Author Topic: Multitasking?  (Read 4344 times)

oogyda

Multitasking?
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »
While I was getting a pedicure today, a woman came in, selected her color and sat down next to me.  She then opened her McDonald's bag and started eating her lunch.

Am I wrong in thinking one shouldn't? 

From conversation, I know she is not a working woman who was squeezing in the pedicure during her lunch hour, but even if she had been, would that make it okay? 

I often see, and am guilty of, bringing in a cup of coffee or a bottled drink.  Is that just as bad?       
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

heartmug

Re: Multitasking?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »
If the establishment allows it, then I would say not rude.  Sure the smell might make others hungry, but then again people eat on the subway, at the park, etc.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

White Lotus

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
I wouldn't care for the smell, but given the spacing of the pedicure chairs in every salon I've ever been in, I would regard that as my problem -- they are pretty far apart, and it is reasonable to think most people wouldn't mind and might even enjoy the smell.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
The smell of McD's annoys me unless I'm personally eating it, but it smells better than nail polish.  ;D

That said, I think it's probably up to the salon what kind of rules they might want to make about that. It could open the door to people creating messes, etc.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »
I wouldn't be thrilled with it, esp if I were hungry, but whatever the salon is ok with is going to trump what I want, or not.

That being said, my salon is in a teeny strip mall with a DD, and I frequently try and go first thing sat morning for my pedicures. And will sometimes pick up a cup of coffee and donut and eat while I'm getting my pedi. That doens't smell as much as McDonalds, and I try very hard not to make a mess.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
I don't think a pedicure is a place to have a meal.  A drink of something?  Sure, most salons now offer you something (mine offers wine, but I am afraid a glass of that and I will not make wise hair style choices).  She should have eaten it in her car before she came in or gotten something after.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
I don't think a pedicure is a place to have a meal.  A drink of something?  Sure, most salons now offer you something (mine offers wine, but I am afraid a glass of that and I will not make wise hair style choices).  She should have eaten it in her car before she came in or gotten something after.

I agree with this one.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
I know some salons serve a little lunch if you get a service package - maybe a salad w/chicken if you get hair, mani and pedi so I can't say a salon isn't the place for lunch. I guess it it up to each establishment and maybe each nail tech.

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »
I think it depends on the atmosphere of the establishment.

* On one end of the spectrum, you have a spa with a general air of calm quiet relaxation...soft music/please no personal phones, aromatherapy/please no outside scents, etc.
* On the other end of the spectrum, you have more of a rapid service shop...loud chatter among staff, chairs close together, more visual and audio clutter.

The first I would consider a heated lunch to be inappropriate, the second just fine.  KWIM?

magicdomino

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
I've never been in a nail salon, so I don't know, but wouldn't the place already smell like nail polish and remover?  I think I'd rather smell food in a nail salon, than nail polish in a fast food restaurant.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
I think it would be gross to smell nail products and food.  I don't mind one or the other, but not both :P.  I think snack foods might be OK if they don't make a mess, but if everybody start bringing real food, that won't be pleasant.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »

Ha, I want wine at the salon, I'll leave thinking I look like Drew Barrymore.  ;D So what if I get disillusioned when it wears off.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »
but wouldn't the place already smell like nail polish and remover?

Not necessarily.  Mine doesn't at all.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
I think it depends on the atmosphere of the establishment.

* On one end of the spectrum, you have a spa with a general air of calm quiet relaxation...soft music/please no personal phones, aromatherapy/please no outside scents, etc.
* On the other end of the spectrum, you have more of a rapid service shop...loud chatter among staff, chairs close together, more visual and audio clutter.

The first I would consider a heated lunch to be inappropriate, the second just fine.  KWIM?

That's a good point. I get ya.

Personally, i would be completely grossed out. Maybe i am too sensitive, but the idea of feet being played with and food being eaten all together ....eeeuw.  :-X
Something about that is just completely revolting in my mind. But ... it's probably just me and my foot weirdness.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

mrsbrandt

• I can run under a 9 minute mile!!!
    • Brandts Online
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
I think as long as the establishment is okay with it, it's fine. Sometimes a gal needs to multi-task. Maybe she asked if she could eat in there beforehand?

Today I got a Brazilian and went through grad school flashcards, but I was also in a private room and asked my aesthetician first.