Author Topic: What to do in Charlotte NC?  (Read 1110 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
What to do in Charlotte NC?
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Mods, I put this in this folder because I'm being sent to Charlotte NC for work, but if it's wrong, please move!

So next week Thursday and Friday I am going to Charlotte to do some training for work. My DH has decided to join me since he has tons of use-or-lose time on the books. Since it's attached to a weekend we might stay an extra day for the fun of it. Anyone have any suggestions of fun things to do there? Good restaurants/attractions? Of course I'll Google it, too, but I figured someone here could give me the "insider's scoop" on the best stuff to do!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

mrkitty

Re: What to do in Charlotte NC?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
Hi Sammi!

I live in Charlotte. There isn't a whole terribly lot to do - and I don't know what you LIKE to do...but there are a couple of possibilities. There's the aviation museum next to Charlotte Douglas airport - it has that exhibit on the Miracle Flight (the US Airways one that went down in the Hudson). (I've been wanting to see that one myself).

There's also several museums here. One is very interesting - it's a house from the 1700's in period with docent. I've been to it. It's very interesting.

There's also shopping at South Park Mall - very upscale. Couple of good restaurants around here, too. Oh, and the NASCAR museum next door in Concord if you're into that.

PM me and I can maybe give you more ideas if you're willing to tell me what you're interested in. :)
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

dirce80

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »
I have never been to Charlotte, but I really like Design Sponge's city travel guides. And they have one for Charlotte!: http://www.designsponge.com/2012/09/charlotte-nc-design-guide.html

lecach

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
Our biggest tourist attraction in NC is Concord Mills - it's an outlet mall in Concord off I85 exit 49

The NASCAR hall of fame is in downtown Charlotte. You can go on a tour of the Panthers stadium or go to various museums.

My favorite restaurant is in the artsy area near downtown called NODA. The restaurant is called Cabo Fish Taco. Lots of art galleries around there too.

Also near there is Amelie's french bakery. YUM

Another good restaurant (may have LONG waits) is Cowfish. They have burgers and sushi. It's soooo good!

I live in Concord which is just next to Charlotte. Let me know if you have any questions!

Phonix

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
Hi.

I live near Charlotte. If you are athletic, there is the US National whitewater Center, http://usnwc.org/. It has more than whitewater. There is paddleboarding, easy kayaking and zip lines. If you are downtown, there are several interesting museums, including a craft museum and a decent amount of good restaurants. The South Park Mall is upscale with several good restaurants, shops and an Apple store. You can tell what is dear to my heart! You can PM me for other suggestions.

Oh, UNC has a ropes course and there is a downtown aquatics center that is open to the public. Oh and I have been told that the Segway tour of downtown is a lot of fun.

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »
Hi!  I live in Charlotte just outside the Uptown Loop (I-277).  This time of year we have Carowinds Amusement Park which is on the NC/SC line that is open on weekends right now.  POD with the other posters about the NASCAR Hall of Fame, the Mint Museum, the Harvey Gantt Center.  There are plenty of good restaurants - like Lecach I love Amelies Bakery (which is open  24 hours and not only has great pastries, but great sandwiches!) You may also want to check out the Epicentre which has some pretty good restaurants, but a bowling alley and a movie theater.   
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou