Author Topic: Multitasking?  (Read 4371 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: Multitasking?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »
I personally might worry about a sanitation/cleanliness issue.  Such as, what if a french fry drops into my footbath?  And I personally would  not actually eat with my fingers in a salon, due to possibly getting chemicals on the food and then  into my mouth.

But if the salon allows it, and the patron is able to do it without disrupting the work of the salon employee (such as, it would be very rude to eat while you are getting a manicure, but a pedicure is more iffy)  then I think it isn't rude.  Especially in a mall or some such place where there are probably lots of food-related smells.

Drinks are a different issue and I think, as long as they aren't easily spilled, it is fine to bring them in.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 03:45:14 AM »
Something about the idea of food in a salon seems wrong to me, although I can't really say exactly why. Maybe the idea of crumbs everywhere, the smell, people making a mess, smacking, chewing....ew. It's not a cafeteria. It's a place where others may come to relax for a bit.

I guess if you don't like it, you could leave a comment for management. If enough people don't like it, they might implement a rule, such as, "for the comfort of all our guests, please enjoy your food outside before entering the salon."

A drink in an enclosed container strikes me as acceptable and discreet.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 07:54:16 AM »
*sigh* out comes the grouchy 'not in my day' Queenofallthings.

I hate this! Getting a pedicure, for me at least, is not like getting gas. It is not a chore, but a nice relaxing treat. I don't want to smell your food (especially MacDonld's) or hear your loud extended conversation with your doctor about your symptoms.

I long for the 'old days' sometimes, when people were less concerned with the self and their entitlements, and more concerned with civility and community.

ettiquit

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
I personally might worry about a sanitation/cleanliness issue.  Such as, what if a french fry drops into my footbath?  And I personally would  not actually eat with my fingers in a salon, due to possibly getting chemicals on the food and then  into my mouth.

But if the salon allows it, and the patron is able to do it without disrupting the work of the salon employee (such as, it would be very rude to eat while you are getting a manicure, but a pedicure is more iffy)  then I think it isn't rude.  Especially in a mall or some such place where there are probably lots of food-related smells.

Drinks are a different issue and I think, as long as they aren't easily spilled, it is fine to bring them in.

My first thought was that it seemed unsanitary.  Actually, my first thought was "ew".  It does seem rude to me.  A light quick snack might be ok, especially if you have blood sugar issues, and I'd say most beverages would be fine.

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »
I'm going to go with "read the room." I've been in many nail (and hair) establishments that were playing it fast & loose with the word "salon." If this place is located in your local strip mall between the Target & the pet store, I wouldn't blink at someone eating a cheeseburger while they get their toes done (provided it's eaten politely). If it's a higher-end place, with low light and soft music, then I'd say it wouldn't be appropriate.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
I don't think a pedicure is a place to have a meal.  A drink of something?  Sure, most salons now offer you something (mine offers wine, but I am afraid a glass of that and I will not make wise hair style choices).  She should have eaten it in her car before she came in or gotten something after.

Ha, I want wine at the salon, I'll leave thinking I look like Drew Barrymore.  ;D So what if I get disillusioned when it wears off.
[/quote/]

LOL..

Hobish..I have a squeamish reaction to feet to, and an absolute aversion to McDonalds food so that whole experience would be a bit much for me.  But I agree with read the room. 

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
I think the distinctive scent of a salon would not mesh well with the greasy scent of MaccyDs.  Salons have that nail polish/astringent smell, KWIM?  I can't even imagine what the MaccyDs tasted like with that scent in your nose.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
I can see where it would be annoying/gross, but if it's not against the rules and she wasn't doing it with extra obnoxiousness (talking with her mouth full, dropping ketchup everywhere, etc.) then I guess it isn't rude. I don't think I would do it myself, especially with fragrant food such as McDonald's.

I like Raintree's suggestion of making a comment to the management. Maybe, "The other day I noticed a customer eating her lunch in the salon. Is this allowed? It was especially fragrant fast food and it negatively impacted my ability to relax and enjoy my own procedure." It may be allowed now, but if they get enough reasonable complaints they may change the policy; or if it's not allowed, they'll know they need to work on better enforcement procedures.
~Lynn2000

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »
Salons have that nail polish/astringent smell

Like I said earlier, mine doesn't have an overpowering smell like that.  This place does take special care to do some things that I haven't seen in other places in terms of additional cleaning and sanitation procedures, so maybe they have a way to keep the smell out as well.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
I might get flamed for this but I wouldn't actually call it MultiTasking. to me it's more like "look at me, i'm so busy that I don't have time to eat lunch *and* get a pedi so i'm doing them at the same time. oh, and i may whip out my phone at the same time and discuss MyBigProblems cause otherwise i just don't have time".

Unless she has some pressing medical issue, she doesn't have to have a pedicure, or eat McD's. if she really needs to eat, she should eat. if she doesn't have time to do both, then she should choose what's more important to her. like the rest of us do. I *don't* use my commute time to make loud and annoying phone calls, nor would i bring my lunch into a nail salon. Especially  not a McD lunch which smells, and drips and... Personally I wouldn't bring a coffee in either, because I don't want to drink chemical residues that are in the air (bad enough I have to breath 'em), but I think a covered cup of coffee, maybe a small cookie is fine.  A whole meal? seems inappropriate to me

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cb140

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
If the establishment allows it, then I would say not rude.  Sure the smell might make others hungry, but then again people eat on the subway, at the park, etc.

Well, the smell wouldn't make me feel hungry, it would make me feel sick. And I would mind very much indeed. If someone was eating fast food on the subway or at the park, I would immediately move away from them, but not really possible when having a pedicure or treatment. So I think it is quite thoughtless and rude.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
Salons have that nail polish/astringent smell

Like I said earlier, mine doesn't have an overpowering smell like that.  This place does take special care to do some things that I haven't seen in other places in terms of additional cleaning and sanitation procedures, so maybe they have a way to keep the smell out as well.

Is there some kind of scent though?  Even if it smells faintly of lemons from the cleaning supplies, I can't imagine that MaccyDs is a pleasant scent overlaying any other scent.

Maybe my opinion is colored by experience.  I worked in fast food for over a year, so the greasy smell of burgers and french fries is particularly unpleasant at times, and the thought of that smell when I'm having my feet touched seems... I guess the word I'm looking for is "weird".
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

EMuir

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:19 PM »
I don't think it's an issue.  Maybe she finds it relaxing to eat while having her feet done.  I think that really smelly food is an issue anywhere, and messy food is also impolite, but just eating some fries?  I wouldn't have a problem with that.

NyaChan

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
I wouldn't make a habit of it, but if it was a choice between eating there or being miserably hungry when I'm supposed to be relaxing, I'd just grab something to eat really quick during the pedicure.  But then I'm not someone who can skip meals easily.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
If the salon allows it, she can eat while getting a pedicure.  The only things I've ever seen clientele having at most salons I've visited is water, coffee or tea.  I know some very high fashion salons offer customers light snacks such as fruit, cheese or cookies (but usually not while having something done).

Personally, I would have eaten the fast food in my car before I got to the salon.  Like NyaChan, I can't skip meals so I plan my meals accordingly.  I don't know if it's rude per se, but it strikes me as odd.