Author Topic: Greatest comebacks . . .  (Read 3918 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Greatest comebacks . . .
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
I teach at a Title I school - it is also an older building but not one of the oldest. So we are waiting for remodeling or  building a new building at the other end of our property. Because of the apartments they come from our kids have an undeserved reputation as a bunch of hoodlums. Honestly at district wide events our kids and teachers are better behaved that the "well off schools"

At a science event
I told a couple of my kids to slow down got Yes Ma'am as a response. Teacher from school D went off on how can you teach such horrible JD kids. Then her kids ran through knocking me to the floor. My kids rushed to help  me. Her kids called me a *****. I looked at her and told her these are good kids - those are not.

They come by it honestly their parents and teachers told them to take
*candy from our table
*Demand to use our Ipads because we were hogging them and should share. They are from a grant I was apart of. 2 teachers from their school had the same grant.
*Demanded that we give our pizzas because their kids were hungry and we could take their pizzas when they were delivered. (Expected to be first because their schools come first alphabetically) Coworker told them "Surprise you are not the center of the universe, go sit down in your area"

*When told to stack their chairs at the end of the event they refused and left saying that is an custodian's job (tone custodian = stuff on bottom of your shoe) Our kids stacked all the chairs - because as they told us "we can't be that mean to the custodians they are having to work on a Saturday"

The our 5th grade science teacher spoke to the head of district science. The next year we and a couple of other schools that had been treated similarly were given private rooms. The offending schools were in a common area. The head of science refused to let them leave until they picked up all their trash. Now we are all given rooms and they are inspected before the teachers can leave.

After convocation where Dr. R was very clear he was tired of hearing about population as an excuse for not doing well, A teacher from D school came up to me. She said oh you're from S school you did well last year for your population. (tone our kids = scum of earth). I looked her in the eye and said "I teach kids what do you teach?"

Found out at a inservice later in the year Dr. R was standing just around the corner and heard the exchanged. The other teacher got called up on the red carpet and told to improve her attitude. The reason I found out was her co-workers told me I was not welcome at the inservice because I got their friend in trouble and should leave. I laughed at them, smiled and said "Sweetheart, I grew up in the big leagues playing with River Oaks Heiresses and Memorial Princesses. You don't scare me" and sat down. They stood around me saying you need to leave. The district head of reading saw that was going on and  told them to leave and report to the district office. I swear they act like HS mean girls from a bad movie. They haven't bothered me again - and my coworkers haven't been given any grief - they have been told I'm a total (bad word). Which blows my coworkers' minds. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »
DH was talking to some colleagues the other day about some server issues they were having at work. They were going really slow and couldn't figure out why. As they were throwing out ideas and solutions to the problem, one guy muttered "What is it going to take to make this thing go faster?"

DH's response: "Tape a cheetah to its back!"

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Jocelyn

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »
My father was visiting with a friend who was a farrier to a Clydesdale hitch used for advertising purposes (no, not that one, this hitch no longer exists). A man came up and started asking the farrier questions about his job, as he was going about his business. Most of the questions were OK, but finally he asked, 'How much money do you make?'
The farrier set down the Clydesdale's hoof, straightened up, and replied, 'I tell my friends, and the other folks JUST. DON'T. ASK.'

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »

Found out at a inservice later in the year Dr. R was standing just around the corner and heard the exchanged. The other teacher got called up on the red carpet and told to improve her attitude. The reason I found out was her co-workers told me I was not welcome at the inservice because I got their friend in trouble and should leave. I laughed at them, smiled and said "Sweetheart, I grew up in the big leagues playing with River Oaks Heiresses and Memorial Princesses. You don't scare me" and sat down. They stood around me saying you need to leave. The district head of reading saw that was going on and  told them to leave and report to the district office. I swear they act like HS mean girls from a bad movie. They haven't bothered me again - and my coworkers haven't been given any grief - they have been told I'm a total (bad word). Which blows my coworkers' minds. 

I saw this in something on a male vs. female thing - but I've seen similar attitudes on any superordinate/subordinate study (majority/minority; us/them - however you want to phrase it - there are a LOT more similarities than most people would be comfortable thinking).

An assertive member of the male (majority, superordinate) us group is seen as a "good thing".  An assertive member of the female (minority, subordinate, them) group is seen as a "bad thing" and dismissed with words like "uppity", "female dog", or other put down, depending on the exact nature of the group being labeled.  The "bad word" might be sexist, racist, religion-biased, or something else - depending on the "target".

But you're seeing the impact of that kind of thinking - "we" (our group) is superior and "you" (your group - whatever it is) must acknowledge that and (most importantly) do what WE tell you to do. 

If you don't - then they bad mouth you, because they can't do much of anything else.

Phooey on them.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »
When I was a teenager, I worked part time in a smalltown newspaper as a typesetter and graphic designer. (Back when computers were a pretty new thing and they couldn't find anyone older to make the, work.)
There was another girl my age in the office whose brother would hang around on a fairly regular basis. He considered himself quite the ladies man and one day when I was alone in the office getting a large project together before a deadline, he came in and parked himself at his sister's desk.

He then asked, "Sooooo...what do you think of me?"

I replied distractedly (and honestly), "I don't."

"What kind of answer is that?"

"A busy person's answer."

I think I might have hurt his pride because he gave me a wide berth after that. I'm glad I was distracted, I was terribly shy and would have gotten flummoxed at such a question otherwise.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »
^^^  Sounds like maybe he needed that!  I suspect his ego eventually reinflated.  ;D

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 07:29:39 AM »
Oh, I'm sure it did.   Many of the girls in town thought he was the cat's pyjamas.  ;D
FTR, he was actually a nice enough fellow, just a wee bit full of himself.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
We had a fairly laid back wedding reception here at the hotel and after it dispersed some of the guests wanted to hit the bar. It had closed for the night and one of the men said plaintively to me "now what am I going to do?" Without missing a beat I smiled and said "stay sober?"  One of his friends heard me,  laughed,  and said "good idea".

Another time I answered the phone at about 1 AM and a guest asked me if I could give him a wake up call at 4:30 AM. I replied "well I can, but are you sure you want me to?" He sighed and said unfortunately yes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:29:56 AM by iridaceae »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
We had a fairly laid back wedding reception here at the hotel and after it dispersed some of the guests wanted to hit the bar. It had closed for the night and one of the men said plaintively to me "now what am I going to do?" Without missing a beat I smiled and said "stay sober?"  One of his friends heard me,  laughed,  and said "good idea".

Another time I answered the phone at about 1 AM and a guest asked me if I could give him a wake up call at 4:30 AM. I replied "well I can, but are you sure you want me to?" He sighed and said unfortunately yes.

LOL! Sounds like something DH says.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

chibichan

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
I once had an obnoxious , misogynistic guy work for me temporarily for a hellish 3 week period .

Keep in mind that this bozo knew nothing about the million dollar piece of equipment thatI had worked for years to perfect and keep running .

His non-stop " suggestions " to improve the operation were not only unsolicited , they were usually worthless and he seemed unable to grasp that a mere female should be capable of handling such a sophisticated machine .

His job was to remove the finished parts from a conveyor belt and place them on a metal rack . He barely had that under control and I had to train him anew almost every other day .

Mercifully , the time finally came for him to return to former job . A few of his female co-workers poked their heads into my room and said " Hey Brad ! We hear you're coming back to XYZ department next week ! "

Brad looked up , sneeringly glanced my way and said " Well , this is really a girl's job anyway . "

I just looked at him and said in the most condescending tone I could muster :

" Yeah , but you tried. That's the important part ."

The women cracked up - it went right over his head .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
I knew a misogynistic guy who scoffed at my writing a fanfiction that involved a female on a boat.  "There weren't any females on ships then! Especially pirate ships, they believed it was unlucky!! There were no female pirates AT ALL!"

Now I will give him that some thought it unlucky but still, I couldn't help but say "Oh? What about Anne Bonney, Mary Read and Grace O'Malley?" 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata