Author Topic: new neighbors and their friendly, but annoying, dog *lackluster update #26  (Read 7634 times)

AngelicGamer

I know it would be trespassing, but I'd bring the poor dog a bowl of water.  If only to ease my own mind to either see bowls there (and therefore not leave mine) or not and be able to give the dog some water.

:(  Poor thing.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

squeakers

Re: new neighbors and their friendly, but annoying, dog
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 05:52:48 AM »
Anticlimactic update:  neighbors (who apparently still live in the house) have taken to chaining up the dog in the yard. when he is outside.  We still haven't seen them, so we haven't had an opportunity to speak with them, but perhaps they read ehell?  The poor dog still tries to run over to our yard, but is thwarted by his chain.  It is a good update in that he now is in his own yard, but I feel terrible for him :(  We called animal control, but they are not able to act unless there is clear abuse, and a lonely dog tied up in a yard does not qualify, unfortunately.

Err, but a dog needs shelter and water at all times? If he is chained up without either, then that is grounds for abuse.

Sadly, the animal control worker said that it would need to be an extended period of time without food and water (and I am honestly not sure that he is without food and water while chained, but I'm guessing they probably haven't left him anything), not just an afternoon/day, and that shelter must be provided when the elements require it.  So far, there hasn't been any rain or extreme temperature while he's out there.  The animal control worker agreed that it was too bad, but said that their hands are tied.  Most shelters here are not no-kill, so things wouldn't be so great for him if animal control picked him up, anyway.  I wish I could do something for the little guy :(  Thanks for all of the advice and replies!

There is something you can do but... you could leave a note taped to their door about how their dog seemed to enjoy playing with your dogs.  Would they be interested in setting up playdates? The playdates could be all day or for whatever time amount you feel comfortable with doing.

And the But.. you would have to watch him, know what shots he has, what flea meds he is on*.. and basically take on having a 3rd dog.

Or you could surreptitiously go over 3 times a day and make sure he has water, shade and food (once a day). If any of those are lacking on a daily basis 3 times a day.. report them.

*You don't want your dogs to pick up fleas from him.  Even though they may be on meds bites happen.. and crap gets transmitted thru flea bites.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Calistoga

Checking up on the dog 3 times a day to see if he has water and food seems like it would be more work than just letting him in the yard.

Poor puppy. Does he at least have a decent length of chain to run the yard with?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
I know it would be trespassing, but I'd bring the poor dog a bowl of water.  If only to ease my own mind to either see bowls there (and therefore not leave mine) or not and be able to give the dog some water.

Posts like yours in this thread make me happy to be an EHellion. I would do the same thing.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

AngelicGamer

Posts like yours in this thread make me happy to be an EHellion. I would do the same thing.

:)  We are pretty awesome group of people. 

And, for me, I just think what I would do if I was in the OP's shoes.  It's not the same, due to being cats, but there are some cats who seem to be completely outdoor in the summer.  They're not feral as far as I can figure out and I'm not sure if they just slip outside or if the owners put them out.  We have an outside water bowl for the dog that I make sure is full or near full that I've seen a cat here and there drink out of.  Casey (our old dog) never seemed to mind it, but I don't know if Cookie (new puppy) will - it'll be the experiment for the summer.  I can't leave out food, mostly because mom is very much against having any sort of cat and my aunt is highly allergic, so I do what I can. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.