A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

I'm so proud of her! (What have your kids done recently?)

<< < (2/7) > >>

andi:
In Boos class (2nd grade) they earn coins for extra good behavior and lose them for incorrect behavior (after warnings). Twice a year the teacher has an auction where they buy prizes (mostly small toys parents donate) with their earned coins.

The last auction was just before Christmas break - Boo came home with a 3 pack of "Hello Kitty" lip gloss for me and a 5 pound tin of butter cookies for the family.

kherbert05:
A couple of years ago a couple sis and BIL went to HS with were killed in an horrific accident. Their three kids were in the car and the older two will face a lifetime of dealing with the injuries.

It is one of those situations that is going to bankrupt a family no matter how much insurance they have. So there were various fundraisers put on by friends to help set up trust funds to help pay for future medical bills (the kids are with family an Aunt and Uncle). Sis and BIL never said anything directly to Loren and Brett about the accident. The kids heard enough from the adults' conversation to get that some kids had been hurt and their parents were trying to help pay the bills. So one night Sis and BIL were going to one of the fundraisers - and Loren and Brett brought out their "saving for something big" piggy banks and gave the money to their parents for the hurt kids.

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on May 02, 2013, 09:34:02 PM ---A couple of years ago a couple sis and BIL went to HS with were killed in an horrific accident. Their three kids were in the car and the older two will face a lifetime of dealing with the injuries.

It is one of those situations that is going to bankrupt a family no matter how much insurance they have. So there were various fundraisers put on by friends to help set up trust funds to help pay for future medical bills (the kids are with family an Aunt and Uncle). Sis and BIL never said anything directly to Loren and Brett about the accident. The kids heard enough from the adults' conversation to get that some kids had been hurt and their parents were trying to help pay the bills. So one night Sis and BIL were going to one of the fundraisers - and Loren and Brett brought out their "saving for something big" piggy banks and gave the money to their parents for the hurt kids.

--- End quote ---

My allergies are apparently acting up.  I seem to have suddenly teary eyes. 

Arrynne:
My 2 year old son has Cerebral Palsy and has some significant delays. This week he picked up my phone and pretended to talk into it, and Siri recognized that he said "Hello, Hello!"  He's also started taking steps while we hold his hands. So proud of my little man.

*inviteseller:
To all the posters...your kids are awesome!  My brags are..(deep breath so I don't cry)  My 17 yr old DD, who has spent the better part of the last 2 years in intensive treatment for mental health issues that she still battles, including almost crippling anxiety that caused her to not leave the house got a job!!!  It is part time (4 hr shifts) at a pizza shop, and she has had some panic attacks, but she is making it through.  My 6 year old DD, was picked as Star Student in her class for the week.  One part of it is to get up and talk about your family and show pictures.  DD's dad died suddenly 2 years ago and it is very difficult for her to discuss, but she did it and had a picture of them hung up on the star wall all week and she didn't cry once, but talked about him with love and pride. 

Heartmug..sending good thoughts your DD's way.  My DD got lucky with a referral from a friend, but all her friends are struggling to find jobs for the summer too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version