Author Topic: When you can barely speak due to a medical condtion.  (Read 1597 times)

Ezio

When you can barely speak due to a medical condtion.
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
I have severe TMJD and at times it can make speaking painful or impossible. My job only requires me to say "how are you"? and ask them if they need a service we offer. Some customers take this as a cue to chat until the cows come home. I mean they try and get me in a full conversation with them while I'm also trying to do my job. I am also an introvert and my workplace is a madhouse full of screaming/yelling children, people talking loudly to each other and on cellphones, loud music, etc. When my jaw is acting up, my words become slurred or I mumble (as of now, nothing can be done about this).

Is there any way I can disengage myself from them? I can't physically leave the area and not all of my customers do this.
You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o'
experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty
the pot of luck.

otterwoman

Re: When you can barely speak due to a medical condtion.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »
When I lost my voice completely, I took a small white board and pen with me to work. I wrote out what I wanted to say. Customers really caught on quickly that I couldn't talk and didn't give me any grief about it. And this was when I worked retail.

delabela

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »
I'm not sure if I understand - you have to talk to customers but only for a limited purpose?  If they say yes they need the service you offer, do you have to continue the conversation, or do something like have them wait for someone else?

If you're asking how to politely end a conversation with a customer when your business with that person is done, you can always just say something like "you'll have to excuse me, I need to help the next person (get back to this report, etc)."  I frequently encounter people who can not take subtle hints that I'm trying to end a conversation, and I sometimes use "I'd like to talk more, but I have to do ABC, and good luck with XYZ," and then I leave.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
Is it possible for you to find another job that is not customer facing?  It sounds like this might be a bad fit - customers do in general expect you to be able to talk to them.