Author Topic: What gets your goat?  (Read 5298 times)

lellah

What gets your goat?
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:23:07 PM »
Another (pregnant!) poster in the forum asked about people who tell her she looks like she's having twins.  I'm sure that's 100% terrible to hear. Or 34% anyway.

There are things people say to others that aren't really rude but are a trifle strange or awkward or just annoying through repetition.  What bugs you?

lkdrymom

Re: What gets your goat?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
Strangers telling me to smile.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
When a person ask me a question and walk away before I can even open my mouth.  The questions are never serious, more like "What are you watching?" but still... >:(

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
People who assume just because I'm single and don't have kids my life is sooo much fun. Um sure. I work 2 jobs, 6 days a week and my one day off, Sunday, I spend cleaning, running errands, cooking, doing laundry, etc. or try and cram all that into the few free evenings I have so I'm not so crazed on the weekends.

they seem to forget that yes I am single, which is nice, but that also means I don't have anyone else IN my household, SO, kids etc. to help out with all the boring, necessary, everyday living stuff.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »
This happened today at the farmers market and made me feel invisible. 
We go to the coffeehouse very often and have known the owners for probably 15 years.  I have kind of noticed before that the husband owner is cool to me if I am alone, and not much better if my husband and I are both there.  Today we walked past him right together, holding hands, in fact, at the market and he looked at my husband and smiled and said, "Hi, Mr. Bijou.", ignoring me completely.
It irked me so much that after we were a ways past him where he couldn't hear, I said, "Hello, Mrs. Bijou."   >:D  and wondered aloud, "Why did he ignore me?"  My husband didn't say anything.  I think he should have at least acknowledged to me the man's rudeness.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:55:41 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:15:30 AM »
I can't say that this has happened very often, but when the weather is nice I will sometimes sit in the park with a crochet project.  I sometimes make baby blankets to sell or donate, and I'm sort of heavy.  Three times, I've been complimented on the item and then been asked, "When are you due?"  ::)  It's annoying, but judging by how mortified they were when I told them I wasn't pregnant, they weren't being malicious.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:09:59 AM »
I'm currently taking a discussion based course where there there are only 3 other students. One student always manages to change the topic and have a monologue for a good 15 to 20 minutes. Then, class goes over by 15 to 20 minutes so that we finish going over the relevant material.

I had a meeting scheduled for right after the class today, so I ducked out when the class was supposed to end. During my meeting, I get a text from the chatterbox saying the professor was irritated I left before all the material was covered. And who's fault is that?

For the record, I emailed the professor as soon as I was out of my meeting and explained the situation. She didn't mind and said she'd see me next week.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 01:32:39 AM »
When people tell me to "chill out". Might as well pour gasoline on a brush fire.  >:(

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
When someone tells me "Oh just do what you can" rather than actually answering the legitimate questions I have about a task I was given.

I would be able to do a lot *more* if I could get a straight answer!
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

mumma to KMC

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
I have a few! :)

1. Strangers asking me or my dh if we are done having children. Nonya.

2. When someone asks me a question about myself (how are you? how's school going with the kids?) only to let me say three words and then turn the conversation back to talking about herself. (My mil is good for this one, I can handle it but when she does it to my 7 year old, I want to hit something!)

3. People who pass on the right.

4. Anyone who says to me "You look like you are ready to pop" or "You look like you are ready to drop that baby" when I am pregnant. Bonus points if I don't know you. Super bonus points if it is yelled from across the road by a stranger.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »
When I was pregnant, it was "you must be eager to be done with this pregnancy!" Um, not really, because that entails 1) giving birth and 2) caring for an infant. Fetuses are super easy to take care of - quiet, portable, undemanding...Those were the days.  ;)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

heartmug

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
Same goes for you.  Let me explain:

Had dinner with the in-laws.  It was quiet, not much said.  MIL a few days later said "You didn't talk much and you could have asked me about my latest volunteer project."  I had to point out to her that she also didn't talk much and didn't ask me one.single.thing about myself or what I was up to.

A friend mentioned that she hasn't been invited to my house in awhile.  I didn't point out that last time I was invited to house was on Memorial Day last year and she came to my house sometime last summer.  Maybe I should have pointed that out.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Strangers telling me to smile.

Oh, absolutely. I stopped patronizing a fast food location because an employee used my food as bait to demand a smile. (I told him I left it in my other pants, snagged my food, and left. Grr!)

The "hard-sell" technique. Double grr!

The condescending "little lady" treatment. Tripe GRR!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »
"Have you lost weight?"

Particularly grating when I haven't lost weight and they are just trying to say something complimentary. And when they follow up with "well, you look good" once I say I haven't. Why not just tell me I look good in the first place? Is losing weight the only possible way I could look good? Why are you scrutinizing me for signs of weight loss anyway?
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

MrTango

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »
Unwanted touch, especially hugs and/or putting their hand on my shoulder.  Nothing ruins my mood faster than someone invading my personal space.