Author Topic: Living With a Nerd.  (Read 3422 times)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
Re: Living With a Nerd.
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »
Miss Tickle, I actually LOL at your post. My husband has a similar collection of pictures, but of a dorm sized refrigerator full of beer that was him is barracks room from his military days. I didn't think it was possible to take so many pics of this subject, but alas, i was wrong.   ;D

"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

jmarvellous

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »
I am a grammar nerd of the worst sort. It's not that exciting, as hobbies go, and I can turn off my error alarm on a whim, but it's pervasive if I am not intentionally blocking it.
I used to follow all the most prominent journalism on journalism as a field, but I have recently decided I don't need such a depressing hobby. I know a lot about vegetarian cuisine, and I find it a lot less discouraging to read food articles and cook. I guess it's not a "geeky" hobby, but I do my best.

Fiance is an encyclopedia of Zen knowledge. It is incredible how he can find a relevant teaching, word it for his audience's experience and education level, and answer myriad questions in an enriching way. He is also a bicycle geek if he's in the mood, and an expert on a certain type of music.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 04:06:03 AM »
I HAVE NO TIME UNTIL WEDNESDAY.

:D

I don't know if I qualify as a nerd or not.  I think I'm more of a fandom geek.  I love talking about books, symbolism in movies (after Les Mis, a friend and I talked for a hour about religious symbolism and how happy endings in musicals are rare*), certain TV shows (DW and Person of Interest), certain movies (Avengers movies and other sort of action/adventure/superhero ones), and I'm a gamer.

I have a collection of out of print World of Darkness books that are separated by vampire, mage, demon, werewolf, changeling, Dark Ages, and Victorian.  Does that count?  It's by what we play the most if that makes any sense.  I also got all of Transylvania chronicles for less than 50 with shipping (woo Amazon marketplace!).  And a collection of dice.

*My friend says that Sound of Music doesn't have a happy ending due to the family having to flee from the Nazis.  I see it as a happy ending because they're fleeing as a family and are all together.  However, I am more than happy to say that I'm quite odd.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »
One of Mr. Thipu's friends absolutely adored The Honeymooners.  He was so into it that he learned to drive a bus. 

Last_Dance

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 07:08:28 AM »
DF is and has always been obsessed with cars - according to his family lore, his first words were not "mama" or "papa," but car brands!

Last night we were watching "The Mentalist" and when one of the characters said the victim drove "a 20-year-old muscle car." DF immediately paused the show:

DF: the translation must be wrong, there were no muscle cars in the early 90ies! Muscle cars are from the 60ies and 70ies. The only car who could qualify is the Mustang, and only just barely. It wasn't even one of their best models! 

I'd like to point out that the car wasn't actually shown on screen until the end of the episode: we glimpsed the side during a flashback of the murder. And yes, it was a Mustang.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

Lynn2000

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
My dad is also really into cars. He can identify a car just from seeing a glimpse of it driving away, down to the exact year. At least, I assume he's correct, I've never checked, so I suppose he could just be making it up. :)
~Lynn2000

Coralreef

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
As I get older, my inner Nerd is getting more exhuberant and I have to let her out.  So, I started collecting the Kre-O Transformers.  I enjoyed the 80's animated show, so yeah... DD commented that I'll have to store the stuff when she comes over with her (future) children. 

[/right

BeagleMommy

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
I often describe my DH as a "less socially awkward version of Dr. Sheldon Cooper".  He has his favorite spots and can talk anyone into a coma about computers.  He loves sci-fi/fantasy shows and movies and has a plush Cthulu in the back window of his car.

DS is obsessed with cooking utensils.  I am probably one of the only people I know who can say, with all honesty, that I bought my son a meat cleaver for Christmas.

I love dolls.  If I find them at flea markets I will turn them over and over looking for mold lines and manufacturer's marks.  I can spot a fake a mile away.  I am also a grammar/word nerd.

My father could teach a master's level class on the American Civil War or the Titanic.  He has schematics and can tell you the precise reason the ship sank, how many survived, the temperature of the ocean.  He can rattle off historical dates like no tomorrow.  Did I mention my father got his GED the same year I graduated high school.  He's never taken any higher level classes.

Jules1980

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
Im a big truck fanatic. Im sure you gathered that by my screen name  ;D.

I have jewelry made from big truck parts.

Where did you get it?  My dad was a trucker and I would love to have piece.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
I got it from a vendor at the Mid America Trucking Show in Louisville KY. I wish I could find the card that came with it! I have tried using my Google-fu and Im not coming up with anything. Im still trying though!

Jules1980

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »
I got it from a vendor at the Mid America Trucking Show in Louisville KY. I wish I could find the card that came with it! I have tried using my Google-fu and Im not coming up with anything. Im still trying though!

Thanks!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »
I'm a sewing geek, I think.  I can't look at a piece of clothing without wondering how it was made and what the seams look like.  If it's a particularly interesting piece, I'd love to get a really close look at it to see how it was made.
I found this on the Internet one day.  http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/moy3.html

I read it intently, every word, the whole thing, then thought....'only another seamstress would find this as fascinating as I do'.    It's pretty dry stuff to anyone who isn't fascinated by the world of clothes-making.
There are pictures of it now, but when I first found it, it was all descriptions (and pretty good ones!).

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
I'm a sewing geek, I think.  I can't look at a piece of clothing without wondering how it was made and what the seams look like.  If it's a particularly interesting piece, I'd love to get a really close look at it to see how it was made.
I found this on the Internet one day.  http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/moy3.html

I read it intently, every word, the whole thing, then thought....'only another seamstress would find this as fascinating as I do'.    It's pretty dry stuff to anyone who isn't fascinated by the world of clothes-making.
There are pictures of it now, but when I first found it, it was all descriptions (and pretty good ones!).

Oh, wow! I have about 50 questions and comments. That is so interesting! And yes, I used to tailor - amateur, at home.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »

That's awesome! I wouldn't call myself a sewing geek (the only complicated things I have done are handsewn doll clothes) but it is fascinating to see the style and structure of something from so long ago.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 06:01:19 PM »
Ancient clothing can be fascinating.

The Library had a book detailing the way the cut of the toga changed during the Roman period.  It included cutting patterns for the garments and instructions  for taking proper measurements to make a stage toga look like a real toga instead of a bed sheet.  Even an early toga was surprisingly complex.  The book even included a chart of the colors that the murex could provide. 

Whoops!  I'm giving away part of my own nerdiness.  I suppose I could do worse.