Poll

How many people in your household (incl you) use (or have used in the past) a cPap?

2-3
3-4
5+

Author Topic: Does anyone in your home have a Cpap/BiPap/etc?  (Read 3736 times)

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Re: Does anyone in your home have a Cpap/BiPap/etc?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 03:39:04 PM »
If your friend wants advice about CPAP, have you also given her your experiences?  Or does she just want to know how many random people on a board she doesn't visit wears them?  It's kind of an odd question. 

gollymolly2

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 04:03:06 PM »
If your friend wants advice about CPAP, have you also given her your experiences?  Or does she just want to know how many random people on a board she doesn't visit wears them?  It's kind of an odd question.

The results are also likely not that helpful.  I dont know the actual number of cpap users in the us, but I've got to think it's FAR less than half, which is currently what this poll reflects.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
Actually, the poll is very helpful and is giving me just what I'm looking for.

And, yes, I'm giving him info from my personal experiences as well.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
This poll isn't really designed to tell you what percentage of people use it.  Since the poll asks about the household, with no mention of how many in the household.  For example, I answered 1, even though I don't because my DH does. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »
You answered correctly then.  And, you're right, it doesn't take a percentage. I said in the first post that it really is this straightforward! Just go with it.

And I really did want random. That's why I posted it here instead of in a more controlled environment. I really do want the answers as they are here.

Have a background in statistics. Trust me, I'm getting what I'm looking for! :D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:39:30 PM by DottyG »

gollymolly2

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
You answered correctly then.  And, you're right, it doesn't take a percentage. I said in the first post that it really is this straightforward! Just go with it.

And I really did want random. That's why I posted it here instead of in a more controlled environment. I really do want the answers as they are here.

I hope you're looking for a survey of mostly women who spend a lot of time on the Internet and would be interested in clicking on a thread about cpaps. :) regardless, it's nice of you to look into this for your friend.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
My husband does.  He was snoring and snorting like a buffalo before finally getting a sleep study (egged on by sleepy me), and it changed his life.  There were adjustments to keeping the mask on, but he's used to it.  He also lost a significant amount of weight, which helped.

KarenK

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »
My DH uses a CPAP machine, but does find it difficult to sleep. He took Ambien for a long time, which worked well, but his docs wanted him off it, so he's on melatonin now, better than nothing, but Ambien was better. It's good for him, but I hate it when it blows on me!

Indigosails

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
My husband uses a CPAP. He took a year after the sleep study results to get a machine. He tried a couple different masks and settled on the nasal pillows. He says he feels so much better. He no longer gets extremely sleepy at 1 in the afternoon. He will even use it when he naps because of the difference.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 07:26:09 PM »

I hope you're looking for a survey of mostly women who spend a lot of time on the Internet and would be interested in clicking on a thread about cpaps. :)

Yep! I know our demographics here. And they're fine.

Not sure why you're not believing me that I know the conditions of the study pool! And that they're just fine. I know it's a "dirty" selection. And it's not giving a statistically clean sample. But, if I'd wanted that kind of sample, I wouldn't have posted it here and would have chosen another group.

Edited: gotta "love" autocorrect ::) changed a word I didn't want changed

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:34:18 PM by DottyG »

cutejellybeen

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
I'm trying to get DH to go in and be tested for sleep apnea- we are positive he has it, but he needs to be given a drs referral to go be tested. but first he needs a dr

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:11 PM »
DH and I both use one.  He got his after seeing how much better my quality of life was with mine.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »
but first he needs a dr

Sounds familiar. I lost my referring doctor. So I'm in the same boat with anything that I need one for with my treatment.

zinzin

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »
Do you mind sharing the purpose of the poll if it's the stories you really want? Is he worried that it's rare/weird and doesn't want to try as a result?

To the topic - I don't use a machine, nor does anyone in my house. I actually don't know anyone who does.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
I welcome the stories - I'm always interested to hear of othes' experiences and learning from others. Sometimes, you can hear of a new mask or something from someone else. So the stories are very welcome. But the purpose of the thread was mainly for the poll. Just the number of people in a random group such as this that either use one or have someone in their home use one.