Poll

How many people in your household (incl you) use (or have used in the past) a cPap?

2-3
3-4
5+

Author Topic: Does anyone in your home have a Cpap/BiPap/etc?  (Read 3904 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Does anyone in your home have a Cpap/BiPap/etc?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »
And the numbers in the poll are lining up exactly as I expected.

Jules1980

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
I have been using a CPAP since January of 2012. It is a torture device. It takes a long time to get used to it and I don't think I sleep any better. I wake up because my noses itches and you have to rearrange the mask to get to the itch. Heaven help you if you drool in your sleep. And there are times when it feels like I am being smothered. Now the weird thing is while I get a crap night sleep with it on, I am so used to wearing it I have a hard time falling asleep with out it.

But the end result is that my husband can sleep in the same room with me. So he is happy.

You might need another titration test.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »
I use mine, religiously. My dad has apnea, as does my grandfather, and we suspect that apnea led to the death of at least one relative on that side of the family. I have a nose only (not nasal pillow) mask, a Respironics comfortgel, and was happy with until very recently - have ordered a new one, also a Respironics, but something called a Wisp, that is supposed to be much better. I'm probably overdue for a new titration, but haven't gone in for one in a couple of years.

I get my supplies from the (uncreatively named) cpap.com - they have options for new users to get return insurance (so for a small fee, they can return the mask if it's not right for them) and also sell 'fit kits' for many masks, so if you're not happy with your mask you can try new ones, even by mail. Good prices and service, too. It's been a huge help for me, since we moved I don't have a DME supplier that I like nearby.

EMuir

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »
I have an APAP machine that automatically tells when I'm breathing in and out. It has made a HUGE difference for me. The first few nights were easy because I was so tired, after that I took some Tylenol or Nyquil to help me sleep.  Now I can't sleep without it.  I was getting to 55% or so blood oxygen level, and not only was waking up in the middle of the night, if I ate anything within four hours of bed it would get sucked up into my mouth when I slept and then I'd breathe it in.  NOT PLEASANT.

HappilyInsane

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
I got a CPAP in 2008 and I could never adjust to it. 2-3 Hours into the night, my nose would stop up completely and have me jerking awake in a panic struggling to get air. I have the mask that is like nose plugs and a chin strap because I tend to breathe through my mouth. My machine also has the heated moisture and it still does that to me. I tried taking my allergy meds closer to bed time instead of morning and using a light cold med at bedtime. Nothing seemed to help. Then DH got sick and I had to be able to listen for him during the night and I just gave up. I was on the low end of the scale when I was diagnosed, I think it was like 5 times an hour.

I keep thinking I will try it again but something always stops me (allergy season, colds, DH health issues..). It's still on the night stand and occasionally one of the cats step on the power button. It's entertaining to watch them scatter when it comes on then come creeping back to investigate it lol.

Palladium

• Gemfire Wire Jewellery
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
My DH uses a CPAP machine every night. I'd been telling him for a couple of years that he had sleep apnea because I kept hearing his breathing stop at night, but it took him becoming completely exhausted, daily headaches from lack of oxygen and nearly falling asleep at his desk for him to get a sleep study done. He was diagnosed with severe obstuctive sleep apnea, and he needs a fairly high pressure on his machine, thankfully he tolerates it very well. He didn't have any trouble getting used to it and felt much better as soon as he started, much better sleep and no more headaches. He even takes it with him if he's going to be away from home for just  1 night and last year we lugged it around Europe for 8 weeks, totally worth it.

He has a machine with a humidifier and he finds the trick is to use a nasal spray to clear his nose before going to sleep. I think you also have to spend time finding the best mask for you. You can also get special pillows for using CPAP that make it more comfortable to sleep with the mask on and make it less likely that you'll dislodge it in your sleep.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
My DH was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and attempted to use the BiPap machine.  It just did not work out for him.  The setting was so high, his doctor told him it was equivalent to driving down the interstate at 65 mph with your head out the window.  Even if he did fall asleep with it, he would remove it without actually waking up.

He ended up have the UPPP surgery along with a tonsillectomy.   That helped enormously.  He no longer snored and was finally getting a good night's sleep.  However, another sleep study revealed that he still had too many sleep apnea episodes while sleeping on his back.  So then he went to a sleep apnea dentist and got a mouthpiece which has took care of the problem.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »
I'll throw my hat into the ring with the others.   A CPAP is a good thing.

First of all, I'm single and live alone.  There is nobody around to tell me that I snore or stop breathing when I sleep, but I was the first person to tell the doctor 'but I sleep FINE!  I've always slept fine! I wake up and get to work and there's Nothing Wrong!'   But one holiday weekend visiting family, and the other person in the room said that I kept her up all night snoring, so I agreed to the sleep study.

My apnea was fairly mild, and I got a CPAP with the nose mask. I HATED it.  It was uncomfortable, and every time I put it on, I felt like I was suffocating. But I'm nothing if not persistant, so I tried it, every night.  At first, I was pulling the mask off in the middle of the night (and turning off the machine!) in my sleep.  Once, I actually took the machine apart and put it in the sink, In My Sleep.   Weird.  But I noticed something.  I no longer tore up the bed in my sleep.  The sheets stayed tucked in, the pillows stayed on the bed.  I no longer kicked my cat several times.  When I went to sleep, I had better be in a comfortable position, because I was going to wake up in that exact position!   After a few months, I managed to keep the mask on all night, and now I won't even take a nap without it.

My cat can sleep with me.  The bed stays made.  I don't need an afternoon nap on the weekends. (durn.  I loved my naps), but most of all, those persistant dark circles under my eyes are GONE.  I thought they were a side effect of night shift, but no.  I really wasn't sleeping, and didn't even know.  My blood pressure went down.  I lost 30 lbs (a drop in the bucket, I assure you), but overall, I felt BETTER.  It wasn't as earth-shattering a change as some other people, but it was a Change, and I liked it. 

At first, when I put on the mask, I would have to concentrate on breathing, all the while my brain is screaming, 'I can't breathe! I can't breathe! I can't breathe!....oh, I'm breathing...'  and eventually, I got used to it.  It's rarely an overnight thing.   My nose stays clearer when I have a cold.  heck, I catch less colds!   And I'm allergic to my cat, but she can snuggle up next to me now, because my air supply is Way Over There! 

Don't stress out about not being able to use it right away.  That happens to a lot of us.  Some people never get used to it (I know 2 people who just can't), but for the rest of us, it's nice....

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
I got a CPAP in 2008 and I could never adjust to it. 2-3 Hours into the night, my nose would stop up completely and have me jerking awake in a panic struggling to get air. I have the mask that is like nose plugs and a chin strap because I tend to breathe through my mouth.

I also sleep with my mouth open and I have severe obstructive apnea.  I had to get a full face mask that covers mouth and nose in order to use it - just could not retrain myself to sleep with my mouth closed.

Hillia

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
I just got a cpap and am still getting used to it.  I didn't have severe apnea and wasn't having major problems with daytime sleepiness, so I'm not yet seeing any major improvements.  Right now if I'm really tired when I go to bed I won't put it on, because it still takes me time to get adjusted and fall asleep.  I have the mask with the nose pillows; fortunately I don't sleep with my mouth open so I don't need a chin strap.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools