Author Topic: Rosacea- what works for I you?  (Read 1707 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Rosacea- what works for I you?
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »
***i am not asking for medical advice- I am under the care of a physician for my Rosacea***

...however, nothing is really working, we have exhausted many options, and the next step would be laser treatments, which sounds AWFUL to me.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any non- medical solutions that have worked for them to improve their Rosacea?

My plan is to gather info on alternative (ie non-medical) options and ask the doctor about the when I go in June. He's a pretty cool guy and open to suggestions. The first time I saw him he read all the labels on my skin care products and even opened my face cream to smell it because I said it smelled good! Lol

The idea of someone lasering my face is just.....no.....

ETA: just noticed the autocorrect fail in the thread title! LOL
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:22:59 AM by joraemi »

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Goodnight Kiwi

• Formerly Lucylou
Re: Rosacea- what works for I you?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 01:09:09 AM »
A make-up artist I know (who doesn't sell product but has been "in the biz" for some years) swears by washing your face with Cetaphil cleanser, and then using Guerlain SOS cream (pricey but nice).  She reckons she used it on a client who had the worst rosacea she had ever seen, and it cleared it up within a matter of weeks.

Good luck!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »
I haven't been to see a dermatologist, but I suspect I have mild rosacea. I sometimes get little bumps on my cheeks (that aren't pimples), and have pretty persistent pinkness right around my nose.

One thing that I think actually made it a lot better is consistently using the Oil Cleansing Method. You basically use a blend of castor oil and a moisturizing oil (I use sweet almond) to cleanse your face. The one thing that I think might not be super awesome for rosacea is that part of the method is to cover your face with a hot washcloth to open your pores and sort of steam things off before you use the washcloth to wipe off dirt and excess oil. I think it might be possible to wipe the oil off without that, although I've never tried it.

The immediate advantages of using the OCM, for me, are that it's an incredibly effective makeup remover (which is always good for your skin), and it really keeps my dry and flaky skin well moisturized, which also can't hurt. I have noticed that I have far fewer small bumps on my cheeks than I used to, and the pinkness isn't quite as pink (unless I've just done something that leaves me flushed, like exercise).

I don't know that everyone reacts equally well to plant-based oils, but if it's something your doctor is on board with, it might be worth trying out. My skin really is consistently much happier and better looking when I just avoid soap completely.

For the pinkness that's left, I wear mineral makeup, and use a mint green powder to neutralize it before I put on foundation. It works so well that I frequently get compliments on my "flawless" complexion when I'm wearing makeup.

Library Dragon

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:41:46 AM »
I too have mild rosacea and hyper sensitive skin.  SkinCeuticals Cleanser is good and I swear by the Epidermal Repair moisturizer.  It's expensive.  I will confess that I purchase the professional sized tubes from reliable eBay stores.  Much more budget friendly and you don't have to use much. 

Dermalogica has a green tinted moisturizer that I use on bad flare up days. 

For makeup I like Smasbox's green tinted primer and Physicans Formula green tinted finishing powder.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:18:41 AM »
If anyone has anything I'd love to try it. My nose is just... red. If I use the antibiotic that helps with the redness it gives me horrid cystic acne.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:15:55 AM »
For a while I had good luck with Lush's coal face soap, but then it stopped working. I do think tea tree oil helps a bit, I've read that using a sulphur soap works but it was too harsh for me, this stuff Prosacea does help - http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/prosacea-rosacea-treatment-homeopathic-topical-gel/ID=prod2162510-product. Taking an omega 3 supplement seems to help sometimes.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »
I've tried it all and the system that has kept my moderate (red cheeks and nose, lots of painful little bumps on my cheeks) rosacea basically gone for the past 18 months is this:

-I wash every day with prescription sulfacetamide cleanser. When I was working and wearing makeup I'd wash twice per day. A bottle costs whatever your generic copay is ($10 for me) and you only need a little per washing so it last for a good 6 months.
-I gently pat my face dry and then, depending on the season, apply 1-3 drops of pure seabuckthorn *seed* oil to my fingers and gently rub it in. You'll find oil derived from both the berries and the seeds, you want the seed oil. It's not cheap, I've paid between $8 and $15 for a little bottle but again, because you're only using a few drops at a time it'll last several months. I didn't have any luck with products containing the oil, it has to be pure oil. Do this before your regular moisturizer and let it absorb for a few minutes before anything else goes on top of it.
-Finally, about once a month or so when my face needs some extra exfoliation, I do the oil cleansing method. I use a combo of 80% olive oil to 20% flax seed oil. I was told to be careful which oils I used because a lot of the more common OCM oils will exacerbate rosacea. You'll want to do a bit of researching on this and consult your dermatologist to see what would work best for you.

Now the only time I have a flare up, and even then it will only consist of maybe one or two bumps, is if I eat spicy foods two or more days in a row. I don't even wear makeup anymore!

Syfygeek

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »
Oh, rosacea, how I hate you!

What has worked for me:
Clindimaycin Lotion- from the doctor
Redness line of makeup from Clinique- cleanser and moisturizer are good, but I adore the makeup.

BUT- best of all- this moisturizer from Walgreens (that's the only place I've found it) Sudden Change Intensive Restoration Daily Moisturizer Cream SPF 15- after a couple of weeks using it, I could go out without makeup and not have the red cheeks of fire. It's about 10 bucks, and I absolutely love it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »
Oh, rosacea, how I hate you!

What has worked for me:
Clindimaycin Lotion- from the doctor
Redness line of makeup from Clinique- cleanser and moisturizer are good, but I adore the makeup.

BUT- best of all- this moisturizer from Walgreens (that's the only place I've found it) Sudden Change Intensive Restoration Daily Moisturizer Cream SPF 15- after a couple of weeks using it, I could go out without makeup and not have the red cheeks of fire. It's about 10 bucks, and I absolutely love it.

I'll have to check that out! One of my triggers has been SPF moisturizer so I haven't been able to use any.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
Only medical treatment have worked for me. I do keep out of the sun- but that is also on medical advice.

Sorry I can't be more help.
NE England

LadyMisha

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
I avoid foods that I know make me turn strawberry.  Especially alcohol!
Kids - the toughest job you'll ever love!

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 02:57:44 PM »
I've been looking into diet, and how it affects one's health for a short time now. I've heard/read of many success stories when people cut out either gluten and/or dairy from their diets when it comes to chronic skin conditions. I *think* rosacea and eczema are the two conditions that can potentially be helped w/diet change, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, something to look into maybe.

Good luck w/whatever you decide to try! :)

Figgie

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Nothing worked for me and the dermatologist told me that he had no more options for me to try.  He suggested Smartcover make-up.  I can blend it to match my skin color and it is the best make-up I've ever had.  It covers up the red beautifully and doesn't get all stuck in my wrinkles.  :)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »
I've been looking into diet, and how it affects one's health for a short time now. I've heard/read of many success stories when people cut out either gluten and/or dairy from their diets when it comes to chronic skin conditions. I *think* rosacea and eczema are the two conditions that can potentially be helped w/diet change, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, something to look into maybe.

As luck (?) would have it, both my son and my husband have just been diagnosed with Celiac and we are going gluten free on Sunday!  LOL  I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the other suggestions from everyone else!  I'm making notes so I can ask the doctor what he thinks. I'm also in search of gluten free cosmetics and skin care at this point so that my hubby won't have fits when he kisses me.  :)

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »

As luck (?) would have it, both my son and my husband have just been diagnosed with Celiac and we are going gluten free on Sunday!  LOL  I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the other suggestions from everyone else!  I'm making notes so I can ask the doctor what he thinks. I'm also in search of gluten free cosmetics and skin care at this point so that my hubby won't have fits when he kisses me.  :)

You know, DH and I went voluntarily grain-free about 18 months ago. I thought it was the lack of sugar and other junk food that had helped my breakouts but it definitely could have been the lack of gluten. Interesting!

Best wishes with all the new tips - I hope you find your "magic cure", too!!