I couldn't respond. (DH found that hysterical.) :D  Friend just responded politely, "It didn't stop me." And soon thereafter found someone else to talk to.

(Side story. When we were at Disney World's Hollywood Studios last week, I was standing outside the Stars Wars merchandise store with the boys, talking about our next plans. During a quiet moment, I heard a woman who had been waiting nearby with a little girl tell her, "Oh, you don't want to go on THAT ride." (Star Tours) "That ride is just for boys!")

>:( >:( >:(
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
...     During a quiet moment, I heard a woman who had been waiting nearby with a little girl tell her, "Oh, you don't want to go on THAT ride." (Star Tours) "That ride is just for boys!")

Sadly, it goes the opposite direction too. 

Several years ago we took our then four and two and a half year old grandsons to Disney World and some total strangers stopped us to tell us the boys wouldn't want to see the stage production of Beauty and the Beast because it was for girls.   :o

Bluenomi

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
A friend of mine (a guy who has three daughters), who is a huge Star Wars nut (like DH and I), once got "Oh, you must try for a boy! Don't you want to be able to buy Star Wars toys?!" (From a woman)

Fortunately, I was sputtering so hard I couldn't respond. (DH found that hysterical.) :D  Friend just responded politely, "It didn't stop me." And soon thereafter found someone else to talk to.

(Side story. When we were at Disney World's Hollywood Studios last week, I was standing outside the Stars Wars merchandise store with the boys, talking about our next plans. During a quiet moment, I heard a woman who had been waiting nearby with a little girl tell her, "Oh, you don't want to go on THAT ride." (Star Tours) "That ride is just for boys!")

You buy the Star Wars toys for yourself. Most of the lego in our house is mine, all either Star Wars or Indi stuff  ;D DD knows not to touch Mummy's falcon!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43:14 AM »
Oh for pity's sake! 

When we went to visit my cousin last year, his youngest was 14 months old and liked to play with his sister's My Little Pony toys which really bugged my cousin.  He would hold up Buzz Lightyear and a Pinkie Pie doll and when his boy picked Pinkie he said "No no no! You want Buzz!  Buzz is a boy toy!"

Now my DH is a Brony so he found this rather amusing and I asked "What's the harm in him playing with girl toys" (while my middle child played with the My Little Ponies with cousin's daughter) Well cousin seemed to think his wife was pushing the girly toys on him or something. (She wasn't, but she wasn't discouraging him either because again, 14 months old, a toy's a toy at that age)

He said "I don't have a problem with him picking a girl toy but I want it to be his own choice and not forced on him."  Says the guy who kept pushing Buzz Lightyear at his boy when his son picked Pinkie)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

selkiewoman

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
I have 4 ( boy-girl-boy-girl), and my 3rd pregnancy was greeted with some disapproval by older relatives, who saw no need to proceed any further after I already had the 'set'.

My daughter just had her 5th boy.  She had a couple of days of let-down after the ultrasound for #4, but with #5, she pretty much took the sex for granted, just wanted to make sure fingers and toes etc. were all accounted for.  We all love these boys to pieces, can't imagine them being one bit different.

But everyone and his dog feels her family is incomplete without a girl, and it's a darn shame (and has no problem whatever informing her on that.)

Cami

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
We have one child -- a girl. We were asked countless times when we were going to try for a boy. A few people were relentless. Every time they'd bring it up,  I'd respond, "Why do you keep asking that question?" That usually stopped them. I did have one person respond, "Because my life would be incomplete without a boy. I cannot imagine not having a son." To which I replied, "I'm sorry for your failure of imagination."

heartmug

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
I have 4 ( boy-girl-boy-girl), and my 3rd pregnancy was greeted with some disapproval by older relatives, who saw no need to proceed any further after I already had the 'set'.

I got that same "helpful" advice while pregnant with #3  >:(
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »

I got that same "helpful" advice while pregnant with #3  >:(

Same here!  "Well, you already have one of each.  Why would you want a third?"
We even got a lot of insinuations that it was too bad our BC failed!   And even "Why would you want to upset the balance?  Are you planning on having a fourth to even things out?"   :o

lowspark

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
I know someone who has two kids and (having nothing to do with the gender of the kids) had a saying that she and her husband had come up with.

"Us four, no more."

Kind of pithy -- maybe you can just repeat that to this person.

But if all else fails, I vote for putting her on the spot by asking her point blank why she feels it is any of her business (or just telling her point blank that it's not). I don't usually like to say something like that so directly but when someone persists in butting in, there's little other choice.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »
The question says a great deal about the other person.

ITA.

I had 2 boys. I wanted boys, mainly because I grew up with 4 brothers and get men more than I get women. Comments like the OP gets make me go  :o.