Author Topic: new neighbors and their friendly, but annoying, dog *lackluster update #26  (Read 7483 times)

Seven Ate Nine

Re: new neighbors and their friendly, but annoying, dog
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »
I would be very careful mentioning potential safety issues re: your dogs. it could set you up to be liable if something were to happen to the smaller dog in your yard (or even not in your yard).

I do agree with the poster who said that it sounds like the homeowners moved without the dog. have you met the other neighbors? I would ask if they know anything about the house or the dog. if they are not sure or you dont know them I would look into taking the dog to a vet and finding out if it has a chip, or calling animal control.

[Sorry about the poor capitalization.... just realized that my phone doesn't do auto caps or auto punctuation since I reset it]

Calistoga

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
It seems like if they moved without him, he'd be starved for food as well as attention. And he's being kept at least some what clean.

OP, have you seen neighbors there at all? Might your landlord know the people?

Aquamarine

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
Call animal control the next time and let them sort it out.  The neighbors either don't care or don't see a problem and you are being robbed of your ability to use your property the way you want to without interference.  You have tried once to knock on their door to no avail, for me that's the only chance they would get.

This is what animal control is there for.  Perhaps the dog can go to a home where he won't be left to fend for himself.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

cheyne

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
Could this be a situation where the neighbors are on vacation and someone is stopping by to feed/water the dog?  The fact that you haven't been there a week sounds like this may be the case.

perpetua

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
Call animal control the next time and let them sort it out.  The neighbors either don't care or don't see a problem and you are being robbed of your ability to use your property the way you want to without interference.  You have tried once to knock on their door to no avail, for me that's the only chance they would get.

And what if they were out at the time? I don't think that's much of a chance.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »

Outside dog with no fence?  Owners should at least be home.  While I'm sure that there are places where it's not illegal, I seriously doubt that they are also the types of places that have neighbors close enough together that the dog would wind up in the neighbor's yard.  I don't disagree with the idea of outdoor dogs, but they really do need to be contained somehow.  From the OP, it doesn't sound like this is a dog that has escaped his yard, but instead a dog without a clear boundary of what is his yard.

Salvage3

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
I'm sure it's very frustrating to you, and I appreciate that you are concerned for the neighbor's dog.  However, if possible, I would try to find out if wandering dogs is the norm for the neighborhood.  I have lived where this was quite common.  If not, and if you do not want to put up a fence at the moment, you might talk to the neighbors and offer to pay for an invisible fence for their dog (if they are willing to have her wear the collar).  Best wishes.  You are certainly trying to be a good neighbor.

Aquamarine

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »

If they are out then why is their dog running loose in the neighborhood instead of being inside their house?  To me that is an even stronger reason to give them one chance only.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
I would be very careful mentioning potential safety issues re: your dogs. it could set you up to be liable if something were to happen to the smaller dog in your yard (or even not in your yard).

^This.

Plus it's only been 1 week since you've move in?

Please don't call animal control until you've talked to the owners.

I like your note as-is.

Calistoga

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »

If they are out then why is their dog running loose in the neighborhood instead of being inside their house?  To me that is an even stronger reason to give them one chance only.

Where I live we aren't allowed to have indoor pets. We have a pretty large chunk of land that butts up with what is essentially communal forested area that doesn't belong to any of the renters but that we all use. It's a rural neighborhood on a county road, so not really a suburban sprawl. It's quite common for dogs to come and visit, and our dog goes and visits the neighbors. I'd personally be incredibly upset if my dog went and visited someone and they called animal control... the entire neighborhood has their dogs running around these giant open forest back yards. BUT for the most part, everyone's dog has a collar with a name and number tag.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
After only a week, I wouldn't leave a note yet.

They could be on vacation or dealing with an illness or family issue. I'd go another week trying to talk to them.

StareDecisis

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Anticlimactic update:  neighbors (who apparently still live in the house) have taken to chaining up the dog in the yard. when he is outside.  We still haven't seen them, so we haven't had an opportunity to speak with them, but perhaps they read ehell?  The poor dog still tries to run over to our yard, but is thwarted by his chain.  It is a good update in that he now is in his own yard, but I feel terrible for him :(  We called animal control, but they are not able to act unless there is clear abuse, and a lonely dog tied up in a yard does not qualify, unfortunately. 

BarensMom

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
What a crummy update!  That poor puppy.

Syrse

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »
Anticlimactic update:  neighbors (who apparently still live in the house) have taken to chaining up the dog in the yard. when he is outside.  We still haven't seen them, so we haven't had an opportunity to speak with them, but perhaps they read ehell?  The poor dog still tries to run over to our yard, but is thwarted by his chain.  It is a good update in that he now is in his own yard, but I feel terrible for him :(  We called animal control, but they are not able to act unless there is clear abuse, and a lonely dog tied up in a yard does not qualify, unfortunately.

Err, but a dog needs shelter and water at all times? If he is chained up without either, then that is grounds for abuse.

StareDecisis

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 01:53:10 AM »

Err, but a dog needs shelter and water at all times? If he is chained up without either, then that is grounds for abuse.

Sadly, the animal control worker said that it would need to be an extended period of time without food and water (and I am honestly not sure that he is without food and water while chained, but I'm guessing they probably haven't left him anything), not just an afternoon/day, and that shelter must be provided when the elements require it.  So far, there hasn't been any rain or extreme temperature while he's out there.  The animal control worker agreed that it was too bad, but said that their hands are tied.  Most shelters here are not no-kill, so things wouldn't be so great for him if animal control picked him up, anyway.  I wish I could do something for the little guy :(  Thanks for all of the advice and replies!