General Etiquette > Life...in general

Holding doors

(1/4) > >>

lynnetteleigh:
I'm not sure if this is a regional thing or if I just didn't notice before....However since being employed in New City I have noticed that the majority of the time when I hold a door for someone they just walk through. Where when someone holds the door for me I will place my hand on the door so they aren't stuck standing there holding the door for me.

While standing there the extra second isn't a big deal this has been throwing me. Since my initial reaction is when the person gets close enough to hold the door for him/herself I start to let go and continue walking. So far I've caught myself before hitting anyone with the door... but depending on my awareness for the day it may happen eventually.

What is everyone else's experience with this? Do you grab the door once you reach it? Or walk through?

And just for reference I am female and have had this happen with men and women.

Only me:
Hi

I've had men open the door for me and I just walk through, as they have indicated I should do. However when we get to the next door, I open it and then wait for them to get ahold of it or let them go through (depends on how cute he is or how old he is).

My roomie has had this happen to him plenty of times with both men, women and children. He'll hold the door open and they'll jsut walk through and say nothing. I used to notice it in the city more but with my town growing like crazy, am starting to see it in the local businesses also.

Onlyme

rose red:
How are they holding the door?  When they open the door and stand behind it like a doorman, I just walk through and say thank you.

If they already walked through and are simply keeping it open for the person behind them, I grab the door.

lynnetteleigh:

--- Quote from: rose red on May 02, 2013, 01:47:32 PM ---How are they holding the door?  When they open the door and stand behind it like a doorman, I just walk through and say thank you.

If they already walked through and are simply keeping it open for the person behind them, I grab the door.

--- End quote ---

I have never stood behind the door. I usually just hold it with one hand after walking through.

sparksals:
Are they butting in front of you when you hold the door?

If someone holds the door, I grab it so they go through first.  I never assume to go before them. They were there first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version