Author Topic: You Must Reproduce for Your Country!!!  (Read 9294 times)

Janice

Re: You Must Reproduce for Your Country!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
I would have reported her to management, but it's a very small store and she *is* the management/owner. So the best I can do is never patronize her store again, and tell everyone why.  ::)

Do any of you find that because of the complete 'space cadet-ness' of the woman spouting this garbage, that it loses a portion of its sting?

E-Hell, yes! I have to say in spite of the truly odious attitudes behind the comments, I was repressing giggles afterwards about how bizarre it was, and DH found it hilarious that this happened to me. Who says this to customers? Well, Store Lady does, I guess...

Library Dragon

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
This is where review sites can be important.  You don't have to go into details, but if you opt not to shop there again explain that the owner/manager began lecturing you on your personal life.  That would keep me away.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
This is where review sites can be important.  You don't have to go into details, but if you opt not to shop there again explain that the owner/manager began lecturing you on your personal life.  That would keep me away.

I was in the middle of typing this, but got distracted and by the time I returned to my post, you'd written this.

I would definitely write a review on Yelp and every other review site you can find.  That is what they are for, and so long as the review remains factual, it would be an appropriate use of the tool.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I have had this happen to me, too - white woman in the South, apparently of at least moderate means (clean, decent clothes, buying not bare necessity foods), in the grocery store. Multiple times.

I love making their heads spin when I say "my wife and I are saving up for it! Maybe next year!". (not that I call DP my wife in ANY other context - but in that one, it just makes the point).

BeagleMommy

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
I love how she tried to justify her point and "in her day" there were no infertility problems.  Really?  Maybe it just wasn't talked about amongst strangers.  Hmmm?  That's a strong possibility.

Minmom3

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »

I agree.  Yelp/everything else it!!  She said the words publicly, let her pay that price in public opinion and disapproval.  Well written commentary can make a world of difference to a small business.  Peer pressure is not always a bad thing.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 02:20:31 PM »
She is a racist and a busybody.  Yeah, management should be called.  She doesn't know what crayola color your spouse is and it is so far out of line to have this discussion with anyone, let alone a stranger in a store!  I met this woman's sister at a bus stop a few years ago.  She walks up to me, glaring at a woman and her kids of 2 different races.  The woman, who I have never seen before, proceeds to spout to me "Isn't that disgusting?  Why can't the fuschia people stay with their own type?  It is destroying this country."  While she was tirading at me (and I know darn well the poor woman with the kids heard her) I reached into my purse, pulled out my wallet and silently showed her a picture of the most beautiful 2 different race child and quietly said "This is my child."  She got all flustered and walked away muttering.  I don't think my BF would mind me using her DD's pic to put that lady in place!  >:D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
I love making their heads spin when I say "my wife and I are saving up for it! Maybe next year!". (not that I call DP my wife in ANY other context - but in that one, it just makes the point).
Hee hee ;D

You're ba-a-ad, Rebecca.  I like that >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Marcia

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
???  I'm sorry that you had to even reply to this woman. 

When I read your post I hearing a certain German dictator's voice going through my mind.  In my 20th century History classes when we studied WWII, we read that he encouraged German women to "reproduce for the fatherland".  Yipes!!

That's what I was thinking, too.  Yikes! about that woman you encountered.  You know, I have kids, love kids, etc., but I've never, ever understood why some people get so bothered by women who don't want kids. I really don't understand it. Sorry you had to deal with this person.

MrTango

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
If she's an employee of the store, I would speak with a manager and let them know that their employee's racist, xenophobic remarks have cost them this sale and any future business I would have given the store.

If she's the owner of the store, I would tell her directly.  In addition, if she's the owner of the store, I would post reviews detailing what she said.

lisat

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
I would have pointed out to her that way back then when she was a child-large families were the norm because there was no birth control. I am 63 and remeber kids being suprised that there were only 4 of us girls. The rest of her spiel was so way out of line I would not have been very polite (if I were younger). My daughters are child free by choise and I am fine with that. I always told them that they didn't have to get married or reproduce if they didn't want to. They like kids-they just don't want them.

elicat

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
This is a good article: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/a-few-things-you-shouldnt-say-to-a-childless-woman-20130503-2iyj5.html . I got it from (Oo, I just used a rude phrase that the moderators won't be happy about. ) Parents FB page. (Oo, I just used a rude phrase that the moderators won't be happy about. ) Parents is a website that talks about parents who grossly overshare on FB (e.g., posting disgusting pictures of their kids or their kids' doings).
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
I love how she tried to justify her point and "in her day" there were no infertility problems.  Really?  Maybe it just wasn't talked about amongst strangers.  Hmmm?  That's a strong possibility.

I know of several couples OLD enough to be of that previous generation (people who would have been reproducing before 1965, when I was eight) that did NOT have children of their own.  One couple ended up raising a child or two of relatives (whether the bio-parent was unwed & gave up the child or died was NOT one that I asked about when the child's aunt-by-birth & adoptive mother was talking about them).  The others got involved in the lives of their nieces, nephews, and even their first cousin's children, depending on how close everyone lived.  But it wasn't like they went around in an orange tshirt with "Woe is me, for I am a barren stock" printed on it to let EVERYONE know that they were childless. 

And the store owner might have been oblivious enough to have needed all the childless people to be wearing an identifier to realize that they exist (and have always existed).  They just don't leave any direct descendants - which may happened even to people who have children, if their children die young through disease or disaster or leave no descendants for other reasons (celibate for religious reasons; disease takes them as an adult; or even a young woman coming of reproductive age after a war or something has taken the number of eligible men down significantly lower than the number of eligible women - as has happened after any number of wars).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Minmom3

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
clipped

even a young woman coming of reproductive age after a war or something has taken the number of eligible men down significantly lower than the number of eligible women - as has happened after any number of wars).

A friend's mother was born in Shanghai in 1920/25, and spent WWII in Australia, having caught the Very Last boat Standard Oil sent to China to pick up employees and evacuate them.  They didn't get any further than Australia.  She went the rest of the way 'home' to England after the war, and met her husband there.  She told me one time that of the young men her age she knew at the start of the war - NOT ONE survived the war.  Not one man her age lived through it.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

katiescarlett

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »
Also a child free person who can't have kids.  I also do not particularly want them.  I adore being an auntie, though!  Yikes, though!  I have never had an encounter like that!  Usually telling them I can't have children suffices.