Author Topic: HOA Annual Meeting - Does this strike anyone as odd?  (Read 5034 times)

MrTango

Re: HOA Annual Meeting - Does this strike anyone as odd?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »
OP here with an update & our decision:

LadyTango and I decided that we would remove any reference from the secretary as our proxy from the form and type my name before printing it out.  We signed it, scanned it, and emailed it (as a PDF) back to the manager.

I want to go to the meeting mostly so that I can meet the board, understand how they interact with each other, and to let them know that we intend to be good neighbors.  One small concern I have is that they may interpret my interest in being involved as interest in being on the board, which is certainly not the case.

That is a fair concern.  I'll be honest, if you show up our board would be incredibly welcoming, and you'd probably get a coffee or BBQ or similar invitation from someone.  The most brilliant members would artfully get you to talk about your passions, and, gasp, there is a committee that could use you!  No pressure, but we'd love to have you!  Eventually, someone may ask you to run for the board, or similar.  You might find that you'd end up liking this.  If not, be polite and firm.  If you're interested enough to show up, even if not involved, you might end up meeting new friends and neighbors.

I spent 4 years on the board of a non-profit (A community band).  While I was on the board, we went through several big changes including a wholesale re-working of how we do our fundraising, hiring two associate conductors (one left, the other is now the interim conductor), and raising dues for the first time since the band was founded 30 years ago.  I have no desire to repeat the experience.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
OP here with an update & our decision:

LadyTango and I decided that we would remove any reference from the secretary as our proxy from the form and type my name before printing it out.  We signed it, scanned it, and emailed it (as a PDF) back to the manager.

This was a bit of a wasted effort. You cannot serve as a proxy for yourself. You ARE yourself. A proxy is, by definition, a stand-in. So your wife can be a proxy for you; your neighbor can be a proxy for you; the mailman can be a proxy for you. As long as you sign a paper authorizing them to stand in for you.

You can't stand in for yourself. So that paper has no purpose whatsoever.

A proxy is for the times when you will not physically be there.

Simply tell them that you *will* be attending, and then attend. And put the proxy through the shredder.

My DH and I sign a proxy because we jointly hold our shares, and so if one of us won't be there, the other has to sign a proxy to assign our voting right to the other person.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:57:35 PM by TootsNYC »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
Since the OP received the email from a management company, it does seem odd.  The company probably manages more than one development and most likely has a boilerplate for this sort of announcement. 

I would expect the date, time and place of the proposed meeting to be announced before proxy votes are invited. 

Our co-op employees a management firm that sends out our monthly statement and such but has nothing to do with annual share holder meetings.  This is totally the province of the board.  We're fortunate that our board has a number of lawyers and business people so it's pretty well run.  In 30 years, we have never been asked to provide a proxy for an annual meeting. 

Stirling

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
My two cents:

If there was no quorum at the original annual meeting, then there was no annual meeting.  No annual meeting legally took place, and therefore no HOA business could be conducted, including postponing the annual meeting.  So this is not a continuation of the original annual meeting.  It is a new meeting.  This new meeting may or may not be legal or qualify as an annual meeting depending on the terms of the bylaws.  Many bylaws require an annual meeting to take place on a certain date or time frame.  Perhaps the bylaws addresses what happens if there isn't a quorum at the annual meeting.   A HOA is a legal entity and if the bylaws are not followed properly the Secretary of State my revoke the HOA's charter. 

MrTango

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
My two cents:

If there was no quorum at the original annual meeting, then there was no annual meeting.  No annual meeting legally took place, and therefore no HOA business could be conducted, including postponing the annual meeting.  So this is not a continuation of the original annual meeting.  It is a new meeting.  This new meeting may or may not be legal or qualify as an annual meeting depending on the terms of the bylaws.  Many bylaws require an annual meeting to take place on a certain date or time frame.  Perhaps the bylaws addresses what happens if there isn't a quorum at the annual meeting.   A HOA is a legal entity and if the bylaws are not followed properly the Secretary of State my revoke the HOA's charter.

But then I'd have to buy a lawnmower!   :P

crella

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 03:22:57 AM »
Ours sends out an attendance slip, where you check either 'Will' or 'Will not' attend, and then you appoint a proxy at the bottom of that paper if you check 'Will not attend'. If you do not appoint a proxy (neighbor, etc) then the director of the Board is your proxy. I was thinking that they didn't send you the attendance form, perhaps.