Author Topic: Living With a Nerd.  (Read 5009 times)

doodlemor

Re: Living With a Nerd.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 09:42:05 PM »
Not exactly a text book knowledge..........

My husband used to work with felons.  He claims that he can spot them in public when we are out and about.

I think that he is probably right much of the time.  He once claimed that a man we saw working at a recreational  facility looked like a criminal.  I discounted his opinion at the time, but unfortunately he was right.  There was an article in the newspaper when the man committed another crime.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
My father built very big things, and took lots of pictures. It was a running joke in our family to go through his photo albums.
Look, a bridge!
Hey, another bridge.
No it's the same bridge.
Another great picture of the bridge.
No, that's a different bridge.
What's that?
The underside of the bridge.
That's the bridge from the other side of the river. 

Repeat with overpasses, skyscrapers and dams.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »

My husband used to work with felons.  He claims that he can spot them in public when we are out and about.

I think that he is probably right much of the time.  He once claimed that a man we saw working at a recreational  facility looked like a criminal.  I discounted his opinion at the time, but unfortunately he was right.  There was an article in the newspaper when the man committed another crime.

I don't know what exactly it is, but it is true for me as well.  There is just something shifty feeling about them.  I've known several police officers and attorneys with this gift as well.  I'd like to say mine is work related, but the truth is, it's always been a weird talent of mine.

My DH can always pick out musicians.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 12:54:10 AM »

I have red flags that go up when I meet certain people, meaning that something is not quite right about them, and I am usually right.  My husband also has red flags and more often than not ours go up together. 
Me (after meeting or seeing someone) :  'I don't know why but my red flags are flying...."
Husband:  "I do know what you mean!"

I don't know what exactly it is, but it is true for me as well.  There is just something shifty feeling about them.  I've known several police officers and attorneys with this gift as well.  I'd like to say mine is work related, but the truth is, it's always been a weird talent of mine.

My DH can always pick out musicians.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Promise

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »
My Dad's is trains. He built a huge world with mountains, cities, farms, etc. in our basement and took up the entire space. Every vacation had something to do with trains. If we drove out west, we road the train at the Grand Canyon. If we went to Chattanooga, we went to the museum. You get the picture. It wasn't too bad because the train was one excursion among the other normal "other" excursions. However, once he retired he would make special trips to train yards, get friendly with engineers and rail yard staff just so that he could wander around the trains to take photos. He has slide reel after slide reel of trains from all over the country. Sadly, he's having to disassemble and sell his collection because of having to move into a smaller, handicap accessible condo. He'll always have his memories.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 02:22:43 AM »
The first gift my husband gave to me was the flat spring from the seat of a car, which he dug out of a dumpster.  It was this square spiral of heavy gauge wire with a thinner gauge wire wound around it like a coil.  He thought it was wonderful.  To say he tends toward the odd is an understatement, and I wouldn't have him any other way.  .

That is I think, one of the cutest things I have ever heard!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 06:53:37 AM »
I recall a story about a woman whose father was a fanatic about trains.  For several years she lived in Paris.  Her apartment was nice but her living room overlooked the switching yards of the Gare du Nord. 

When her Dad came to visit he was riveted to the front window and exclaimed, 'What a marvelous view!'

I have fellow-feeling for this gentleman.  I'm a railway fanatic myself, especially for the old-fashioned and quaint aspects of trains-and-railways. In my teens, I spent several months in Paris, supposedly to learn about French culture / literature / art; but what I found most interesting and delightful about that stay, was the local railway scene.

My brother is a fairly cool character, not really given to nerdy traits. (Over the years, I've done a lot of boring him with my railway obsession, which on the whole he endures patiently.)  He gets plentiful fun from musing on, and fantasising about, the "nerd phenomenon".  He says in jest that if he were ever to become a nerd, he'd fancy the hobby (which I gather, does actually exist -- and why not?) which revolves around all aspects of barbed wire: the different "shapes and makes" of the stuff, and which of same are favoured in different parts of the world, and the history of the different sorts.

Brother also talks of inventing a brand-new nerdy pursuit: his latest idea in that line, is a passionate interest in Sellotape (American, Scotch tape), in all its different varieties, from different countries -- including assembling a large collection of samples of the assorted kinds.

And, I have a friend who collects banknotes (American, bills) -- not to spend, but to cherish and keep (they have to be in perfect mint condition). He is interested in the differing serial numbers on the notes: wants to have one of each, which means a totally unattainable goal -- that being in itself part of the fun.  What with my own kinds of nerdiness; I feel I'm in no position to mock...

Phoebelion

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »
With me it's chrome plating.  There's just something about that nice smooth shiny surface.  Worked over 10 years in the field.

For DH - it's old cars.  He walks around swap meets grumbling that stuff is mismarked as to what kind of car - make, model, year - something is for.  I gently remind him that not everyone is as knowledgeable as he his.  He tends to think the vendors do it on purpose - a buyer beware thing.  His greatest treasure right now is a set of Illinois license plates we found when cleaning out my parents house from long time ago tthru the 80's.  I never knew at one time they were made of thick cardboard.  A real find according to him.   And I make him keep his ton of embems in his hobby room.  We go thru a lot of wax.  As well as his collection of Motor Manuals that he is constantly looking for.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »
I'm a skyscraper fan, big time. I have been, ever since I was a kid, and I've got the book collection to prove it.
But I'm also an artist and creative type, so this bleeds over into my creative endeavors. I've been drawing personified skyscrapers for years, and now I've started cosplaying as them.

If you haven't visited, the Skyscraper Museum in lower Manhattan is a wonderful place.  The bookshop there is wonderful. 

Dr. F.

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
I'm a molecular biologist. When my mom shows me a new flower in her garden, with petals coming out of weird places or something, I immediately start talking about the possible genetic mutations that led to it...  ::)

Well, floral homeotics are cool!

I recently got completely sidetracked while singing "Edelweiss" by contemplating the EvoDevo of silvery leaf hairs and their convergence in alpine habitats.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 12:15:41 PM »
I spotted a continuity error in the new Iron Man film because my job has made me into a crazy cell phone watcher.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
I'm a skyscraper fan, big time. I have been, ever since I was a kid, and I've got the book collection to prove it.
But I'm also an artist and creative type, so this bleeds over into my creative endeavors. I've been drawing personified skyscrapers for years, and now I've started cosplaying as them.

If you haven't visited, the Skyscraper Museum in lower Manhattan is a wonderful place.  The bookshop there is wonderful.

I've been to the Skyscraper Museum, it's awesome!
The NYC skyscraper I recently cosplayed as (Worn to two conventions and a Steampunk picnic) is one that while massive, and prominent due to its location (not a lot of other towers close by to obscure it) doesn't get much attention at all- One Penn Plaza. You would have to really be a skyscraper geek (or an NYC'er) to know that one. I want to do some of NYC's other under-appreciated skyscrapers too- 55 Water street, complete with Falcon puppet, One New York Plaza with phoenix heraldry on her robes (due to having survived fire), One Astor Plaza of Times Square (LOVE that spiky finned crown!), a few others. I'm also working on the San Remo- that crown's gonna be murder to build.

To prove what a skyscraper-geek I am, I'm planning a trip to Dubai, and I plan to spend lots of time with a camera, skyscraper hunting. Right now, I could point out one skyscraper on Sheikh Zayed Road (The Tower, it's called), and tell you how unusual that skyscraper is- most of Dubai's towers are built of reinforced concrete- that one's a composite- steel framing with concrete floor decks.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
Mr. Sirius is a science and math geek.  I'm an amateur astronomer.  I also play the clarinet.  When I watched "The Benny Goodman Story" with a friend, she told me, "Let's start out by agreeing that Steve Allen is faking it on the clarinet."  He was, too - and badly.  I can't watch Star Wars without grousing about Han Solo's comment about the Kessel Spice Run in 40 parsecs, since a parsec is a unit of distance, not a unit of time measurement.  It also irritates me when artists paint stars between the horns of a crescent moon, because that's impossible - the moon is still there, it's just not visible from Earth because of the angle of the sunlight striking it.  I'll stop now - I've got hours in storage.

Mr. Sirius can take a check for fifteen people, break it into 6 groups, and calculate who pays what including tax and tip...in his head.  In about two minutes.  I've watched him do it, and it never fails to amaze me.  And people who double check him with calculators have never caught a mistake yet.  I've also seen him calculate sales tax in his head on figures like $49.16 at 8.25%.  (I checked him with a calculator on that one, and he was right to three decimal places.) 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
I spotted a continuity error in the new Iron Man film because my job has made me into a crazy cell phone watcher.

The following is a Public Service Announcement directed at all eHellions

GO SEE IRON MAN 3.  DO IT NOW.

The preceding was a Public Service Announcement but does not reflect the views and opinions of Etiquette Hell.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
NO , thank you.

I hate action and adventure movies.