Author Topic: S/O found money  (Read 1070 times)

Emmy

S/O found money
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »
What was the most money you have every found?  Where are the places you have found money?

I found $100 (5 $20 bills) outside my work.  I work in a small place that does get several visitors and one of the frequent visitors claimed the money.  (I had turned in the money to the book keeper and neither her nor I talked about it and the visitor mentioned the specific amount of money he lost, so gladly the rightful owner got it back).

There have been several occasions where I found smaller amounts between $5 and $50.  A few times I have found money in dressing rooms, one time it was blowing on the boardwalk, another time in an empty conference room before a work meeting, and in an empty classroom at college.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:48:09 PM by Emmy »

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: S/O found money
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
I found $100 bill in a storm drain.  I think I was about 8 or 9...lucky for me my arms were thin enough to get between the bars to fish it out.  GM took me shopping with it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
I found $680 in cash (no wallet) on a street in Brooklyn en route to a bat mitzvah.  It had been sitting in wet leaves for some hours.  I was with three other people and I peeled off two twenties for each of them before I knew how much I had found.  Since I didn't have a permanent job at that point it was a lucky find.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »
I once found 100 Israeli shekel in five twenty shekel bills on the street. That's about 30$. It was a lucky find because I was quite broke.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:43:27 AM »
Thousands. Couple of guys had just robbed a nearby restaurant and were apprehended by the police. I found the money.

furrcats

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:45:27 AM »
75.00 $

25wishes

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
2 $20's on the street.

magicdomino

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
A twenty left in an ATM.  It was late, well after banking hours so that I couldn't turn it in, and I figured the next person to use the machine would take it anyway.   :-\

The largest amount found on the street was $5.  That was great because my debit card wasn't working, and it was just enough to tide me over until I could get to the credit union.

Shalamar

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
Two twenties and a five on the street.  It paid for babysitting and a cheap meal out.   :)

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »
$20, three different times. Twice in a store (once it was given back to the owner moments later, once turned in to the cashier) and once in the ocean! I was a teenager at the time so it was pretty sweet.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
I'll start by saying now I would have handled things differently, but I was in college, and broke. I think it was soemething like $35-38. My friends and I had been to the beach and literally had enough money for the $1 toll on the way hojme. No more. we stopped at a fast food restaurant, to use the facilities, and as i was waiting to wash my hands, i spotted some $$ rolled up, on the sink. there wre several people in front of me, and no one took it, so I then sort of placed my purse over it, and scopped it up. those behind me had come in after i spotted it.

I figured it was someone's change, maybe a few dollars. not until we got out to the car did i realize it was a more. I split it with my friends and we then stopped for snacks!  today i probably would have looked for whoever might have set it down.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
I must not be very lucky because I don't think I've found more than loose change and maybe a $5.  I did find a meal card with about $15 still left on it, when I was in university.  Since the student hadn't put their name on the card, there was no way to find the owner.  It was like cash in the university cafeterias but those were the only places I could use it.  I was a little short that month so it helped out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
I must not be very lucky because I don't think I've found more than loose change and maybe a $5.  I did find a meal card with about $15 still left on it, when I was in university.  Since the student hadn't put their name on the card, there was no way to find the owner.  It was like cash in the university cafeterias but those were the only places I could use it.  I was a little short that month so it helped out.

I once found a laundry card that we use in my complex laundry rooms in the parking lot. It was almost cracked in half, but worked, and had about $10 on it. No name, no way to know whose it was, so I got some free laundry that week!

Figgie

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
The oddest find was in my wallet.  We were at a major tourist place and went shopping at a huge outlet mall.  I must have purchased something in over a dozen different stores, paying cash. 

I get back to our hotel and decide to replenish my cash with more money we kept in the hotel safe.  When I pulled my money out of my wallet to count how much I had left, there was a fifty dollar bill that I knew I hadn't had or wouldn't have gotten back as change.  It was kind of stuck to a five dollar bill.

And what made it worse, is that because I had bought so much stuff, I had consolidated everything into a couple of bags and tossed out the sales slips when I did that.  I knew that there was no way I was going to be going back to any of these outlet stores if there was a problem (distance and time was too much for a repeat).  I remember looking at them and thinking it was one less then to try and keep track of and tossed them in the garbage along with the extra plastic bags.

I'm the kind of person who can't even stand to take a penny at the local stores.  It drives me crazy, because if I do take one, then I have to remember to pay it back the next time I'm in the store.  So, it is less stressful for me not to take a penny.  :)

But the lack of sales slips meant there wasn't any way I could figure out where that fifty dollar bill might have come from, so I kept it and still feel guilty about 15 plus years later.

heyyoume

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
I found $250 in a book once.  I had brought about 100 with a bookcase in an online auction and it must have been about two years before I got around to reading this one.  Luckily I still had the details for the seller in my email account so I was able to get in touch and return the money.   She couldn't believe I had bothered that many years later but I would have felt too guilty to have kept it.  All other money I have found (significant sums - i.e. over twenty) I have turned in to the local lost and found or police station in case someone tries to claim it.