Author Topic: Cruise Steward Awkwardness S/O B&B Awkwardness  (Read 5408 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Cruise Steward Awkwardness S/O B&B Awkwardness
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
Hysterical!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »
The towels they use for folding are in addition to the towels left in the bathroom.

Also, most housekeepers/stewards use gloves and change between rooms.
Oh, I see.  It gave me the creeps to think about it, especially the going from room to room cleaning.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Peregrine

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Is it just me, or does the first one look like a trussed up Turkey waiting to go in the deep fat fryer? ;D  What was it supposed to be?

LeveeWoman

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »
Is it just me, or does the first one look like a trussed up Turkey waiting to go in the deep fat fryer? ;D  What was it supposed to be?

It looks like that to me, too.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »

One of my favourites.

:-)

I must say I had a hard time at first getting used to being 'served' on cruises.  I felt terribly guilty watching the staff bustle around, catering to one's every need, while I sat there with a cocktail.  It took a long time before I could convince myself that this was their job, and that they expected to 'take care' of me.  It doesn't mean I treated them badly; it just meant that I let them do what they expected to do.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »
The first picture is supposed to be an orangutan.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »

That was the one that creeped me out. 

gellchom

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »
Once on a cruise we returned to our cabin to find that the towel art for the evening was ... ME!  The steward had used a LOT of towels to construct a slightly larger than life sized woman sitting on the sofa, wearing my hat, scarf, sunglasses, and tote bag.  On the table in front of her were a few items of my makeup from the bathroom and a mirror, which she seemed to be looking at.  It was amazing.  My brother and his partner had a life-size towel snake charmer sitting cross legged on the floor, with a towel cobra in front of him.  The steward had used one of the ship's signature bread sticks for the flute.  Just adorable.
It didn't bother me at all that she had used a few of my items.  We really liked this steward and chatted with her every day, and anyway she dusted and cleaned around all that stuff, which was either on the dresser, hanging from hooks in the closet, or on the bathroom counter; she didn't go through drawers.
Thipu is exactly right about keeping your stateroom reasonably tidy.  It's considerate of your hard-working steward, and you'll be very glad.  I always unpack immediately and get the suitcase under the bed, even when we have plenty of room.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »

I was trying to see a sloth.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

NyaChan

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
I prefer that it be a turkey :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »
We also have to remember that service personnel on ships get lodging, meals and uniforms but not much pay. They also sign on for a contract, don't get ashore much and have other duties such as safety drills that passengers don't see.  It isn't an easy life.

These days, there's usually a daily service charge added to tip cabin stewards but no one would turn down an extra 50 USD or so at the end of the voyage.  We make sure they get it. 

Giving good, cheerful service goes a long way towards getting a nice tip on the last night.  A massive towel sculpture just might do it and the one described above sounds amazing. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
Our stewards and assigned waiters have been wonderful each time we cruised. We always bring little gifts and cash for the tip. Phone cards are very popular, since they only see their families for a few weeks a year.

sunnygirl

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »
The one time I took a cruise, I folded my tip for my steward at the end of the cruise into an origami shape. It wasn't as nice or complex as the towel origami, but I hope he appreciated it anyway.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »
Towel art - not on a cruise, but at a five-star all-inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen. Among the towel creations were a mermaid, a dinosaur, an octopus, two snakes in a tree, and an elephant.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Figgie

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »
A lot of the Disney resorts do the towel sculptures too.  And there were huge fights on a Disney board about people taking home the towel sculptures. 

Some people refused to understand that the towels belong to the place they were staying and that taking those towels (even if the were in the shape of a rabbit) was stealing.  Fortunately, that was a fairly small sub-set and most people understood that pictures of the towel sculptures were all they were allowed to take. :)