Author Topic: Opinions on school uniforms  (Read 7265 times)

Katana_Geldar

Opinions on school uniforms
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:42:12 PM »
I'd like to know the opinions of EHellers on school uniforms. I'm in Australia and I'm in favoured them. One advantage is they make kids easily identifiable when not at school and another is at it equalises all students, they don't have to worry about fashions and trends and neither do parents.

Thoughts anyone?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Opinions on school uniforms
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »
I think it depends on the culture of the community. If one starts in kindergarten with uniforms, then it is the norm, and easier for families to buy the uniforms rather than a wardrobe of other school clothes. Only private schools have uniforms in my community.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
I'm in Australia too, and I love uniforms.

As OP mentioned, it saves having to keep up with the latest fashions, equalises kids etc. Also saves having to decide what to wear each day. It also means there are at least a few things in their kids' wardrobes that parents will get value for money on, as they're worn constantly.

If the outfits I see the kids, particularly the high school girls, wearing on free dress days are indicative of what their choices would be each day if uniforms weren't compulsory, then l am 1000000% glad free dress isn't everyday.  :o

I recently applied for a job where I was informed a uniform was supplied  - very nice mix of corporate skirts, pants, blouses.  I loved the idea, as I hate deciding on outfits each day.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
We didn't have school uniforms until I was in High School but I like the idea.

Uniforms may be expensive to buy but they do eliminate  a lot of angst and disruption both at home and in the classroom.  They can also give students a sense of unity and school spirit. 

Lindee

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »
I always wore a uniform and so did my children but my younger sister had a year where they tried a non uniform policy for 6th formers (17 year olds) and she said it was a nightmare. Female Dog comments from the richer students if you wore an outfit too often, having to spend her limited clothes budget on school suitable clothes that she wouldn't chose to wear outside (length and style restrictions) the daily decision on what to wear. I disliked my uniform from the 60's in the UK, shirt and tie, ghastly bottle green tights and that stupid hat but at least everyone else was wearing it and I think my children's school in Australia, school logo polo shirt, navy slacks/trackpants or skirt and sweat shirt got it pretty right for comfort, cost and smartness.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
As a kid who constantly got bullied about my wardrobe growing up (K-Mart Kid was an insult I heard often even though I didn't have a single article of clothing from there) I often begged my parents to enroll me in one of the parochial schools.  I loved the idea of  going to a private school with the uniforms and everyone wearing the same thing. 

My mother liked to dress me like a mini 40 year old. Basically like her.  Add in a short hairstyle that was very popular amongst 40 year old women in the  90's and I got teased a LOT for my style in middle school. 

But they wouldn't.  Character building, or something. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
I didn't have to wear a uniform (only private school kids did), and wished I had!  I hated the whole clothing thing, trying to understand fashion, the treatment kids got from other kids, etc.  Of course, I've heard people say that since they go to a school with uniforms, kids have to find another way to choose who the fashionable kids are and who aren't, so they'll go with who pays their tuition versus who is there on a scholarship/voucher (if it's private school) or what-not.  But I guess kids left to their own devices in large groups always try to find a way of sorting themselves into groups/cliques.  I like the look of uniforms in general, too, although my neighbor went to a private school with a uniform that was just boring and not very cute or flattering at all, poor thing.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »
I went to both public schools and Catholic schools growing up in the US. No uniform in the public schools, uniforms in the Catholic schools.

I liked the uniform. Easy and simple to get dressed in the morning. No one was judged by their clothing. And in the long run, it's probably cheaper, as you don't need nearly as much clothing. I think I had one jumper and five shirts in high school--that's all I wore for two years. Plus so many pairs of navy blue knee socks that they didn't all wear out until after I graduated college.

There's nothing wrong with wearing your own clothes to school. But uniforms can remove some of the status of the students and level the playing field a little.

There's also the psychological aspects of a uniform. You put a uniform on to do a certain job. For students, the uniform means that they are there to learn. You are part of a group, all doing the same thing. It can help bonding in some ways.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
I didn't have to wear a uniform (only private school kids did), and wished I had!  I hated the whole clothing thing, trying to understand fashion, the treatment kids got from other kids, etc.  Of course, I've heard people say that since they go to a school with uniforms, kids have to find another way to choose who the fashionable kids are and who aren't, so they'll go with who pays their tuition versus who is there on a scholarship/voucher (if it's private school) or what-not.  But I guess kids left to their own devices in large groups always try to find a way of sorting themselves into groups/cliques.  I like the look of uniforms in general, too, although my neighbor went to a private school with a uniform that was just boring and not very cute or flattering at all, poor thing.

Even in Catholic school, with the nuns breathing down our backs, people found ways to differentiate. Different hair styles. Colored ribbons. How they wore their name tags. Folding down the tops of their socks.

You'd be surprised at how kids can alter a seemingly identical uniform.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:34:19 PM »
As somebody who has taught with and without them - emphayic yes. I haye having to deal with shirts imploring society to "Free Boosie" or homemade RIP gear yhay may or may not memorialize a gang member. That says nothing of the MILF sweatshirt, cleavage to the belt line, teasing the kids who can't afford brand name clothes ...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
  In NYC, uniforms are becoming more common.  They're often simple things like polo shirts in a specific color and chinos or navy slacks but they do help students focus on their work instead of obvious status symbols. 

Yes, there are always ways the 'cool kids' will differentiate themselves but uniforms go a long way towards leveling the field.     

Iris

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:17 PM »
I think they work well for the kids. Sometimes it gets a bit OTT if I'm honest, and I don't agree with all aspects of the uniform policy at my current school, but it's chosen by the parents so I guess that's what they want.

Although it has led to some interesting conversations with kids; a lot of them genuinely don't understand the concept that I have 'school clothes' just like they do even though it's not actually a uniform as such.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Nibsey

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »
I like the idea, in theory.

But in practice I still get nightmares over ironing the god awful pleats on my skirt. I also didn't particularly enjoy the nickname of Greenfly being shouted down the street at students of my school due to the all green uniform.  ::)
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

SiotehCat

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
I do not like school uniforms.

My DS went to an elementary school for two years that had uniforms. It was from Pre K-1st grade, so he was still quite young. It was fine then. Now that he is much older, I would not be okay with school uniforms.

I don't think it gives kids a chance to have their own style and personality.

Jones

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
I am against them too. For one thing, I want my kids to be individuals with the ability to dress themselves within rules (certain hemline lengths, etc.) but still be true to their own choices. I expect someday they'll work for an employer like mine, who says employees must buy their own clothes but they must fit these parameters. If they work for a place that requires uniforms, then coolio, but at least they'll have some practice picking and wearing appropriate clothing day after day, mixing and matching in different combos, and (eventually--high school) budgeting their clothing purchase.

For another, the uniforms sold in my area--private school only--are wildly expensive for my income level. Two uniforms cost the equivalent of what I spend at yard sales/consignment for a week of clothing. I expect my kids will want something nicer as they get older, but for now if I can buy something that can be worn for multiple uses for less than a one-use-only set of clothing, I certainly will. I also would prefer to not have to wash two uniforms twice a week and have to iron them, etc. as well.