A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Opinions on school uniforms

<< < (16/25) > >>

scotcat60:
I had a school uniform at secondary school in the UK, and it was just  an accepted part of the deal. I found that it was a leveller, or maybe I was just not so observant, and it did not worry me that one girl wore a uniform that was in better condition that anothers.  When we were allowed to wear "a suitable top" with our school skirt in the 6th form, then you would see a more marked change between the girls in the quality of the clothes they wore. With todays insistance on labels and designer gear, that would be even worse. No one remarked on it then, 1964-1970, as they do today.

After I left, the uniform changed, and the rule seemed to be simply wear a blue blouse navy skirt, and navy cardigan, but there were no rules about the style. It wasn't uniform in any sense of the word. Now it has been changed to blue blouses with navy trousers, or skirts, and a sweat shirt with the school badge and the girls look very nice.

My main beef with school uniforms is the colours some schools wear.  Unless there is a second hand garment going via schemes run by the school ( and they did not exist in my day) few places other than the official school outifitters sell blazers in scarlet, royal blue or green. A friends son wore a bright green blazer for the first 5 years of his school career, then the 6th formers wore black blazers. By the end of the 5th year the green blazer was very worn, but friend made her lad nurse it along until she could buy him an M&S blazer for much less than the cost of the school outfitters.

You can express creativity in other ways than dress. And besides, without things like school unifrom, what have you got to rebel against?

At an old girls reunion I met a lady who was at school in the 1950s. Her mother bought a blouse from the school outfitters, and the assistant recommended one with room for growth. She said it had so much room that she wore it as a maternity smock when she was pregnant with her son.

Piratelvr1121:

--- Quote from: scotcat60 on May 06, 2013, 07:19:58 AM ---
You can express creativity in other ways than dress. And besides, without things like school unifrom, what have you got to rebel against?

--- End quote ---

Like Luna Lovegood and her radish earrings and butterbeer cork necklace. :) Not having any personal experience with school uniforms, I thought of Hogwart's uniforms and how there's little differentiation beyond house colors.  And other than the Slytherins like Malfoy, most people didn't think twice that the Weasley's often had hand-me-down robes and secondhand books. 

Heehee...until poor Ron showed up in his dress robes at the Yule ball, but I think that really bothered him most as few others seemed to really care. 

sunnygirl:
I had the most horrible brown and yellow school uniform, complete with blouse and tie. Most school uniforms in London nowadays seem to be polo shirts and sweatshirts, which look a lot more comfy.

Specky:
We all wore blue jeans (HS in the 70s).  Only Levis were available, so a pretty level playing field.

jaxsue:
I like uniforms. DS #2's elementary school tried to do the uniform thing once. Since it was voluntary, about 1/3 of the kids participated. As you can imagine, it fizzled out pretty quickly. Too bad, IMO. He attended private jr. high, and had to wear a uniform every day. It was great! Affordable, easy to pick out clothes for the day.

When I was in N. Ireland, I noticed that the public school kids wore uniforms; both genders wore blazers/ties. At the end of school each day you'd see them loosening their ties and untucking their shirts. It was like watching a BBC show!  :) Interesting thing is, I saw lots of personality coming through even though the kids were wearing identical clothes. You don't need bling to be yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version