Author Topic: Opinions on school uniforms  (Read 12132 times)

CakeEater

Re: Opinions on school uniforms
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
I must ask, if kids are wearing a uniform, then have to change clothes in the afternoon, doesn't that double the amount of laundry done in a week? Or do most uniformed students leave their uniform on after school?

Some do. Some wear their after school clothes for a couple of days in a row. Since they're not on all day, they don't get as dirty.

CakeEater

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
When DS2 started high school he opted to go to a boarding school about 45 minutes from our city.  One reason I was surprised was that he chose to go to a high school that required young men to wear dress slacks, white shirt, tie, dress shoes, and blazer most of the year.  He went from kahkis and polo shirts to a more dressy uniform. 

His personal style was and is jeans and black t-shirts with a super hero/game logo on it.  He explained that that he liked the more serious look during his school hours.

My highschool uniform wasn't the most attractive or fashionable outfit - but I was proud to wear it. I liked the feeling of looking formal at school.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
I must ask, if kids are wearing a uniform, then have to change clothes in the afternoon, doesn't that double the amount of laundry done in a week? Or do most uniformed students leave their uniform on after school?

It depends, particularly if you pick up kids after school and then go out. But school uniforms usually survive more than one wear during the week anyway, they're meant to last years and years so the fabric is rather hardy. I used to have three school dresses for summer, jumper, blazer and hat as well as pinafore for winter and a number of white blouses to wear under it.

IMHO, a uniform is much easier to police than some sort of dress code. And if you weren't in uniform they usually had spares in the office, particularly for the girls in high school.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
DS's high school has a very strict dress code, and lovely XXXL orange t-shirts and grey sweatpants students must wear (over their clothes) if they break the code. It usually only happens once.

katycoo

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
Growing up, my sisters and I were made to change into play clothes after school or church regardless. I don't think a uniform would have made a difference.

IME after school clothes would get several wears before washing as sitting around doing homework and watching telly didn't dirty them up much.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »

My older DS changes from his school uniform to his part time job uniform.  ;D

Seriously though, sometimes my kids change, sometimes they don't. I never really used to I don't think. It just depends on their/my mood at the time really.  When I/they do change, the home clothes are worn for such a short period of time, that they generally don't require washing each time they're worn. 

As for the uniforms, only the shirts/blouses require washing after each wear. The tunics and shorts get washed once a week (my boys have 2-3 pairs of school shorts).

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »

Some do. Some wear their after school clothes for a couple of days in a row. Since they're not on all day, they don't get as dirty.

My kids left their uniforms on unless we were going somewhere that required a change of clothes like tennis, scouts, or a nice dinner out. And really even if they hadn't been in a uniform all of those situations would have required them to change clothes.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
DS wears a uniform for Scouts, but not for school.

We spend about $250 a year on clothes for him, 4-5 pairs of jeans, khaki pants, black pants, a few polos, t-shirts and a few button down shirts. The only reason we have to buy new clothes each year is he has grown 6 inches in two years.
I'm in awe. DS seldom wears jeans so we buy about 6-8 pairs of shorts per year, 2 pair of jeans, 2 pairs of khakis, and probably a dozen of various shirt styles. His shorts average $25-30 each and probably $35 for his jeans so I've blown your budget before I've even thought about khakis or shirts.

Library Dragon

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »

DS2 had gym at the end of the day and left school in his shorts and tshirt.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

paintpots

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2013, 06:39:59 AM »
I spent my school career in school uniforms. I loved them. Own clothes day was torture for my sartorially challenged self, and I would be in tears the night before. Sixth form (ages 16-18), we were allowed to wear our own clothes, but with sufficient restrictions that most people just wore jeans + hoodies, so less of a catwalk than the odd day further down the school. I don't really remember labels being important  - but it was a slightly funny school in many respects.

I did have a lot of different uniforms (all girls' school) though:

Age 4-8: winter -  kilt, shirt, jumper & blazer, white socks & navy shoes; summer - flowery dress & royal blue cardigan (which I loved)
Age 8-11: shirt, tunic (knee length sleevless dress made out of a thick material and a zip down the front), belt (with a zip in it!), navy tights; summer - stripy dress with an integral waist belt & navy cardigan. (Plus blazer, plus prescribed school backpack, plus prescribed school art overalls, plus prescribed school gym kit).
Age 11-13: pencil skirt, shirt, navy cardigan/v-necked jumper. All the girls took up the hems of their skirts, so the teachers used to come around with a ruler pretty regularly. (Plus lab coat and different prescribed school gym kit); summer - the most horrific drop waisted, sack like, see-through-when-wet blue and white striped monstrosity of a dress. Universally loathed.
Age 13-15: Because skirt length issues above, introduction of a knee length box-pleated (and therefore v. challenging to hem up - although most managed at least a couple of rolls at the waist) skirt and blue polo shirt and sweater jumper. Generally disliked. Fortunately, they decided to get rid of the monstrous-summer-uniform-from-hell.

I have an elder sister, so ended up wearing mostly hand-me-downs as I went through the school, and my mum generally bought bigger than needed so the only things that needed updating were shirts. The only problem was the hockey skirt, which became mandatory when I turned 11. They were so overpriced (~40, and this was in the mid-1990s), that my mum refused to buy more than one - our age gap just worked out so that we could get away with this - the only problem being that once puberty kicked in I grew a good two inches taller than my sister. So what was a decent length hockey skirt on her was positively indecent on me. I remember badminton lessons in the local boys' school being a particularly uncomfortable experience - although the incentive not to have to bend down did encourage me to keep the shuttlecock in the air. Which is a good thing I suppose.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »

We spend about $250 a year on clothes for him, 4-5 pairs of jeans, khaki pants, black pants, a few polos, t-shirts and a few button down shirts. The only reason we have to buy new clothes each year is he has grown 6 inches in two years.
I'm in awe. DS seldom wears jeans so we buy about 6-8 pairs of shorts per year, 2 pair of jeans, 2 pairs of khakis, and probably a dozen of various shirt styles. His shorts average $25-30 each and probably $35 for his jeans so I've blown your budget before I've even thought about khakis or shirts.

We buy nearly all of his jeans and pants at Target. We usually get name brand pants/jeans on sale at $20 a pair, sometimes less. He is hard to buy for them, since he is a 30" waist and a 36" inseam! Polos and shirts are $10 each. He buys himself more t-shirts out of his allowance during the year.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
I was very glad none of my schools had uniforms.  I was very nerdy, and loved being able to be creative with my own style -- t-shirts with science puns, band shirts, hippie dresses from vintage shops. 

I dressed myself for much cheaper than the uniforms of the other local school cost, and I found clothing was a good conversation starter and a great way to make friends.  I could see right away who the unfashionable kids were, and knew that they'd likely be the type of people who I'd get along with.  They're the ones who knew the bands I liked, or who laughed at my silly math or Trek shirts.

I was never good at conforming, though I was an academic overachiever, I imagine I'd have gotten in a lot of trouble if I'd gone to a uniformed school -- there's no way I could have resisted the temptation to push the boundaries of the uniform.

Uniforms aren't equalizers.  There's no one style that suits everyone's body type.  There's no one colour that looks good on everyone (I'm a redhead -- trust me, I know!  White is the worst).  Two kids could have completely different uniforms, if one has a great budget and can find the newest, best-fitting clothes, and the other has to deal with hand-me-downs.  So I don't see a positive side to them.

Awestruck Shmuck

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2013, 03:11:46 AM »
I have experienced three (very) different school uniform policies -

First there was the 'regular' school uniform (year 7 & 8 - aged 13) that seems so common in australia:
Summer = flimsy, fairly shapeless/thin dress, that did not allow for my decidedly 'womanly' figure at 13
Winter = shirt & skirt, jumper, blazer (all optional, we could wear band/sports team hoodies if they had the school logo)

Peer influence dictated that skirts had to be fairly short, or rolled at the top, and shirt un-tucked. Others in my grade wore skirts long, jumper & blazer, but it depended which of the distinct groups you belonged to.

Then there was the ultra conservative private school (part of year 8) - everything was purchased through the uniform shop - even the hair ties and ribbons. Shoes were the only thing we could by externally, although they had two approved styles. For various reasons, I didn't last long there - uniforms were the LEAST of my worries)

After that, I went to a steiner school - where for years 8 & 9, we had to wear a white shirt/top and blue bottoms. Fairly flexible, natural fibres were encouraged! That was a pretty obvious divider in terms of brand that were worn, but as long as it was a surf brand no one cared *which* surf brand!

For year 10, we wore whatever we liked, that fit in the free-dress guidelines, but I hated that!! My parents were more interested in spending money on music/dance/sports for us kids, and didn't understand that I felt sadly, devastatingly left out because I didn't have the sass&bide jeans that one group deemed the IN thing, or the nautica jacket that the other crowd all wore!! (it was a small grade)

My parents then gave me the option to go back to the first, public school - as the steiner school was a long daily trip (1.5hrs each way) and I suppose I was showing signs of rebellion, so they thought I'd be better off closer to home.

That didn't help - I shuddered reading about the kids being busted smoking and wagging, that was me - but we used to switch school jumpers, scarves and jackets with friends from other schools when we were out and about -  so people often didn't know which school we were actually from. But we copped it anyway. I remember being called a 'dirty little rhymes-with-bore ' by a woman that decided to police our smoking (she came way out of her way to rouse on us - and we were very careful to be far enough away not to impact on our surrounds).

I think uniforms are great now though, I feel a sense of pride when I put my work shirts or jacket on. I'm working for a company i'm proud of - and with people I respect - so I don't mind. It also makes my mornings easier - chuck on a shirt, jeans and work boots and I'm done!!

If other jobs i've had, had had uniforms (surely theres a better way to word that!!), I would have resented it for sure!!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »

We buy nearly all of his jeans and pants at Target. We usually get name brand pants/jeans on sale at $20 a pair, sometimes less. He is hard to buy for them, since he is a 30" waist and a 36" inseam! Polos and shirts are $10 each. He buys himself more t-shirts out of his allowance during the year.

Wow, the things I have to look forward to!  My kids are all little (6 and under), so they all need new clothes every year, but I only have to *buy* new clothes for the oldest.  I usually  buy everything at the consignment shop.  I spend about $80-120 for about 8 outfits and pjs, depending a bit on what I need and the season (and my mom does sometimes buy them some new clothes because she likes to).  I've already started to notice things getting more expensive as we go up in size, and it looks like middle school/high school sizes are going to cost a lot!  Ack!  We homeschool, so uniforms won't really be an option.  Although it would be pretty funny to actually make them wear uniforms for homeschool, so that they feel "formal clothes on, time to pay attention."  Would be even more fun for them to be out in uniform, and have somebody ask what school they go to, and tell them we homeschool.  Talk about making peoples' brains hurt.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »
... In fact, faded and worn in was the trend.  ...

My MIL talked about babying her pants through her senior year.  Worn pants were status because you weren't a newbie, and also a sign of a senior.  Her pants were really worn at the crease, but she was really gentle with them because otherwise her mother would *gasp* but her a new and toss the old.