General Etiquette > Life...in general

new neighbors and their friendly, but annoying, dog *lackluster update #26

(1/7) > >>

StareDecisis:
My husband and I recently moved into a new house (rental) with a yard!  After living in a condo with our two dogs, we are thrilled :)  The yard is medium size, with neighbors to the left and to the right, but open at the back to some land on a steep hill.  It is not fenced. 

Our neighbors to the left have a small dog who seems to be constantly outside.  He runs over as soon as he hears our door open to play in our yard with our dogs.  He is friendly and very sweet, but I do not want the responsibility of watching him with my two larger dogs, nor do I want to pick up after him (he potties every.single.time he visits).  We have tried taking him back to his house and knocking on the door, but no one has answered.  I'm not sure if he's home alone all day, or if the owners are inside and just don't respond to knocks.  We contacted our new landlord, who said just deal with the neighbors directly (she has only owned the house a short time - we are the first tenants- so she doesn't know them). 

I am hoping to find a time when the neighbors are home to talk to them, but we've been here almost a week and have seen no sign of them.  If we don't see them soon, I was thinking of leaving a note at their door.  Can you please help me with the wording?  I don't want to start off a bad relationship, but I want that dog to stay out of my yard!

Dear neighbors,

We have just moved in next door at (house #), and we are looking forward to meeting you!  We have already met your sweet dog, (dog's name).  Although he is very friendly, he seems to come over to our yard to visit every time we are outside.  We do not want the responsibility of watching him and cleaning up after him, so we ask that you please keep him in your own yard.  If you're interested, we'd love to schedule a puppy play date with you and (dog's name) when you are available! 

Thanks,

DH and StareDecisis

Calistoga:
Mmm...instead of "We don't want the responsibility of minding him", I'd try something like "Our dogs X and Y are much bigger and play rough, so we're worried that Z might get hurt! Please keep him in your yard, as we can not keep an eye on him." On the off chance that there are protests- Oh, Z is good with bigger dogs!- then mention that he also makes a mess in the yard that you don't want to have to clean up.

MindsEye:
Is it possible to ask the landlord to put up a fence between your yard and the neighbor dog's yard?

Edited to add:
Also find out about what dog/leash laws are like in your area. 

snowdragon:
I would be calling the animal control folks at this point. You've tried going over there and got ignored.  having to pay the fines for her release will make them pay attention a bit more.

JenJay:

--- Quote from: Calistoga on May 01, 2013, 12:52:06 PM ---Mmm...instead of "We don't want the responsibility of minding him", I'd try something like "Our dogs X and Y are much bigger and play rough, so we're worried that Z might get hurt! Please keep him in your yard, as we can not keep an eye on him." On the off chance that there are protests- Oh, Z is good with bigger dogs!- then mention that he also makes a mess in the yard that you don't want to have to clean up.

--- End quote ---

I agree. To keep things neighborly, I'd start off coming from a place of concern for their dog's well-being and take it to "your dog is annoying me - keep it at home" only if I had to.

--- Quote from: snowdragon on May 01, 2013, 12:56:13 PM ---I would be calling the animal control folks at this point. You've tried going over there and got ignored.  having to pay the fines for her release will make them pay attention a bit more.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't resort to that at this point, only because people this irresponsible might not go rescue the dog and if their local animal control place isn't a no-kill shelter, well...  :-\.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version