Author Topic: I'm Not Sure There's a Way to Broach This  (Read 5776 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: I'm Not Sure There's a Way to Broach This
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
Which might explain the smell, paper is not only a fire hazard, but shredded paper makes great nesting material.

Or didn't you ever see friends cutting newspaper into strips for their pet gerbil, hamster, or mouse?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »
Ooohhhh, gross. I'm sorry, I would no longer be tactfull. I'd be saying on a daily/weekly basis "coworker there is a strong odor coming from your office. Would you get rid of it." And I'd be encouraging my other co-workers to do the same.

I had an office along a short hallway with 6 offices. The hallway doors were required to stay closed and company policy was to keep your door open unless in a private meeting. One co-worker changed his diet which created a lot of flactulence. We were all long term coworkers so probably little more open with each other. I had no problem going to his open door spraying air fresher and another co worker eventfully hung on the wall by his office door one of those airfreshners that release a scent periodically or you can tap a button. After a month we were still ready to kick him off the hall until his wife threatened to kick him out of the house if he didnt switch his diet.

I think what you and coworkers did was rude.  Air spray over fart smells makes the smell worse and just covers it up.  Some of those scents are really powerful and give people headaches.  At least his farts are 'natural'.   Why was your smell covering better than his original smells? 

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:27 AM »
Ooohhhh, gross. I'm sorry, I would no longer be tactfull. I'd be saying on a daily/weekly basis "coworker there is a strong odor coming from your office. Would you get rid of it." And I'd be encouraging my other co-workers to do the same.

I had an office along a short hallway with 6 offices. The hallway doors were required to stay closed and company policy was to keep your door open unless in a private meeting. One co-worker changed his diet which created a lot of flactulence. We were all long term coworkers so probably little more open with each other. I had no problem going to his open door spraying air fresher and another co worker eventfully hung on the wall by his office door one of those airfreshners that release a scent periodically or you can tap a button. After a month we were still ready to kick him off the hall until his wife threatened to kick him out of the house if he didnt switch his diet.

I think what you and coworkers did was rude.  Air spray over fart smells makes the smell worse and just covers it up.  Some of those scents are really powerful and give people headaches.  At least his farts are 'natural'.   Why was your smell covering better than his original smells?

Farts might be "natural," but I'll take an overpowering fake scent over a fart smell any day. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »

Farts might be "natural," but I'll take an overpowering fake scent over a fart smell any day. 

I'll second this......seriously, VorGuy could be a weapon of mass destruction if you feed him certain foods in any quantity (I hesitated over whether to use the term "right foods" or "wrong foods" here).

But there are foods that have skunks holding their noses and fleeing the scene (butyl mercaptin, if I recall correctly, is a major component, for those not familiar with the North American continent's master of the weapon of stink - it can be smelled for miles under certain weather conditions and will render any animal so doused unable to use its nose and possibly it's eyes, depending on the marksmanship of the particular skunk*). 

*At least until the oily liquid can be rubbed off with earth or neutralized chemically by humans (vinegar, tomato juice, & several de-skunking commercial applications).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »

I can understand your concern but since so many are effected by odors, our office only uses unscented odor neutralizes. But I'm sure that if one of the 6 of us were bothered by the smell of the air fresher they would have spoken up. None were quiet about the smell generated by him.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »

I can understand your concern but since so many are effected by odors, our office only uses unscented odor neutralizes. But I'm sure that if one of the 6 of us were bothered by the smell of the air fresher they would have spoken up. None were quiet about the smell generated by him.

If it is unscented, how does it cover up the fart odour?

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »

If it is unscented, how does it cover up the fart odour?

Because it's a neutralizer - they don't cover the scent they neutralize it.  Here's an example:  http://pureearthnaturally.com/odor_neutralizer.htm

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »
Ohhh.. I thought you were using something like Airwick or Glade Sprays.  Nothing worse than apple cinnamon fart!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
Lol @ Sparksals..I had a co worker with gastric issues and he would spray apple cinnamon spray..those are 2 scents never meant to mix!  We finally told him he had to do something because it was not only offensive to us, but customers were complaining the store cats smelled...and it wasn't them!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
Thanks, all.  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to address this.  To answer a few questions:

She hoards everything.  Paper, boxes, bags, toys, used pens, art supplies, you name it - she keeps it.  I've never actually seen food in her office, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

She never holds meetings with students in her office.  She always meets them off campus or in a conference room.  She claims her office is "too small".  ::)

IWish

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 09:34:31 AM »
Which might explain the smell, paper is not only a fire hazard, but shredded paper makes great nesting material.

Or didn't you ever see friends cutting newspaper into strips for their pet gerbil, hamster, or mouse?

POD to VorFemme. I would address this as a vermin issue.

At a previous job I took over the office of a man who was a moderate hoarder. There was no smell and no action ever taken because it was "just" stacks of paper and files. My manager cleaned out his office to make room for me. She found the desk drawers were filled with shredded paper and baby mice.  :o This was an urban office building with no other rodent problems that we knew of, yet the mice found their way in and made use of the abundant nesting material.

And I got a new desk!

oogyda

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »

Believe me, vermin will do their own shredding!

Ohhh.. I thought you were using something like Airwick or Glade Sprays.  Nothing worse than apple cinnamon fart!

Please tell me I can use that!!!  Unfortunately, the opportunity will arise  :-[
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.