Author Topic: I'm so proud of her! (What have your kids done recently?)  (Read 2854 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
I'm so proud of her! (What have your kids done recently?)
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
DH and I took the girls to the live butterfly habitat at the museum today.  It's a smallish enclosed path with tons of butterflies which zip around you and sometimes land on your head or your clothes  :) You're not supposed to touch them, so if they land on you you pretty much just take tons of pictures until they decide to fly away.

Well Babybartfast LOVED it, and wanted to stay until a butterfly landed on her.  So we stayed, and stayed and stayed.  She put a finger out close to several butterflies which had landed on the walls and plants, but was really good about not touching them.  She was just sure that if she waited long enough, one of those butterflies would step forward and onto her finger  :)

Enter several groups of schoolchildren.  Including several kids who were cheerfully reaching for butterflies left and right.  (They used to enforce the "no touching" thing a lot better last time I was here - incidentally, the butterflies seem a lot more beat up this time around).  Anyway, when Babybartfast moved away from a butterfly she had been hoping would crawl on her finger, to let some other girls have a turn, one of the girls poked it until it climbed on her hand.  I worried she might have mangled the poor thing's legs, but it looked all right.

I was so proud of Babybartfast!  She didn't throw a tantrum, she just leaned in and whispered to me "That girl is being bad!  She's not supposed to touch unless the butterfly wants to sit on her!"  I'll admit, I was pretty darn tempted to try the same thing, if only to make my little girl happy.  Instead I told her she was so good we were going to get ice cream.  (Which had the added bonus of finally getting us out of the butterfly room . . .)

So yeah, that's my brag for the day.  What have your kids done recently to make you proud?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: I'm so proud of her! (What have your kids done recently?)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »
No real proud moments to speak of recently, I just want to say Yea! for Babybartfast! ;D

Oh, and I really want to go to a museum like that!

heartmug

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:17:09 PM »
I wore a green shirt to a butterfly museum and a lot of them landed on me.

My teen dd, bless her heart, has been looking for a job for about 6 months now.  Has filled out dozens of applications, only 1 interview and no job offers.  But she keeps looking.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
My kids are in a program called AWANA, and at this program they can earn points for attendance, bringing everything they're supposed to (wearing sneakers, their uniform, etc.), and other things.  Then there are four times a year when they get to use their points to buy things at the AWANA store.  And wow, do they ever stock this store!  The program purchases toys, snacks, household items, and all sorts of great stuff.  The kids have a blast.  However, AWANA is split into sections by age (just like Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts), and at the particular location my girls are going to, only the kids my oldest daughter's age and up get to earn points and go to the store.  The younger kids tend to get a small treat almost every day, but they don't get to use points to buy things.

Well, every time that Emily has gotten to go to the AWANA store, she spends almost all her points buying things for her sisters.  The previous time, she bought a small gift for her two youngest sisters, a little snack for herself, and spent almost all her points on a Barbie for her 4-year-old sister, Jenny.  Jenny *loves* it.  This time, she got a stuffed bear for Charlotte, the 2-year-old, a little toy pelican for Megan, the baby, and some snacks for Jenny.  She got a small snack for herself again.  This is very common, she always seems to spend most of her points buying treats for her sisters and gets something small for herself.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:12 PM »
MommyPenguin -- I grew up going to AWANA, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Good for you for raising a DD that uses her points for buying things for others. You've done a good job as a mother. ;D

Proud moment today:

I just got off the phone with DD#1, 3rd year at uni. I was a bit worried about her grades because she constantly complains about studying and doesn't do well on tests. Her finals are next week. She's pulling good solid "B's" all around and 2 might be able to go up to "A's" depending on how she does on her finals.

If that's not enough to be proud of? Most of her friends are done with this semester already (today or tomorrow) and there are a lot of end-of-the-year parties going on this weekend (even in her own dorm room.) DD#1 will be spending the weekend at her cousins home, away from all the parties, so she will have a quiet place to study and won't be tempted to go to all the parties.

Yes. I'm very proud of her for making the right choice. ;D

andi

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
In Boos class (2nd grade) they earn coins for extra good behavior and lose them for incorrect behavior (after warnings). Twice a year the teacher has an auction where they buy prizes (mostly small toys parents donate) with their earned coins.

The last auction was just before Christmas break - Boo came home with a 3 pack of "Hello Kitty" lip gloss for me and a 5 pound tin of butter cookies for the family.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
A couple of years ago a couple sis and BIL went to HS with were killed in an horrific accident. Their three kids were in the car and the older two will face a lifetime of dealing with the injuries.

It is one of those situations that is going to bankrupt a family no matter how much insurance they have. So there were various fundraisers put on by friends to help set up trust funds to help pay for future medical bills (the kids are with family an Aunt and Uncle). Sis and BIL never said anything directly to Loren and Brett about the accident. The kids heard enough from the adults' conversation to get that some kids had been hurt and their parents were trying to help pay the bills. So one night Sis and BIL were going to one of the fundraisers - and Loren and Brett brought out their "saving for something big" piggy banks and gave the money to their parents for the hurt kids.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
A couple of years ago a couple sis and BIL went to HS with were killed in an horrific accident. Their three kids were in the car and the older two will face a lifetime of dealing with the injuries.

It is one of those situations that is going to bankrupt a family no matter how much insurance they have. So there were various fundraisers put on by friends to help set up trust funds to help pay for future medical bills (the kids are with family an Aunt and Uncle). Sis and BIL never said anything directly to Loren and Brett about the accident. The kids heard enough from the adults' conversation to get that some kids had been hurt and their parents were trying to help pay the bills. So one night Sis and BIL were going to one of the fundraisers - and Loren and Brett brought out their "saving for something big" piggy banks and gave the money to their parents for the hurt kids.

My allergies are apparently acting up.  I seem to have suddenly teary eyes. 

Arrynne

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
My 2 year old son has Cerebral Palsy and has some significant delays. This week he picked up my phone and pretended to talk into it, and Siri recognized that he said "Hello, Hello!"  He's also started taking steps while we hold his hands. So proud of my little man.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
To all the posters...your kids are awesome!  My brags are..(deep breath so I don't cry)  My 17 yr old DD, who has spent the better part of the last 2 years in intensive treatment for mental health issues that she still battles, including almost crippling anxiety that caused her to not leave the house got a job!!!  It is part time (4 hr shifts) at a pizza shop, and she has had some panic attacks, but she is making it through.  My 6 year old DD, was picked as Star Student in her class for the week.  One part of it is to get up and talk about your family and show pictures.  DD's dad died suddenly 2 years ago and it is very difficult for her to discuss, but she did it and had a picture of them hung up on the star wall all week and she didn't cry once, but talked about him with love and pride. 

Heartmug..sending good thoughts your DD's way.  My DD got lucky with a referral from a friend, but all her friends are struggling to find jobs for the summer too.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »
My older two boys have really taken well to being acolytes in our church.  (alter servers)  While at other times they can be goofy and immature preteens, when they are up on the altar they are very well behaved and take their duties very seriously. 

My oldest was asked to acolyte on Easter and got to hold one of the two crosses that are carried up to the altar during the procession.  It was a rather heavy cross from what he told me later but he held it and bore it well on his way up.  :) 

The last time they both were acolytes, they were also singing in the choir (children's choir performs with the adults about 1x/month) and they both did a beautiful job of balancing both responsibilities. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

SheltieMom

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:27:17 AM »
My oldest son became the proud father of the most beautiful baby boy you've ever seen last Friday! DS is not really a "baby" person, and assured me that he hasn't held a tiny baby since his sister was born 20 years ago. He loves older kids, and has often joked about letting me keep his kids "until they can throw a ball". He has absolutely amazed me with his confidence and natural ability to care for this little one. He is perfectly at home cuddling him, and even changing diapers and clothes. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. His precious wife had a difficult delivery and some complications afterward, so DS has been doing more of the care of Baby, and it's really been sweet to watch him.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 03:49:21 AM »
This is quite a small one but tonight we were out for a walk and happened to see a kid from our daughters daycare sitting and watching his mom's sport practise. We asked his mom if he could join us in the playground. It was so sweet to see how happy the two children were to see each other and how nicely they played together ( on some gamethat involved a lot of giggling and falling off playground equipment. They are not good friends at the daycare as he is almost a year older and (gasp) a boy. However they had a great time.

I was always socially awkward as a child and it makes me so happy to see my kid playing so wonderfully with a wide  variety of  other kids,

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »
This one happened not really recent, but within the last year and I didn't see it but my priest told me about it after the fact.   My oldest son is in the church youth class that meets in the house next to the church, as does the adult Sunday school I take part of.  This is a nice old house with a big front porch and since I have to drop the youngest off at the daycare in the church before going over to the house, Pirateboy1 usually just heads over to the house on his own.  (he's 12)

There was a homeless man who she (our priest) had given permission to sleep on the porch of this house and a note saying as much.  My oldest son saw the guy on the porch and asked her about him once he got in the house.  It had been a fairly chilly morning and my son asked our priest "Can I bring him a cup of coffee?"  She told him sure, he can offer some to the man, so he did.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

gmama

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 07:26:03 AM »
I love all these stories!  They certainly cheer up my day!

Here's my little brag:  My friend June had given me a toy to give to DS2 (4) that has something to do with a movie he's currently obsessed with.  A couple of days later when we saw June, I prompted DS2 to go up and thank her for the toy. 

He's normally shy with adults and I thought he would just go up and mumble a quiet thank you, but he surprised me by going up to June and very effusively saying, "Oh, that was so VERY nice of you Aunty June for giving me that *toy*!! I really really love it! Thank you so much!!!".  Needless to say even June was pleasantly surprised at his reaction.  We both looked at each other thinking, "wow! Where did all that come from??!".