A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

S/O of School Uniforms. Gym Suits

<< < (7/8) > >>

Sedorna:
The only gym uniform I actually remember was the one I wore in High School, which consisted of a pair of navy blue shorts, and a powder blue T-shirt. We also had to wear sneakers and and white (I think) socks, but those were ones of our own choosing. I liked it. It was easy to wear, and actually worked as a gym uniform, unlike some of the ones I've seen here.

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: Sedorna on May 20, 2013, 02:06:02 PM ---The only gym uniform I actually remember was the one I wore in High School, which consisted of a pair of navy blue shorts, and a powder blue T-shirt. We also had to wear sneakers and and white (I think) socks, but those were ones of our own choosing. I liked it. It was easy to wear, and actually worked as a gym uniform, unlike some of the ones I've seen here.

--- End quote ---

As awkward as they look now, one piece gym suits made a certain amount of sense in the 1950s and 1960s. They were modest, neat and lady-like.  The wearer didn't have to worry about a shirt riding up or pulling loose from a pair of shorts.  Believe it or not, they were also considered 'sporty'. The shorts were very much like the 'boy short' popular in swimsuits of the time.  You could also turn up the collar of the shirt to frame your face for a stylish 50s look. That was especially effective if you had a pixie haircut.   

We groused about those suits all the time but they weren't that far from fashions of that era.     

Dawse:
Ah, PE kit, how I do not miss you.

I think my junior school (age 6-11) had a school kit in the school colour (maroon! blech) but I have a feeling most people just wore white t-shirts or polos and whatever coloured shorts. I seem to remember they weren't allowed to have a football team logo on them though.

The first secondary school I attended was pretty simple - black bottoms (shorts or trackies) and then a white polo for indoor like badminton and gymnastics, and a black and white striped rugby top for outdoor things like hockey and football.

But then I moved. Oh, the horribleness of the new PE kit! It was all pretty standard stuff really. White polo shirt. Sweater and trackies with the school logo. Netball skirt. The only problem with it was the colour - it was a really, really horribly unflattering shade of sickly turquoise. Honestly, it could have been much worse - after reading this thread I'm very grateful I didn't have to put up with a gym onesie - but having gone from a fairly relaxed school to one where the PE kit was enforced very strictly, it was a bit of a culture shock. If you 'forgot' your kit, they had a bin bag full of spares for you! In all sizes! (It was at least clean...) One of the few times in my life having disproportionately small feet was actually useful - none of the spare trainers fitted me. Shame.

Ooooh, plus, at my second school they had their own pool. There was no 'school' swimming costume as such, but it was specified it had to be a one piece, plain, in dark blue. Which would have been fine - except finding a plain, navy, one piece swimming costume to fit a thirteen year old seemed to be like trying to find hen's teeth. Fortunately they didn't have spare costumes for people who 'forgot' theirs.

Snowy Owl:

--- Quote from: scotcat60 on May 06, 2013, 07:28:20 AM ---White aertex shirts, navy knickers for gym, bare feet inside. Short navy wrap over skirt for outside, with socks and plimsolls. white or balck Freezing cold in the depth of an English winter, even with ones official school cardigan on top, and especially if you were not picked for the team, and spent most of your time hanging around on the sidelines.

Why don't school offer aerobics, or step classes, exercise classes or yoga? Then kids could do it indoors in the warm. And we were not all able to swarm up ropes or jump over vaulting horses.

--- End quote ---

Almost exactly the same uniform as you but in brown in my case.  We also had a sweatshirt with the school crest on for very cold days but the games mistress didn't believe it was cold enough most of the time so we had to suffer.

This is largely responsible for my long held loathing of physical activity.  For many years I associated exercise with being cold and miserable, having to shower with other people and being the last one picked to be on the team.  I was nearly 30 before I discovered that it could be enjoyable when I got to pick the activity and it could be indoors. 

Venus193:

--- Quote from: Just Lori on May 02, 2013, 06:20:35 PM ---

Our grade school did not have locker rooms, so we had to wear these lovely things underneath our regular school clothes.  The elastic around the legs tended to cut into the flesh of chubby 10-year-olds.

--- End quote ---

Is that a skirt?  My junior high one was the same color but a onesie or what might politely be called a "romper". Since we had no locker rooms we had to wear those with skirts on gym days (2x weekly).  Going to the restroom was a production.

The high school version looked like this but with a longer skirt.  Same color.

One more thing:  We were required to embroider our last names in block letters across the front of the uniform.  Three or four inches high; I forget which.

High school required one semester of swimming for which the suits were supplied.  One-piece without internal brassieres and in a horrible shade of maroon.  Most of them had probably been used for at least three years and the straps were often falling down.

The other day I watched the 1976 version of Carrie and actually envied the gym uniforms in that film:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version