A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

S/O of School Uniforms. Gym Suits

<< < (2/8) > >>

whiskeytangofoxtrot:
If a student didn't bring their own gym clothes, they had to wear a jersey knit zippered onesie, with stripes. Hideous thing.

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: whiskeytangofoxtrot on May 02, 2013, 12:33:55 PM ---If a student didn't bring their own gym clothes, they had to wear a jersey knit zippered onesie, with stripes. Hideous thing.

--- End quote ---

That was the gym uniform my sophmore year!  (10 of 12). Hideous barely covers it - I have a long torso for my height.  The blasted shirt would have come untucked if it hadn't been sewn to the shorts and it was very uncomfortable if I raised my arms too much (seam in a bad location).  I was so glad they changed to shorts and a shirt the next year......

jmarvellous:
What is a "camp shirt"?

We could bring our own clothes for middle and high school as long as they fit requirements. In junior high, it was a thin, dark gray T-shirt with the district logo and a number on it (so you'd pick up the right clothes when they were washed weekly) and short blue shorts with the same number.
Eventually they started phasing in baggier, light gray shorts and shirts, but at first they only had them for the largest kids, so everyone knew they were in XL or larger. They had those same outfits available for everyone who didn't have clothes in HS, too.

More than once, I violated the regular dress code  (ugh, trendy '90s tops were too short) and had to wear light gray the rest of the day.

Ohjustlovely:
The gym uniforms I had in the two middle school and one high school were okay. White camp shirts and separate mid-thigh shorts in the school color. And if you were a transfer student, you could wear a different color. White socks only. And white tennis shoes only.  The "cool" girls wore the stretch shorts. I wasn't cool, I suppose, because I liked my heavy cotton shorts because they were breathble and I didn't sweat as much.  One year we had to wear the shirt that had snaps instead of buttons and that was awful. If you were too strenuous or someone grabbed you, the snaps would come undone! We were on the playing field either playing near or with the boys (co-ed some classes), so maybe it wasn't an accident after all! Anyway, we were later permitted to purchase white t-shirts, and then later on we could get any color shirt, any color shorts, any color tennis shoes. But still white socks. Was told the reason was that color socks would give you an infection if you got a blister or cut. Oh, sure ... And the community shower wouldn't. 

Oh, yeah, we all had to have swimming lessons before we could graduate, and the high school provided rented girls' swimming suits. One-piece black leotard material that would have arm straps falling off the shoulders, had no built-in bra or breast support. And worse, the suits would drag down when they got wet. Looked like they would about to fall off! The swimming classes were co-ed and the boys just loved that. Rather traumatic for most of us.

I don't know why, but the swim team girls got to wear their special suits (like the Olympics), but not us.

Carotte:

--- Quote from: Ohjustlovely on May 02, 2013, 02:36:51 PM ---
Oh, yeah, we all had to have swimming lessons before we could graduate, and the high school provided rented girls' swimming suits. One-piece black leotard material that would have arm straps falling off the shoulders, had no built-in bra or breast support. And worse, the suits would drag down when they got wet. Looked like they would about to fall off! The swimming classes were co-ed and the boys just loved that. Rather traumatic for most of us.

--- End quote ---

Whow, I already didn't really like having swimming in high school because of body image and being a teenager and all that, but at least I could pick my suit!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version