Author Topic: S/O of School Uniforms. Gym Suits  (Read 5591 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
S/O of School Uniforms. Gym Suits
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
What kind did you have? 

The High School version was a horror.  It was one-piece creation that was almost impossible to iron.  The top was cut like a camp shirt.  The bottom consisted of bloomers covered by a pleated skirt.  Because the thing was light yellow, it had to be laundered fairly often.  Because it was a fairly heavy cotton, it had to be ironed.  I hated that thing. 

Still, in a way I was lucky.  The year I started, the code had been changed and girls could wear ordinary sneakers.  Up to that point, they had to wear hideous tan high-tops that looked corrective. 

College was a great relief.  The gym outfits there were navy Bermuda shorts worn with ordinary sneakers, navy knee socks and a short-sleeved sweatshirt with the College seal.  You could actually wear the outfit on the street without looking awful. 

Of course, in College we weren't allowed to wear trousers of any kind unless we were going to be actively involved in athletics.  For boarding students, that included weekends.  Some of us kept jeans at the homes of friendly day students. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O of School Uniforms. Gym Suits
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »
We were required to bring our own, which consisted of a white t-shirt with our name on it (usually iron-on letters or permanent marker) and shorts in one of the school colors (red and black) also with our name marked on it. It definitely sounds better than bloomers! But there was definitely an "in" type of shorts, Umbros, with everything else being kind of sniffed at, especially in junior high. In high school people didn't care as much. Shoes could be any sneakers that didn't have a black sole. (Theoretically, these were to be shoes you wore only for gym. In practice, this wasn't really enforced after elementary.)

ETA: Also, if you forgot your gym clothes in jr. high, you had to do a "seal walk" back and forth across the gym floor, which is walking with your hands while dragging the rest of your body behind you. It effectively ruined your outfit, as the floors were filthy.

Meanwhile, your gym clothes got rank pretty quickly if you didn't have laundry facilities at home.

In college there were no gym uniforms, nor were we required to take PE at all. I did take one PE class as an elective, and we wore pretty much whatever we wanted, usually a random t-shirt with shorts or sweatpants depending on the weather.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:48:48 AM by Yvaine »

Redwing

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
What kind did you have? 

The High School version was a horror.  It was one-piece creation that was almost impossible to iron.  The top was cut like a camp shirt.  The bottom consisted of bloomers covered by a pleated skirt.  Because the thing was light yellow, it had to be laundered fairly often.  Because it was a fairly heavy cotton, it had to be ironed.  I hated that thing. 

Thipu, we must have gone to high school in the same era.  Mine was the same except it was blue.  Hate that thing with a passion!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
In Eighth grade (1960) our class  was moved to the local High School and we were issued the standard gym suit.  These were perky things with a camp shirt on top and cuffed boy shorts on the bottom.  The color was red.  The almost ball gowns we had to wear in High School was a rude awakening. 

Carotte

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
I never had a sport uniform baring my middle school years in another country (Brazil) where the only requirement was the school polo-shirt or a shirt with the school's name/blazon, available in blue, white and probably red*.
I think the only reason we had those was because two-period sport classes were at a military campground a bit far from the school, so that was a way to have us in school-color for easy identification.
One-period sport classes were at the school and much more lax regarding the polo.

*And that was the only 'uniform' for primary classes, middle school and highschool only had if for sport.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
If a student didn't bring their own gym clothes, they had to wear a jersey knit zippered onesie, with stripes. Hideous thing.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
If a student didn't bring their own gym clothes, they had to wear a jersey knit zippered onesie, with stripes. Hideous thing.

That was the gym uniform my sophmore year!  (10 of 12). Hideous barely covers it - I have a long torso for my height.  The blasted shirt would have come untucked if it hadn't been sewn to the shorts and it was very uncomfortable if I raised my arms too much (seam in a bad location).  I was so glad they changed to shorts and a shirt the next year......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
What is a "camp shirt"?

We could bring our own clothes for middle and high school as long as they fit requirements. In junior high, it was a thin, dark gray T-shirt with the district logo and a number on it (so you'd pick up the right clothes when they were washed weekly) and short blue shorts with the same number.
Eventually they started phasing in baggier, light gray shorts and shirts, but at first they only had them for the largest kids, so everyone knew they were in XL or larger. They had those same outfits available for everyone who didn't have clothes in HS, too.

More than once, I violated the regular dress code  (ugh, trendy '90s tops were too short) and had to wear light gray the rest of the day.

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
The gym uniforms I had in the two middle school and one high school were okay. White camp shirts and separate mid-thigh shorts in the school color. And if you were a transfer student, you could wear a different color. White socks only. And white tennis shoes only.  The "cool" girls wore the stretch shorts. I wasn't cool, I suppose, because I liked my heavy cotton shorts because they were breathble and I didn't sweat as much.  One year we had to wear the shirt that had snaps instead of buttons and that was awful. If you were too strenuous or someone grabbed you, the snaps would come undone! We were on the playing field either playing near or with the boys (co-ed some classes), so maybe it wasn't an accident after all! Anyway, we were later permitted to purchase white t-shirts, and then later on we could get any color shirt, any color shorts, any color tennis shoes. But still white socks. Was told the reason was that color socks would give you an infection if you got a blister or cut. Oh, sure ... And the community shower wouldn't. 

Oh, yeah, we all had to have swimming lessons before we could graduate, and the high school provided rented girls' swimming suits. One-piece black leotard material that would have arm straps falling off the shoulders, had no built-in bra or breast support. And worse, the suits would drag down when they got wet. Looked like they would about to fall off! The swimming classes were co-ed and the boys just loved that. Rather traumatic for most of us.

I don't know why, but the swim team girls got to wear their special suits (like the Olympics), but not us.

Carotte

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »

Oh, yeah, we all had to have swimming lessons before we could graduate, and the high school provided rented girls' swimming suits. One-piece black leotard material that would have arm straps falling off the shoulders, had no built-in bra or breast support. And worse, the suits would drag down when they got wet. Looked like they would about to fall off! The swimming classes were co-ed and the boys just loved that. Rather traumatic for most of us.

Whow, I already didn't really like having swimming in high school because of body image and being a teenager and all that, but at least I could pick my suit!

Hillia

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
In middle school (mid '70s) we wore a one piece polyester thing that was cut straight up and down.  It was navy with white pinstripes and snapped at the shoulder.  The next town over had the same thing but in maroon.  Sears carried them :-). 

In high school I was in marching band, which fulfilled the PE requirement so I was off the hook there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeEater

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
http://www.willapparel.com.au/product_images/g/974/L4888__49663_zoom.jpg

Netball skirt and polo shirt like in this photo, except the skirt was a dark brown, and the polo shirt was yellow. We were allowed to wear bike shorts underneaath, and long as they couldn't be seen when you were standing normally.

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »

That sounds similar to the gym uniform for my high school in the 1970's.  Sadly, it was considered an improvement over the previous version which I wore in junior high:  royal blue cotton that needed ironing, also a one-piece.   Apparently the one-piece design was chosen for girls to prevent one's shirt from accidently flipping up and showing one's bra.

Coley

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
The gym suits in red with white trim could be purchased at the one local department store that stocked them. To hear my mother talk about them, the gym suits were expensive. Girls were required to wear the gym suits starting in 7th grade (junior high) and had to wear them through senior year of high school. For a lot of us, this meant that we wore the same gym suit for 6 years because parents weren't going to buy multiples.

The gym suit itself was a one-piece item mostly constructed of T-shirt like material. It had short sleeves and short legs. There were no zippers, snaps, or buttons to get into the gym suit. Instead, it had an expand-o neck of elastic/polyester. You stretched open the neck band, stepped into the suit, and pulled it up over your torso while putting your arms through the arm holes. It came complete with an elastic waistband. We were required to emblazon our last names on the front of the gym suit in white letters.

This would have been 1979-1985. Boys had no such requirement, and I was definitely bitter about that for the duration.

Library Dragon

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
The gym uniforms I had in the two middle school and one high school were okay. White camp shirts and separate mid-thigh shorts in the school color. And if you were a transfer student, you could wear a different color. White socks only. And white tennis shoes only.  The "cool" girls wore the stretch shorts. I wasn't cool, I suppose, because I liked my heavy cotton shorts because they were breathable and I didn't sweat as much.  One year we had to wear the shirt that had snaps instead of buttons and that was awful. If you were too strenuous or someone grabbed you, the snaps would come undone! We were on the playing field either playing near or with the boys (co-ed some classes), so maybe it wasn't an accident after all! Anyway, we were later permitted to purchase white t-shirts, and then later on we could get any color shirt, any color shorts, any color tennis shoes. But still white socks. Was told the reason was that color socks would give you an infection if you got a blister or cut. Oh, sure ... And the community shower wouldn't. 

This sounds similar to my uniform.  I graduated in S. California in the mid 70s.  I remember one school we would have inspection and if my white shoes were scuffed on top I lost points that were part of my grade.  So of course the "cool girls" would purposely step on others feet as we were shuffling out the door.  So glad when I transferred out. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter