Author Topic: Are they yours? Don't understand the offense  (Read 7389 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Are they yours? Don't understand the offense
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 08:08:02 AM »
I messed up just last night  :-\.  I was trying to make conversation with another "Swim Mom" during practice.  She had three blond girls with her, just like herself.  Then a man appeared and one yelled "Daddy!" and the others enthusiastically greeted him, also.    She and the man chatted for a bit.

I turned to the woman and said "Daddy's little girls".  She replied "Oh, the big one is mine, the other two are his, and he's my brother-in-law".   ::)

She didn't seem offended, but I made an interesting assumption.

CakeEater

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2013, 03:24:31 AM »
I messed up just last night  :-\.  I was trying to make conversation with another "Swim Mom" during practice.  She had three blond girls with her, just like herself.  Then a man appeared and one yelled "Daddy!" and the others enthusiastically greeted him, also.    She and the man chatted for a bit.

I turned to the woman and said "Daddy's little girls".  She replied "Oh, the big one is mine, the other two are his, and he's my brother-in-law".   ::)

She didn't seem offended, but I made an interesting assumption.

I think that's a completely sensible assumption, not an interesting one. You were making a friendly, lighthearted comment and she explained what was going on. No wonder she wasn't offended.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
Actually, your words didn't assume that he was her husband.
Your words assumed that he was the "daddy," and it was based on the evidence.