Author Topic: new neighbors and their friendly, but annoying, dog *lackluster update #26  (Read 7916 times)

StareDecisis

My husband and I recently moved into a new house (rental) with a yard!  After living in a condo with our two dogs, we are thrilled :)  The yard is medium size, with neighbors to the left and to the right, but open at the back to some land on a steep hill.  It is not fenced. 

Our neighbors to the left have a small dog who seems to be constantly outside.  He runs over as soon as he hears our door open to play in our yard with our dogs.  He is friendly and very sweet, but I do not want the responsibility of watching him with my two larger dogs, nor do I want to pick up after him (he potties every.single.time he visits).  We have tried taking him back to his house and knocking on the door, but no one has answered.  I'm not sure if he's home alone all day, or if the owners are inside and just don't respond to knocks.  We contacted our new landlord, who said just deal with the neighbors directly (she has only owned the house a short time - we are the first tenants- so she doesn't know them). 

I am hoping to find a time when the neighbors are home to talk to them, but we've been here almost a week and have seen no sign of them.  If we don't see them soon, I was thinking of leaving a note at their door.  Can you please help me with the wording?  I don't want to start off a bad relationship, but I want that dog to stay out of my yard!

Dear neighbors,

We have just moved in next door at (house #), and we are looking forward to meeting you!  We have already met your sweet dog, (dog's name).  Although he is very friendly, he seems to come over to our yard to visit every time we are outside.  We do not want the responsibility of watching him and cleaning up after him, so we ask that you please keep him in your own yard.  If you're interested, we'd love to schedule a puppy play date with you and (dog's name) when you are available! 

Thanks,

DH and StareDecisis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:54:02 AM by StareDecisis »

Calistoga

Re: new neighbors and their friendly, but annoying, dog
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
Mmm...instead of "We don't want the responsibility of minding him", I'd try something like "Our dogs X and Y are much bigger and play rough, so we're worried that Z might get hurt! Please keep him in your yard, as we can not keep an eye on him." On the off chance that there are protests- Oh, Z is good with bigger dogs!- then mention that he also makes a mess in the yard that you don't want to have to clean up.

MindsEye

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
Is it possible to ask the landlord to put up a fence between your yard and the neighbor dog's yard?

Edited to add:
Also find out about what dog/leash laws are like in your area. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:56:28 PM by MindsEye »

snowdragon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
I would be calling the animal control folks at this point. You've tried going over there and got ignored.  having to pay the fines for her release will make them pay attention a bit more.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Mmm...instead of "We don't want the responsibility of minding him", I'd try something like "Our dogs X and Y are much bigger and play rough, so we're worried that Z might get hurt! Please keep him in your yard, as we can not keep an eye on him." On the off chance that there are protests- Oh, Z is good with bigger dogs!- then mention that he also makes a mess in the yard that you don't want to have to clean up.

I agree. To keep things neighborly, I'd start off coming from a place of concern for their dog's well-being and take it to "your dog is annoying me - keep it at home" only if I had to.

I would be calling the animal control folks at this point. You've tried going over there and got ignored.  having to pay the fines for her release will make them pay attention a bit more.

I wouldn't resort to that at this point, only because people this irresponsible might not go rescue the dog and if their local animal control place isn't a no-kill shelter, well...  :-\.

StareDecisis

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »
Is it possible to ask the landlord to put up a fence between your yard and the neighbor dog's yard?

Edited to add:
Also find out about what dog/leash laws are like in your area. 

We would LOVE a fence.  We asked before we signed the lease, and she said she would get a quote and see if she could afford it, or that we are welcome to add one at our own expense.  We would prefer not to pay for it ourselves, obviously :) We can ask her to get a quote, but she is about to leave the country to help a family member who is ill, so I doubt a fence is a priority for her right now. 

I agree. To keep things neighborly, I'd start off coming from a place of concern for their dog's well-being and take it to "your dog is annoying me - keep it at home" only if I had to.

I wouldn't resort to that at this point, only because people this irresponsible might not go rescue the dog and if their local animal control place isn't a no-kill shelter, well...  :-\.

I would prefer not to call animal control unless we are unable to resolve it another way.  The poor dog is so nice, and I think he's lonely.  He smells very strongly of urine, but he is groomed, so it doesn't seem that he is 100% neglected.  He runs to my husband to be picked up, and I think he just wants some attention :(  I feel sorry for him. 

Calistoga

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:01:30 PM »
Maybe offer to go halvsies on the fence if the cost is a bit prohibitive? Landlord may be willing to knock a bit off rent for the month if you do.

Promise

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
A chain link fence isn't expensive. You just need a post hole digger, the fencing materials and time. Granted, it's not the prettiest fence, but it's what we did since we have dogs and didn't want to annoy neighbors. I think it cost $1-2 per foot for the chain, the same for the rail, and then the cost of the posts and rings to attach the chain. Depending on the size, it will be a few hundred if you do it yourselves. My husband installed about 50 feet over a weekend.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »
I agree with you that the poor dog is probably starved for attention.  I would go with what PP said about expressing concern that the dog would get hurt by your dogs.  Always try the path of least resistance first.

Janice

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
If putting up a larger fence isn't an option, can you run a single line of electrical fence tape at a level that will discourage neighbor dog from visiting?  Most building supply stores will have the line and transformers, and it's cheap and lightweight. Or would a temporary fence made up of movable panels that you could remove or sell if you left this house be an option? If neighbor dog is small, you could go with something that's only a few feet high. You can sometimes find them on Craigslist or other local classifieds.

I think your note is fine, and strikes a nice balance between neighborly greetings and "don't let your dog mess in our yard". I'd avoid mentioning that X and Y might hurt Z, as it may suggest to the neighbor that your dogs are "nasty", which isn't the case.

Is there anywhere safe and dry/shady in the neighbor's back yard where you could tether Z with a water dish if he comes visiting and the neighbors aren't there when you knock? That way he's safe, but not in your space. Leave a note on their door "Dear neighbors, Z was in our yard again, so he's secured out back under the oak tree". Obviously you wouldn't do this and leave the dog for hours or if it got dark or stormy, but to me containing a wandering pet isn't unreasonable.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »

This seems like a kind way to let the neighbors save face (i.e., not say they're letting their dog be a nuisance), but I think the OP should consider very carefully before saying something like this. If the little dog ever does get hurt, the neighbor could claim that the OP knew her dogs were "dangerous" and didn't take proper precautions. Or the neighbor could start making waves about the OP letting her "dangerous" dogs out in an unfenced yard. As long as the OP's dogs are well-behaved and staying in their yard, while the neighbor dog trespasses, then it's clear who's in the wrong. However, if the neighbor claims that the OP "admitted" that her dogs are "dangerous" while still letting them off leash in an unfenced yard, then the issue could get muddier.

Perhaps something like:

Dear neighbors,

We have just moved in next door at (house #), and we are looking forward to meeting you!  We have already met your sweet dog, (dog's name).  Although he is very friendly, he seems to come over to our yard to visit every time we are outside.  We do not want the responsibility of watching him and cleaning up after him, so we ask that you please keep him in your own yard. We're not prepared to supervise and clean up after additional dogs, so we have to request that you please keep him from wandering into our yard. If you're interested, we'd love to schedule a puppy play date with you and (dog's name) when you are available!

Thanks,

DH and StareDecisis

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »
Dear Neighbors,
  We just moved into 123 Our Street.  Are you aware your dog is able to get outside during the day?  It comes to visit with us ever ytime my dogs come out, and is very cute, but as my dogs are larger, I don't feel comfortable having them play together unsupervised, as we cannot always keep our eye on it and their interactions.  If there is a way to keep it from our yard unless you are there to supervise, that would be great!

Mr & Mrs StareDecisis

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
Dear Neighbors,
  We just moved into 123 Our Street.  Are you aware your dog is able to get outside during the day?  It comes to visit with us ever ytime my dogs come out, and is very cute, but as my dogs are larger, I don't feel comfortable having them play together unsupervised, as we cannot always keep our eye on it and their interactions. If there is a way to keep it from our yard unless you are there to supervise, that would be great!

Mr & Mrs StareDecisis

I think the bolded phrasing is an excellent way of addressing the safety issue.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
OP, are you sure there are neighbors next door?  Save for the grooming, it sounds like the pup didn't make the move.   :-\

Please don't call animal control unless you know, for certain, that it's a no kill shelter.  I feel really bad for the little one.  I've got a small dog (technically, she's still a puppy but she's nearly done growing) and she loves snuggling.  So, when you can and feel inclined, please pick him/her up and give him/her some hugs. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »
I had the opposite situation when I rented a country place a few years ago. I had two senior Chihuahuas and the neighbors had two larger dogs who would come over to play. They were sweet, but I always worried they'd play too rough for my two. They had some sort of invisible fence/shock collar thing, but the batteries in the collars died, and the neighbors never got around to replacing them. All I could do was limit my dogs' time outdoors and give the neighbor dogs a firm "Go! Home!" when they tried to come over. I like the idea of a polite note with the wording that PPs have suggested and the invitation to a supervised play date. Or telling them the same thing in person.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady