Author Topic: Cruise Steward Awkwardness S/O B&B Awkwardness  (Read 5441 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Cruise Steward Awkwardness S/O B&B Awkwardness
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
For those who do not like the turn-down service in a hotel or bed & breakfast, what do you do on a cruise ship?

On both of my cruises, the steward was in the room at least three times a day. Room cleaning, fresh towels, and ice in the morning, ice again in the afternoon and fresh towels if needed, then turn down service in the evening. We only keep a do not disturb on the door when we are in the room and not expecting room service, so I am curious what other cruisers do.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Cruise Steward Awkwardness S/O B&B Awkwardness
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
When I stay in a hotel I hang the "Do not disturb" sign on the door the whole time because I don't like or need housekeeping to come in during my stay. On a ship though, I find the rooms to be very inconvenient and hard to keep picked up and neat, so I'm grateful for the almost constant visits from the steward. Things just get out out of hand too fast otherwise.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
Can you leave instructions at the beginning of your trip that you don't wish turn down service or you don't need the ice bucket filled?

My sister's MIL was so squicked about the steward touching her nightgown (her ship did the nightclothes origami at turn down) that she brought an extra one just for that purpose and hid the one she actually wore every night in her suitcase.  ;D
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

DavidH

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
I think the easiest solution is the "Do not disturb" sign on the door.  Another option is to tell the steward one the first day that you would prefer they only service the room in the morning or not at all as you want.

Paper Roses

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
"Nightclothes origami"?  Really?  I've never heard of it, but is it what it sounds like?  Do they actually get out your nightclothes and make origami out of them?

And if that's the case, what if you sleep in the altogether?
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

SciFiLeslie

• Hello Sweetie!
  • Rule #1: The Doctor lies
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
"Nightclothes origami"?  Really?  I've never heard of it, but is it what it sounds like?  Do they actually get out your nightclothes and make origami out of them?

And if that's the case, what if you sleep in the altogether?

The very first cruise I went on in 1979 (back when Carnival only had 3 ships and at least the one I was on was a converted cargo ship) our steward always arranged our night clothes on the bed as if someone was in them (and perhaps taken by the Rapture)  I was 10 at the time and was greatly amused by it.

But if you don't want service, or limited service (fresh towels are great) try to let him or her know on the first day.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Sorry to derail but do you leave your pajamas out or do they get one from the drawer where you've stored it?

I always leave the DND sign on a hotel door (except for when we lived out of a hotel for 5 weeks, in which case I arranged for housekeeping to come once per week). On a cruise I suppose I'd ask for just one visit per day or maybe every other day, depending on what I needed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
Because cabins on a ship are so much smaller than your average hotel room, it is more difficult to keep tidy, with luggage and clothing taking up the space around the bed, desk and bathroom.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Because we'll soon be taking our 40th cruise I think I may speak from a certain perspective. 

You are on a ship for a wonderful vacation.  Still, you must always keep in mind that you and the people who serve you are literally in 'the same boat'.  Those who serve you work long, hard hours.  Anything you can do to make their jobs easier will be greatly appreciated. 

1) Meet your cabin steward as early as you can after boarding.  Let her/him know if you are early risers or late sleepers. Let the steward know if you would like ice in the morning or the afternoon.  That sort of information tells the steward that s/he can do up your room at 8 AM and get it over with. 

2) Keep your room neat.  I know it's tempting to leave things all over the place.  Don't do it.  One of
f the first things we do when getting into our cabin is to designate a bag for dirty laundry and find a drawer in which to put it.  We make sure that other clothing is put away before we leave the cabin.  These people have enough to do without dealing with your sloppiness. The worst we've ever done is leave a panama hat on top of the TV.  In our experience, TVs enjoy a nice hat now and then.
C
3) You will get a visitation from the steward in the evening because ships do a turn-down. It's
considered a nice thing to put chocolates on your pillow, place a towel animal on the bed, alert you that the time will be changing and leave fliers about the junk de jour on sale in the morning.  Please know that s/he is also there to make sure that nothing is amiss in your cabin.  It may seem romantic to you but it is verboten on a ship to burn incense or candles.  That's one of the reasons for the turn-
down visit.

4) Remember  that the guy who cleans your toilet may just be the guy who can get you into a
lifeboat in case of an emergency. Always treat these people with respect.  They deserve it.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:19:47 PM by Thipu1 »

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »
Sorry to derail but do you leave your pajamas out or do they get one from the drawer where you've stored it?
They use towels or clothing that is left out, along with sunglasses or other accessories (again, only if they're left out) and fold them into the shapes of animals, sea creatures, dinosaurs, flowers, etc.

Type "cruise ship towel folding" into Google Images for examples.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:58 PM »
In every cruise I've been on, the steward always made a point on the first day to introduce himself. That's the time to make any special requests. (Mine is always to clear out the mini-bar fridge so I can put my own stuff in it. :)) Just let him know that you don't want turn-down service or whatever.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
Good grief!  The towel folding is adorable but do I really want someone who has been cleaning rooms messing with my towels more than necessary? 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
The towels they use for folding are in addition to the towels left in the bathroom.

Also, most housekeepers/stewards use gloves and change between rooms.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
I really wouldn't worry.  Ships are very concerned about cleanliness and cabin stewards don't have the time to go messing around passengers' things.  If you leave a shirt lying on the bed you might find it folded on the sofa but that's about it.  The evening animal may be wearing a hat or sunglasses but only if the things have been left in plain sight. 

It is a good thing to get hold of you room steward as soon as you can.  As someone else said, you can have the mini-bar cleared out or request other services. 

On a ship, you can expect to have other visitors as well.  You may have an engineer stop by to check plumbing or lighting if there's a problem elsewhere.    In some cabin categories you may have a butler who delivers chocolate-dipped strawberries or a plate of canapés in the afternoon.  Mr. Thipu complained that the butler is better dressed for work than he is on formal nights.  As I mentioned earlier, I once came back to pick up a book and found a florist watering the plants.  However, most cabins don't have plants like that. 

On the whole, just sit back and relax. 

cb140

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 12:34:03 PM »
Good grief!  The towel folding is adorable but do I really want someone who has been cleaning rooms messing with my towels more than necessary?

The towels they use are extra ones, not from your towel supply. In fact one problem with towel animals is that you end up with all the extra towels which are usually just the small hand sized ones, not the useful big ones!

Also, they wear gloves to do the cleaning so you don't have to worry about that side of it

Edited to add: @ladyknight, snap lol!