Author Topic: Living With a Nerd.  (Read 4113 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Living With a Nerd.
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
The twist on the SS thread about people who find elevators the most interesting part of Las Vegas could lead to another thread that would be fun.

I recall a story about a woman whose father was a fanatic about trains.  For several years she lived in Paris.  Her apartment was nice but her living room overlooked the switching yards of the Gare du Nord. 

When her Dad came to visit he was riveted to the front window and exclaimed, 'What a marvelous view!'

I know people who loved 'Lawrence of Arabia' because of the cars. 

Mr. Thipu worked for many years buying and selling wholesale electric power.  Whenever we travel to a place with overhead electrical lines, he'll dig out the binoculars and muse on the capacity of the lines over our heads. 

Yes, we do have a collection of glass and ceramic insulators as well as a section of  345kV self-contained fluid-filled submarine cable. That was presented to him as an award. 

What innocent but odd interests do you or members of your circle have?

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: Living With a Nerd.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
Cell towers- WulfieWoman works for a cell phone contractor who constructs towers. She will frequently muse on who's towers they are when we go by.  We added an extra stop to our visit to the fair last year so that she could go up to a COW (Cell On Wheels) which is a portable cell tower that one of the companies put in the parking lot to handle some of the extra signal load.

kymom3

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
My dad can do that with the electric lines.   ;D  He worked for the local Rural Electric for 40 years, so wherever we were traveling in the US he knew who's lines we were going by.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »
Im a big truck fanatic. Im sure you gathered that by my screen name  ;D.

I have jewelry made from big truck parts.

mmswm

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
My father and telecommunications.  He's "the" expert with a particular switching technology.  Actually, there are certain features we take for granted today that would not have existed (or at least not been available at the time they were available) without him.  The research arm of his company came up with the Great New Nifty set of features, but the problem was that they didn't mesh with the switching system that was available at the time (the telecommunications system was just switching from analog to electronic switching at that time).  Dad set to work and figured out a way to make it work and was instrumental in designing the hardware so the Great New Nifty Features could work on a large scale.

Anything that has even the slightest bit to do with telecommunications technology will immediately grab his attention and he'll be fascinated for hours.  His house is sort of like a museum with antique phones and switching equipment from nearly every era in telephone/telegraph history.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »
My dad can do that with the electric lines.   ;D  He worked for the local Rural Electric for 40 years, so wherever we were traveling in the US he knew who's lines we were going by.

We had an interesting encounter in Port Canaveral. A Disney ship was in port and we walked over to take a look.  We were stopped by a retired gentleman who was checking passes at the entry to the parking lot. 

There weren't many cars coming in so we chatted for a bit.  It turned out that he and Mr. Thipu had worked on the design of the same small power plant.   They had a wonderful time reminiscing (or rather grousing) about the company for which they had both worked. 

I think both of them enjoyed the meeting. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »

Same with DH.  It's a running commentary.

I have to call out myself.  Last weekend, I took my daughter and her friend to an amusement park.  They split for rides afar, and I had a grand time seated in shade watching construction workers build the new waterpark.  Dump trucks and cranes were far better than the park itself  ;D.

Lynn2000

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »
I'm a molecular biologist. When my mom shows me a new flower in her garden, with petals coming out of weird places or something, I immediately start talking about the possible genetic mutations that led to it...  ::)
~Lynn2000

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
I worked for a printing company for over 20 years ...I like to feel the paper something is printed on. 

Invitations & announcements capture my attention also - are they centered properly, is the font the correct size and spacing, is the ink color consistent.  Then is the wording correct?  (Reception following ceremony or no reception information, etc). 

Anything spelled incorrectly almost throws me into a tizzy rage, especially if I see something I have spelled wrong!

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
I'm a skyscraper fan, big time. I have been, ever since I was a kid, and I've got the book collection to prove it.
But I'm also an artist and creative type, so this bleeds over into my creative endeavors. I've been drawing personified skyscrapers for years, and now I've started cosplaying as them.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
Since I started working for a cell company, specifically in the 'building the towers' area, DP is obsessed with them. Cracks me up when we go on trips and she's asking me what kinds of antennas are on structures, and playing 'spot the stealth tower'.

My grandfather was a BellSouth man (Southern Bell when he started there) and still talks about switches, and line, and poles, and how this technology works.... he's got some really cool pieces in his telephone history collection, too - not just insulators and old phones, but (my favorite) a old pay phone coin box cover from the Olympics where they changed from Southern Bell to Bellsouth - I think it was in the 80s.

I'm a Disney geek, but mostly a Magic Kingdom geek. I can (well, could, until they did the most recent renovations) walk around blindfolded and show you every restaurant, shop, bathroom, water fountain, ride entrance, service entrance, character greeting place, mobile cart stopping spot, and hidden Mickey in the place. Of course, that's all dated to the early 90s now, so I'm still useful but not nearly as 'scary' as I used to be in the parks - mom and dad were amazed that I knew the best way to get everywhere in the park, but could get lost on the way home from my school, which was five blocks in a straight line from one to the other.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
My father-in-law was a physics professor. He loved watching the kids on the playground and was always figuring out the forces on the kids as they played on the swings and merry-go-rounds. Of course he did this with cars and bicycles, too. So, at least if the conversation lagged, there was stuff to talk about.

Lucas taught physics on the high shool level, and one of their annual field trips was to Great America, and, of course, to make the trip worthwhile, his students had to do the same thing about the rides as father-in-law did. Even if their estimates were wrong, they got credit for solving the problems they designed correctly. At least he shuts up about the imposibility of feats on movies.

Lucas is also always talking about electricity at random, but it's really great when I want to know if I can plug in two crockpots or a crockpot and the microwave into the same circuit. It did make me mad when I asked if the car plug converter thingie I got, which does quite well the computer, would power my curling iron and he laughed. Hey! at least I knew to ask.

I could be the same way about grammer, but I contain myself.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 05:42:25 PM »
The first gift my husband gave to me was the flat spring from the seat of a car, which he dug out of a dumpster.  It was this square spiral of heavy gauge wire with a thinner gauge wire wound around it like a coil.  He thought it was wonderful.  To say he tends toward the odd is an understatement, and I wouldn't have him any other way.  . 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
M is a tremendous WWII buff... to the point that if we're watching a WWII movie, I'll inevitably hear "So, Germany was using US trainer planes in the Battle of Britain?  Good to know."

Also...  Rednek grayvy, tihs is awl 4 u!  Hoap u liek it!!1!

mmswm

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
Some people have posted about their own nerdienss, so I'll share mine.  I'm a total math geek.  Think Dr. Charles Epps on Numbers, kind of math geek, but without a Ph.D. I can find the math in anything. :D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)